1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Specalt, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
  2. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    The thought hit me just now....

Anyone use their cell phones as a camera?

The app I have been toying around with for the past few minutes is creatively called "dashboard cam". Apparently it takes 5 minute segments I am going to toy around with it for a little bit tomorrow and give an update if anyone is curious about its quality.

3. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Most squad cars have calibrated radar that works when they are driving. The system is tuned with forks, and is hooked into the speedometer. It works by subtracting the cruisers speed from yours, and it is fairly accurate. Maybe he just wanted a reason to check you out - most officers "spidey sense" is very well tuned.

I have a DVR-027 and I love it. 1080x720 HD shooting, uses SD cards, loops, is motion activated, records in AVI format, and can charge the battery while in operating mode. Battery lasts for 4 hours of continuous shooting on motion detecting setting, so you don't need to leave it in the vehicle. Another advantage is its wide angle view - without use of a fish eye. Cost me around $70.00

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    pra4sno

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Definitely interested.

What phone?

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    I have an HTC inspire. Only a 5mp camera but it takes AWESOME pictures and videos, which is why I am still still using it as opposed to upgrading.

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    The app does crash every time my screen rotates but if its already rotated before I start to record, it work with out a hitch.

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I was planning to get a GoPro to use, but I found an app for iphone called SpeedCam that records for as long as you want, shows your speed, heading, latitude and longitude. I haven't tested it on the road yet, but it seems promising.

8. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    I ordered one of those small ones I talked about above. Ill post a review when it gets here from overseas

9. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    anyone have an iphone dash cam app that runs in the background so you can still use the map app to navigate?

10. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    Here are a few I found last night looking up some stuff about them. I took a video with my HTC inspire this morning. I'll post it in a bit as well as a few others. The app I used has a hap with it and I think it said it runs in the back ground if needed.

11. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    I use a Drift Innovation camera mounted to the passenger side A-pillar using RAM hardware. To power the camera I ran the USB cord up the A-pillar. I keep the cordless remote around my stick shift so I never take my eyes off the road to start/stop the camera. I can capture video but usually I set the camera to capture a still image every 2, 3 or 5 seconds. These images can be opened as a time-lapse movie.

I did this mod and liked the GPS mount so much I had to make one for the camera. I normally use one long arm to secure the camera to the pillar instead of the two arms + double ball as photographed below. I've driven cross country twice and several off-road trips using this setup. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    [​IMG]

This is the video I took this morning. Don't mind the small talk with my mother or the engine whine (which has gotten louder :mad: ) and the phone was being hand held, not mounted which is the cause of all the movement. The video dos smooth out after we start driving.

This app records in 5 minute segments. As I said I believe it can run in the back ground because I received a text message right before the 5 minute mark. It gave me a "recording session has ended" notification and automatically starts a new recording. It saves them to you SD card but I am not sure it it can auto loop over older ones.

As you might have guessed the camera quality (and my wind shield clearity) determines the quality of the video. Maybe a better phone will be able to pick up license plates, but pictures and videos from my phone are pretty nice.

The app does have a map, a speedo, and a compass, which you need GPS activated to use. Mine was not activated so those things were not working.

When you get into low light situations, such as toward the end of the video, my camera did not do to well from the changes in light. Could be a universal thing :notsure:

It does pick up audio as you can hear. The width of the captured area might not be able to catch both side to side in a truck, I was driving a civic.

The app did crash once when I put the phone down because we were passing an officer in one of the later clips of the drive, and since I got a few messages didnt want to create any funny business with "you were on your phone". But the app DID continue to run, not sure why it gave me the message.

And did I mention this app is FREE? :D

Take what you want form it. I am open for an upgrade and think I might just use this phone for this and a car ipod or something :p

If anyone is interested in doing this I suggest getting car charger with a "limp" cable (as opposed to the common coiled) so your battery does not die. The app starts up rather quickly so its not a hassle to get it going.

I can post a video and pictures from my phone if anyone wants to see a comparison them vs the driving quality.

Any other questions I'll be happy to try and answer, hope that helps

Android apps: Dashboard Cam (the one I used), DailyRoads Voyager. AutoGuard and AutoBoy BlackBox

Iphone Apps: DriveMate D Cam, DashCam, iCarBlackBox and DriveMate Rec.

I dont have an Iphone or Ipod, so I cant say if they are good or not. I read the first two get good reviews on a few sights.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Hamer95USA likes this.
  13. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    pra4sno

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ^ Good stuff! Thanks for the post, and for putting the work into gathering that info.

14. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
  15. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    Specalt

Specalt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4
  16. Jan 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Edit: Its junk. Its been killing sd cards. Working to return it

Got that dash cam I ordered... actually two. Dude man in china decided to send me a free one I guess? Score!

Installed this one in my Hyundai Accent. Its really small, instructions are kinda vague but you can figure it out if you have a brain. Video looks good, and the unit is very small. Had my last video segment this morning save incorrectly, not sure if I didnt wait long enough before I pulled the sd card or not. Ill try it again later on. I hooked it up to a power supply in the house and to the TV to set the date/time. Which didnt save anyways, guess the battery inside was dead. Ill update on that later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://vimeo.com/57146578

17. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    stractman

stractman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD sport, 4x4
    was wondering if you could provide some feedback on how this one works. i'm thinking about getting the DOD F500LHD dash cam (http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f500lhd/) but it's $100. if this small one is good, i'd like the cheaper option. does it loop record? do you need to install a program to view the vids? i'd appreciate any info you could provide about your experience.

thanks.

18. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Good thread ... Been using a dash cam (and a "active" rear cam) for a while ... always looking for more info on this stuff ... :D

19. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Sorry dude, I dont know anything about it. That site looks pretty good for reviews, I found it myself the other day

20. Jan 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    stractman

stractman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD sport, 4x4
    sorry. i should have been clear - my questions are about the small camera that you bought and installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top