LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

iPad mini in a 2nd gen?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen full iPads mounted into the dash. Wouldn't be hard to put a mini in there but why? The audio is 3.5mm jack out, that's going to sound like crap if you are into sound systems. Otherwise its more for just 'show' than anything else.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
The 3.5mm jack actually measures quite nicely. If you think that will be the bottle neck of the system think again.

I'm actually going to do it in mine I think. My AVN726e is getting a little long in the tooth. Not only that, but American Express just said I can get 20% off anything if I use my points by November 30th. I think I'm going to do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. What exactly are the benefits of doing something like this over a double din?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Steven you better post in this thread if you're gonna do that, because I have to see it!!! I would just like to do it because to me it would be a headunit on steroids. I could play radio, pandora, YouTube (shitty quality), browse the web, use navigation, be on tacomaworld!!!! Or whatever... I've always had double din's, but I can't tell you the last time I've used a CD...
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^That's basically why I want it. I NEED full internet in the car. I plan to get navigation via the iPad too. Maps won't ever be outdated again. I know they might not be fantastic right now but I got a funny feeling that they'll be getting much better in the near future.

The other thing I think will be a HUGE deal is Siri in the car. I don't want to have to type shit in while I'm on the road. I need my eyes on the road. With Siri I could say, "Siri, route me to the nearest Chipotle." and it will bring me right there. No typing, searching, and switching between shit.

Mine will be removable too. My only flaw in the plan is that I KNOW when I get in the car now I have the unit there. However, with the iPad mini I'll either need to leave it there all the time (to yield that effect) or go through the trouble of sliding it in every time.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood

I noticed in the video that they don't have any actual wired connection. I'd guess that's because the connector is so new they haven't figured out how to really do it yet. They can't charge it either. And if you're going to be using LTE in the car you'll need the power.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
^That's basically why I want it. I NEED full internet in the car. I plan to get navigation via the iPad too. Maps won't ever be outdated again. I know they might not be fantastic right now but I got a funny feeling that they'll be getting much better in the near future.

The other thing I think will be a HUGE deal is Siri in the car. I don't want to have to type shit in while I'm on the road. I need my eyes on the road. With Siri I could say, "Siri, route me to the nearest Chipotle." and it will bring me right there. No typing, searching, and switching between shit.

Mine will be removable too. My only flaw in the plan is that I KNOW when I get in the car now I have the unit there. However, with the iPad mini I'll either need to leave it there all the time (to yield that effect) or go through the trouble of sliding it in every time.
So what happens when you run over your data plan? Can't stream Pandora, search the intrawebz, etc
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
So what happens when you run over your data plan? Can't stream Pandora, search the intrawebz, etc
I'm under the impression ATT just charges you money for overages. Currently, I only use about half of my data plan. I don't plan on streaming much from the car since I own all my music. The only thing I really see burning up data would likely be NAV but I don't use that very often either.

And I watched that second video. Other than the magnets holding it in....how does that allow it to connect to the car and charge?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm under the impression ATT just charges you money for overages. Currently, I only use about half of my data plan. I don't plan on streaming much from the car since I own all my music. The only thing I really see burning up data would likely be NAV but I don't use that very often either.

And I watched that second video. Other than the magnets holding it in....how does that allow it to connect to the car and charge?
I work for att. If you're on a shared data plan it's $15 per gig overage or if you're on regular nation/family plan it's $10 per gig overage
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Sounds Gooooood

I'm on the Apple website and just noticed a lightning to 30pin connector. That might give me more options for connection. I would need a way to figure out how to get power to a 30 pin connector so it charges and also how to get analog audio out of the 30pin.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFerLife View Post
I work for att. If you're on a shared data plan it's $15 per gig overage or if you're on regular nation/family plan it's $10 per gig overage
Well there ya go. Nice to have an expert among us!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
ya if you can do it as clean as this install

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDThV...hannel&list=UL
^^damn, pretty nice. wonder how much that'll cost for a Tacoma??
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It doesn't but you could easily bondo in a spot for the charging connector and have it hidden when the iPad is in place.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Sounds Gooooood

Yeah but the connector needs to wobble a little so it allows it to pivot. I haven't gotten that worked out yet.