Notices

Speakers out the wazoo!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Uncle Wayne is on a distinguished road
Army: SP5
Name: Wayne
Uncle Wayne's Tacoma Gallery
Speakers out the wazoo!

I have looked through all the great threads here about speakers. I have searched the internet for days. Here's the deal. I have a 2010 Access Cab. I do not plan on replacing the factory head unit. I listen to 60's, classic vinyl and bluegrass. Here's two questions. One, what damn size speaker actually goes in the front door? I've seen everything from 6 1/2" to 6" x 9" - what actually would go there? Two, I am thinking either 2-way, maybe 3-way. But, considering I don't want the thomping bass you can hear for a block, what should I consider. I appreciate, in advance, your responses.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
ToyoDrew will become famous soon enoughToyoDrew will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
ToyoDrew's Tacoma Gallery
You can do 3-ways if you find the right sized speakers...and it'll sound great!

If you look at my build thread in my sig, you can see that I was bairly able to fit some 9" woofers in the lower speaker position without cutting anything...just make sure they aren't too deep. The key here is getting the right sized bracket. I got mine from Mr. Marv from this forum (does amazing work)!

As for the upper area, I could have fit my mids in the stock position, but the speaker grill in the door is only about 2" in diameter and does not have big holes in it...so it blocked more of the sound than I cared for.

For the tweets, I simply attached them to the surface of sails on the door pillars.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoDrew View Post
You can do 3-ways if you find the right sized speakers...and it'll sound great!

Please dont make my hand crawl through the screen and slap you! The only good 3-way is one involving two other women!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Please dont make my hand crawl through the screen and slap you! The only good 3-way is one involving two other women!
God, thank you for posting first!!!

OP if the door speakers are the same as a double cab, 6x9 or 6 1/2 (even smaller for that matter, with correct adaptor) will fit. What's your budget? Off the top of my head I'd suggest some lower end $75.00 or so 6 1/2 two way components. You'll be suprised.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
No reason to run a 3 way if you listen to vinyl tracks recorded from the 60's. About the only thing I've heard recorded REALLY well from around that time was Peggy Lee - Fever. I'm sure there's other stuff though that has the fidelity to require it but it's few and far between.

My suggestion would be to get a decent 2 way 6.5 component set. That "format" will certainly do those recordings justice and your music will sound good. The ones you go with will be determined by your price range.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
factory replacement is 6x9, anything will sound better than stock. could probably get some pioneers or something for $50.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
ToyoDrew will become famous soon enoughToyoDrew will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
ToyoDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
factory replacement is 6x9, anything will sound better than stock. could probably get some pioneers or something for $50.
lol, yes, anything will sound better than stock.