Notices

iPad mini in a 2nd gen?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #441
Bazzy is on a distinguished road
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTY941 View Post
That looks awesome. Some advice, your dash kit might not work how you expect it too. There's that grey part at the top, behind the dash kit that your iPad will hit. This causes the dash kit to not lock in completely. This was my issue. I'll take pics and show you what I mean.
I measured and the iPad case I was using to slide into fits just right in between the AC vent dash bezel you're talking about. Looks like I need to trim it slightly so there's no touching:

Attached Thumbnails
iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-2.jpg   iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-3.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #443
Jbbarrette is on a distinguished road
Jbbarrette's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFerLife View Post
I'm on unlimited data with my iPhone 5, so ideally if I could jailbreak my iPhone 5 and use my unlimited data I'm golden, but I've been trying to crack that code for awhile. I'll prolly have to go to one of those shared data plans and just share a shit ton of data between my iPad and iPhone...
Just wait until att sees all the data your using with the tether, they'll be changing your plan for you!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #445
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbbarrette View Post
Just wait until att sees all the data your using with the tether, they'll be changing your plan for you!
Luckily i'm grandfathered from a blackberry device plan on Verizon.. we get unlimited data I have a jailbroken iphone and use MyWi to allow my iPad to access the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFerLife View Post
Is this something you would be willing to make more than one of? Or is it to much of a pain in the butt?
I'm thinking about making it into an actual kit, I have a feeling some people would like it but not sure there is a big enough demand. I have to get a working prototype first and then think about it. Working on the bezel today
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #446
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you there is a huge demand for these kits but people are only willing to spend $200-250 and you are going to darn nearly have that in parts so there would be no way to make money......that's why I stopped working on mine I knew that it wouldn't be worth my time to make $50-100 on each one after the amount of time to make them......that's why shops charge $800 to do it
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #447
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
I can tell you there is a huge demand for these kits but people are only willing to spend $200-250 and you are going to darn nearly have that in parts so there would be no way to make money......that's why I stopped working on mine I knew that it wouldn't be worth my time to make $50-100 on each one after the amount of time to make them......that's why shops charge $800 to do it
I think people would pay a bit more to have an integrated iPad. A half decent double din radio is like $500.. To clarify, I deleted the head unit altogether. I have a volume knob, play/pause, Bluetooth, wireless remote, 4 channel amp, etc.

So I got most of my install complete. I made a little plastic box to house the electronics and modified a Scosche piece to fit. I'm done working on it for the week, my equalizer will be here on Monday so i'll pick it back up then.

Attached Thumbnails
iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-img_1036-copy.jpg   iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-img_1286.jpg   iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-img_1038.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #448
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I personally would pay the $800 for someone like Soundman CA to do my Tacoma *IF* I was near them, or *IF* a person near me could prove they were as good at doing this as the other pro shops I have seen.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #449
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
I bought an iPad dock that had 4 speaker outputs, remote control, bluetooth, volume knob, subwoofer, etc. I chopped it up and put it in my truck. I also upgraded the door speakers since I was already working on the sound. No subwoofer, but I will prewire for one just in case.
This makes a lot of sense. So basically you're using the device as a 4 channel high level pre-out and just use a LOC on the back end to go to an amplifier? What unit are you using?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #450
youngmc is on a distinguished road
youngmc's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed that some of you are talking about jailbreaking your iphone 5 to tether to the iPad. If you have a 5 there is no reason for the jailbreak. Turn on your iPhones mobile hot spot and then search for networks on your iPad and it will show "iPhone". This does not work for any other devices other than the iPad unless you decide to actually pay for the hotspot. You all may know this but just a suggestion for those who don't.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #451
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Would this work ?
Attached Thumbnails
iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-514450.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #452
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
This makes a lot of sense. So basically you're using the device as a 4 channel high level pre-out and just use a LOC on the back end to go to an amplifier? What unit are you using?
Yes, i'm using the Scosche LC-4.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #453
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You're on the same track I was......I had mine looking great with an integrated charger and everything then I ran into issues of how to get it in and out of the dash kit somewhat easily. The hard part is not building the dash kit its integrating it in the truck to make it accessible to remove I wish you the best of luck man!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #454
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're on the same track I was......I had mine looking great with an integrated charger and everything then I ran into issues of how to get it in and out of the dash kit somewhat easily. The hard part is not building the dash kit its integrating it in the truck to make it accessible to remove I wish you the best of luck man!!
I wish him the best of luck too, because I need one of these!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #455
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see what you're saying about the silver center AC subframe piece giving you problems, so I modified the dock wiring to make a hard right and it clears with no problem. This weekend i'm going to finish it up, so far it looks like it would be pretty easy to make the kit but i'm looking for bigger fish.

When I turn on the truck, the iPad unlocks to the home screen. Then when the truck is turned off, the iPad screen shuts off.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #456

It didn't give me problems at all....my Dremel fixed that real quick
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #457
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It didn't give me problems at all....my Dremel fixed that real quick
Yea I did the same thing, then shortly after realized that I didn't have to if I cut up my brand new docking cable.. So I have to fill it in tomorrow.

So I got everything up and running, I actually added a powered 8" subwoofer under the passenger seat. I don't really like a ton of bass, and it's a perfect match for the new door speakers. I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow once I'm done sanding and filling imperfections. Still undecided on the color, but i'm thinking gloss black like the new dash.

Attached Thumbnails
iPad mini in a 2nd gen?-img_1295.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #459
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future reference.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #460
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
I made a little video of mine working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPHNgqrNVHg

Products Discussed in this Thread