Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where to run wires (Power, RCA and speaker wires)

Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Where to run wires (Power, RCA and speaker wires)

I am about to hook up an amp to power new front speakers.

I am going to run the power lead from the amp, to the battery, under the driver's side scuff plate (that thing on top of the rocker panel).

I am going to run the RCAs from the back of the head unit to the amp under the passenger's side scuff plate.

Where should I run the speaker wires from the amp to the front speakers?

Is it okay to run them along with the RCAs or will that cause noise?

Should I run them under the center console/cup holders?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Run the with the RCA's and you won't have any issues. Make sure your grounds are good, no paint, bare metal, nice and snug.

Good luck, take pics!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
How do I run a 4 gauge power cable through the firewall?

1998 Tacoma

I see the two rubber grommets, one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side, which wiring harnesses run through.

Obviously I am targeting those as the channels to run this power cable through.

However I am stumped as to how I accomplish this.

For starters I can barely fit my hand(s) up behind the dash in either spot and can barely fit my hand between the brake booster (?) and the spot on the firewall in the engine bay.

Any tricks of the trade anyone can share with me?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
1998 Tacoma

I see the two rubber grommets, one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side, which wiring harnesses run through.

Obviously I am targeting those as the channels to run this power cable through.

However I am stumped as to how I accomplish this.

For starters I can barely fit my hand(s) up behind the dash in either spot and can barely fit my hand between the brake booster (?) and the spot on the firewall in the engine bay.

Any tricks of the trade anyone can share with me?
You will need to make a small cut in the rubber grommet to accomodate the power cable. Don't get carried away. Depending on the size of cable, it probably will not need to be more than a 1/4". I then poked a metal coat hanger through from one side. Then you can tape the power cable along a 6" length of the hanger. Don't bend the hanger or do anything that will increase the diameter of cable more than necessary. The fit is tight. Finally, give the taped section of cable a light coat of Silicone grease and pull it through while someone else pushes from the other side.