1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers out the wazoo!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Uncle Wayne, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Nov 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Uncle Wayne

Uncle Wayne [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacome SR5
    I have looked through all the great threads here about speakers. I have searched the internet for days. Here's the deal. I have a 2010 Access Cab. I do not plan on replacing the factory head unit. I listen to 60's, classic vinyl and bluegrass. Here's two questions. One, what damn size speaker actually goes in the front door? I've seen everything from 6 1/2" to 6" x 9" - what actually would go there? Two, I am thinking either 2-way, maybe 3-way. But, considering I don't want the thomping bass you can hear for a block, what should I consider. I appreciate, in advance, your responses.

2. Nov 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    You can do 3-ways if you find the right sized speakers...and it'll sound great! :)

If you look at my build thread in my sig, you can see that I was bairly able to fit some 9" woofers in the lower speaker position without cutting anything...just make sure they aren't too deep. The key here is getting the right sized bracket. I got mine from Mr. Marv from this forum (does amazing work)!

As for the upper area, I could have fit my mids in the stock position, but the speaker grill in the door is only about 2" in diameter and does not have big holes in it...so it blocked more of the sound than I cared for.

For the tweets, I simply attached them to the surface of sails on the door pillars.

3. Nov 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    - Double post - Oops

4. Nov 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Please dont make my hand crawl through the screen and slap you! The only good 3-way is one involving two other women!

5. Nov 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    God, thank you for posting first!!!

OP if the door speakers are the same as a double cab, 6x9 or 6 1/2 (even smaller for that matter, with correct adaptor) will fit. What's your budget? Off the top of my head I'd suggest some lower end $75.00 or so 6 1/2 two way components. You'll be suprised.

6. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    No reason to run a 3 way if you listen to vinyl tracks recorded from the 60's. About the only thing I've heard recorded REALLY well from around that time was Peggy Lee - Fever. I'm sure there's other stuff though that has the fidelity to require it but it's few and far between.

My suggestion would be to get a decent 2 way 6.5 component set. That "format" will certainly do those recordings justice and your music will sound good. The ones you go with will be determined by your price range.

7. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    factory replacement is 6x9, anything will sound better than stock. could probably get some pioneers or something for $50.

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    lol, yes, anything will sound better than stock.

Products Discussed in

To Top