Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How do I run a 4 gauge power cable through the firewall?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
How do I run a 4 gauge power cable through the firewall?

1998 Tacoma

I see the two rubber grommets, one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side, which wiring harnesses run through.

Obviously I am targeting those as the channels to run this power cable through.

However I am stumped as to how I accomplish this.

For starters I can barely fit my hand(s) up behind the dash in either spot and can barely fit my hand between the brake booster (?) and the spot on the firewall in the engine bay.

Any tricks of the trade anyone can share with me?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Drill a hole where you can fit your hands and the wire and put a rubber or plastic grommet to keep the sheetmetal from cutting into the wire.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Drill a hole where you can fit your hands and the wire and put a rubber or plastic grommet to keep the sheetmetal from cutting into the wire.
exactly
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 2 gauge through the firewall using the existing grommet on the drivers side. No need to drill anything.

Grab a large pair of scissors and poke them through the rubber grommet in an area where the wires aren't. In fact, I believe there's a small slit in it already in an area. Poke them through the grommet to make your own hole. When you get through the other side open the scissors slightly to widen the hole. Then pull them out. After that you just push the wire on through. Easy and requires no extra parts!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
x2
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the coat hanger, poke it thru the rubber grommet,tape the wire to it and push thru reach up under dash and feel around for the coat hanger and slowly pull it through. It might take a couple of tries if the wire pulls off the coat hanger.
Another way I've done it is I have a broken aluminum arrow shaft that I cut down to 6 in with a angle point on it. Push it through the rubber then feed your wire through the center of the arrow shaft.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
x2 on the coat hanger, poke it thru the rubber grommet,tape the wire to it and push thru reach up under dash and feel around for the coat hanger and slowly pull it through. It might take a couple of tries if the wire pulls off the coat hanger.
Another way I've done it is I have a broken aluminum arrow shaft that I cut down to 6 in with a angle point on it. Push it through the rubber then feed your wire through the center of the arrow shaft.
4 gauge wire is much larger in diameter than a coat hanger or arrow shaft.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #9

I'll try getting the #3 flathead screw driver through the grommet again.

Then what I might do is affix a zip tie to the cable push the zip tie through, then reach up behind the dash and just try to pull the facker through the grommet.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

Then what I might do is affix a zip tie to the cable push the zip tie through, then reach up behind the dash and just try to pull the facker through the grommet.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
hkdontoyotas is on a distinguished road
hkdontoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen firewall rubber grommets that are tapered to what ever size harness or wire you are putting thru it. you cut at the size you need and it is self sealing in the engine side. also looks like a cv boot except the firewall side is flat with a lip to lock onto the sheet metal.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Poke through it with your largest screwdriver. Make a new hole inside the grommet, at least thats my preference. From there on its being a man and pushin hard. Sometimes you can take a smaller screwdriver, tape the shit out of the wire ONTO the screwdriver and pull it through, but 4 guage is rigid enough to just push through.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Poke through it with your largest screwdriver. Make a new hole inside the grommet, at least thats my preference. From there on its being a man and pushin hard. Sometimes you can take a smaller screwdriver, tape the shit out of the wire ONTO the screwdriver and pull it through, but 4 guage is rigid enough to just push through.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

/\ truth bomb right there. The zip tie trick also works for snaking wires through the door hose elbow things.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
2012TXbaja is on a distinguished road
2012TXbaja's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone other than me tried to route the power/ground wires from the engine compartment down inside the frame rail then up into the rear of the cab where most people mount their amplifiers? I know there are grommets in the floor of my doublecab behing the rear seats. I am going to be using two of the floor grommets to route my subwoofer wires from my amplifier box I mounted in the bed of my truck.

It's just an alternative way that I thought about running my wires. I even went as far as wrapping my power/ground wires with corrugated sleeving to help protect the wire and to also give it more of a factory look to my installation.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #17
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TXbaja View Post
Has anyone other than me tried to route the power/ground wires from the engine compartment down inside the frame rail then up into the rear of the cab where most people mount their amplifiers? I know there are grommets in the floor of my doublecab behing the rear seats. I am going to be using two of the floor grommets to route my subwoofer wires from my amplifier box I mounted in the bed of my truck.

It's just an alternative way that I thought about running my wires. I even went as far as wrapping my power/ground wires with corrugated sleeving to help protect the wire and to also give it more of a factory look to my installation.
Nothing wrong with that IMO. I've done it before....not on taco tho. It definitely helps to have some extra insulation if you're gonna be rubbin against the frame tho.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Cut a peice of the grommet with an exacto knife and silicone back, I have 2 (4 gauge) wires and 6 #12 gauge wires running through mine.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Saw you were a first gen, not sure if the grommets are different in 2nd gens
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

and then a guy walked into a bar and said "Hi, my name is Large!, I wear three legged pants!"