Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stealthbox causing rattle? please help

Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
jwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Joey
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
Stealthbox causing rattle? please help

I just purchased a jl audio stealthbox for my '10 DCSB and ever since i got it, something is rattling really bad every time the subs hit. Its not the subs hitting the back of the seat. I think its the plastic on the back. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to fix it.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
jwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of light
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
42boxer is on a distinguished road

Marines: 6114 HMLA 773
Name: Brannon
42boxer's Tacoma Gallery
Pry to play it and locate the sound better
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
did this. im almost positive it is the black plastic behind the seat hitting something and if i press on it to secure it it somewhat stops then the vibration will just move. i cant find or think of a way to fix it..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwj202 View Post
did this. im almost positive it is the black plastic behind the seat hitting something and if i press on it to secure it it somewhat stops then the vibration will just move. i cant find or think of a way to fix it..
There's a lot of plastic on metal contact in our trucks (I have a 1st gen, not exactly sure about the guts of your truck)

I'm putting raam mat and ensolite on every interior wall (rear wall fully covered, quarter-wall strategically covered).

That is going to cut down on a lot, if not all, rattles.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
Is that similar to dynamat? how much is it costing you
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that similar to dynamat? how much is it costing you
It's similar to dynomat for a fraction of the cost.

I spent $150 (shipped) and I'm able to to my entire rear wall (doubling up on the most resonant areas), strategic areas of the quarter panels and both front doors entirely. That includes both the BXT II raam mat (dynamat equivalent) and the Ensolite (a foam that breaks up higher frequencies). When used together the results are great IMO

FYI I have 98 Tacoma ext cab

Here's a link to Rick's site: http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...Foam-Products/
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
I dynamated the entire back of my 2012 and all doors...still rattles when bass is up. removed the plastics in the rear of seats. You just have to accept that if you don't dynamat the ENTIRE truck...shits gonna rattle. I'm running the stealthbox as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
I dynamated the entire back of my 2012 and all doors...still rattles when bass is up. removed the plastics in the rear of seats. You just have to accept that if you don't dynamat the ENTIRE truck...shits gonna rattle. I'm running the stealthbox as well.
When you ripped the plastic out how did you fit the stealthbox in?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You sure you didn't blow it? Thats what a speaker sounds like as its about to go out

Not saying it IS the problem, but you could be chasing your tail because of this.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
deanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant future

deanbhula1's Tacoma Gallery
I would take the black plastic off...the sub will sound better anyway cause the waves won't be canceling off the hard plastic
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the box 2 weeks ago its not busted because if i press down on the black plastic it stops. But if you take the plastic out theres no where to put the stealthbox becasuse its made to fit in the black plastic?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
I bought the box 2 weeks ago its not busted because if i press down on the black plastic it stops. But if you take the plastic out theres no where to put the stealthbox becasuse its made to fit in the black plastic?
Get some vibration isolating tape then. Even so much as a little bit of the 3M double sided might work in areas where its rattling. The 3M kinda has the same spongy properties as vibe tape. Used this on someones POS car once, shit works miracles. You should be able to pull up an edge of the back plastic, chances are its rattling where the back wall pieces meet (I believe theres 3 in total).
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you ripped the plastic out how did you fit the stealthbox in?
My system was professionally installed so I didn't put it in myself. All I know is they cut out all of the plastic, including the child safety hangars. Dynamatted the rear of the cab, four doors. Amp and lc6i module are behind the driver rear seat.

My headliner rattles now, may have to dyno the ceiling.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Foam. You can fix all these stupid plastic rattles with shipping foam and some glue to hold it in place. Gotta be creative sometimes to make it work.

Also Dynomat/fatmat, all stuff helps deaden sounds and won't always remove rattles. Plastic is the typical cause for rattles on the 2nd Gen Tacoma.