Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

what is the best style subwoofer box for a DCSB

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
what is the best style subwoofer box for a DCSB

that will net me the deepest, and boomiest bass? a single sub enclosure that is ported? a two sub enclosure?

still in the planning phase, but I was banking on having a mr marv box with (2)JL 10TW3s. if one subwoofer could sound as loud as that setup, given the same space for the box, how could one achieve this? I am not versed in box building, ports, etc...

edit: sub box would be behind the rear seat fyi
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
a higher powered subwoofer could achieve it. Only problem you run into is theres not alot of high power shallow mount subs.

FYI there is no shallow mount 10 for JL. Its a 13. And yes its high power... haven't heard it though personally, yet I havent heard anything bad about it.

Of course, you can always get more 'boom' out of two speakers.... thats just common logic, but you can get equally as much sound out of a higher powered single speaker. I'm running 250 watts into a Rockford 10 with a Mr. Marv built box and you wouldn't believe that there was only a single ten in my setup.

In general, ported is louder, but at the sacrifice of sound quality. You will likely hear the air moving through the port on lower notes in a small cab such as the Tacoma. Just read up on some of our builds here on the forum and you'll get an idea!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Supposedly, the 10" versions are supposed to come out by the end of this year, they were introduced at the beginning of 2012 but that remains to be seen.

I understand that there is no replacement for displacement(i.e. two woofers are better than one), but I was just curious if there was a better solution utilizing one sub in the same airspace available that would produce more, if not the same output if ported correctly.

I guess from this standpoint, I'll stick with my original plan, which is two 10's, or maybe 12's from JL when they finally come out.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Pcyc is on a distinguished road
Name: Fritz
Pcyc's Tacoma Gallery
if you want boomy bass get a probox. they beat. If you want clean spl get a nice quality sealed box.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
a higher powered subwoofer could achieve it. Only problem you run into is theres not alot of high power shallow mount subs.

FYI there is no shallow mount 10 for JL. Its a 13. And yes its high power... haven't heard it though personally, yet I havent heard anything bad about it.

Of course, you can always get more 'boom' out of two speakers.... thats just common logic, but you can get equally as much sound out of a higher powered single speaker. I'm running 250 watts into a Rockford 10 with a Mr. Marv built box and you wouldn't believe that there was only a single ten in my setup.

In general, ported is louder, but at the sacrifice of sound quality. You will likely hear the air moving through the port on lower notes in a small cab such as the Tacoma. Just read up on some of our builds here on the forum and you'll get an idea!
have a pic of your box and setup ?