LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

SWR question using 5ft Firestik

Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
SWR question using 5ft Firestik

So, after getting my Uniden 520 installed, and my 5ft Firestik (ground plane tuneable tip type) mount back at the tailgate, using a doorjamb type mount that I made, I racked my head for hours trying to get my SWR down from 3:1.... In the end, I had to ground the shell of my coax at both ends with a separate ground wire, and achieved 1.5:1

My question is, when the SWR was up around 3:1, the power was close to 4 watts, when the SWR came down, the power also came down to about 1.75 watts, is that normal ?

I was able to talk to a guy that was roughly 3-5 miles away, so I'm content with that. I might take it by a shop to see if they can tweak anything a little more for me.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Are you sure you're not reading reflected power? I'm not a SWR expert, but I've used very simlar tools.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Are you sure you're not reading reflected power? I'm not a SWR expert, but I've used very simlar tools.
Not sure... I'm not an RF person... My meter has 2 guages, power and swr... I guess if it was reflected that would make sense, I just don't know why it came down when the SWR came down... I'm assuming that's normal, and it's definitely transmitting out, I'm hoping someone can explain it a little.