Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Dash Cam

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I think I might pick up Beeyelluh recomended, cant go to wrong with 20$ Thanks for the answer
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
iz in ur accountz payin ur billz
Beeyelluh is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Beeyelluh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
So it records a 15 minute video and then loops back on the written video or saves it and starts a new video? Stupid question
It records a 15 minute video, then saves that video and starts recording another 15 minute video. It does this until your memory card is full, and then starts recording over the oldest saved video. You can basically "set it and forget it" until something happens to you and you take the memory card out and save it to a computer. Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #43
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Iv been looking at some for both of my vehicles. Ran across this china model the other day that looks promising...

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...Box_GPS_Logger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_Qr...feature=g-hist

I love the size of this one... but no reviews anywhere
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300721061325
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #44
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Hah... found a video. Pretty damn clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiV-_UDhiI
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #45
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The thought hit me just now....

Anyone use their cell phones as a camera?

The app I have been toying around with for the past few minutes is creatively called "dashboard cam". Apparently it takes 5 minute segments I am going to toy around with it for a little bit tomorrow and give an update if anyone is curious about its quality.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyelluh View Post
I installed a radar detector and a dashcam with audio/video after I got pulled over going 35 in a 35 coming home from a poker game late one night (cop was coming the opposite direction and flipped a u-turn). The cop asked to do a breathalizer, and I was fine with it as I hadn't had any drinks. He went back to his car to get it and when he came back he was about to have me blow into the device when he said, "Oh, this one has some alcohol left on it from the last guy, one sec." and proceeded to go back and get a "new" tip or whatever. I back police almost 100% of the time, and I'm all for keeping drunks off the road, but I was like, WTF!? I could have gotten a DUI after not drinking, and after getting pulled over for not speeding and not getting hit with radar!? Not going to let something like that happen again.
Most squad cars have calibrated radar that works when they are driving. The system is tuned with forks, and is hooked into the speedometer. It works by subtracting the cruisers speed from yours, and it is fairly accurate. Maybe he just wanted a reason to check you out - most officers "spidey sense" is very well tuned.

I have a DVR-027 and I love it. 1080x720 HD shooting, uses SD cards, loops, is motion activated, records in AVI format, and can charge the battery while in operating mode. Battery lasts for 4 hours of continuous shooting on motion detecting setting, so you don't need to leave it in the vehicle. Another advantage is its wide angle view - without use of a fish eye. Cost me around $70.00
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #47
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
The thought hit me just now....

Anyone use their cell phones as a camera?

The app I have been toying around with for the past few minutes is creatively called "dashboard cam". Apparently it takes 5 minute segments I am going to toy around with it for a little bit tomorrow and give an update if anyone is curious about its quality.
Definitely interested.

What phone?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #48
Mr. President

I have an HTC inspire. Only a 5mp camera but it takes AWESOME pictures and videos, which is why I am still still using it as opposed to upgrading.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #49
Mr. President

The app does crash every time my screen rotates but if its already rotated before I start to record, it work with out a hitch.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #50
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I was planning to get a GoPro to use, but I found an app for iphone called SpeedCam that records for as long as you want, shows your speed, heading, latitude and longitude. I haven't tested it on the road yet, but it seems promising.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered one of those small ones I talked about above. Ill post a review when it gets here from overseas
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #52
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have an iphone dash cam app that runs in the background so you can still use the map app to navigate?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
Mr. President

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
anyone have an iphone dash cam app that runs in the background so you can still use the map app to navigate?
Here are a few I found last night looking up some stuff about them. I took a video with my HTC inspire this morning. I'll post it in a bit as well as a few others. The app I used has a hap with it and I think it said it runs in the back ground if needed.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #54
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
I would also like to know who else is using a Dash cam and what your set up is.
I use a Drift Innovation camera mounted to the passenger side A-pillar using RAM hardware. To power the camera I ran the USB cord up the A-pillar. I keep the cordless remote around my stick shift so I never take my eyes off the road to start/stop the camera. I can capture video but usually I set the camera to capture a still image every 2, 3 or 5 seconds. These images can be opened as a time-lapse movie.

I did this mod and liked the GPS mount so much I had to make one for the camera. I normally use one long arm to secure the camera to the pillar instead of the two arms + double ball as photographed below. I've driven cross country twice and several off-road trips using this setup.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #55
Mr. President

This is the video I took this morning. Don't mind the small talk with my mother or the engine whine (which has gotten louder ) and the phone was being hand held, not mounted which is the cause of all the movement. The video dos smooth out after we start driving.

This app records in 5 minute segments. As I said I believe it can run in the back ground because I received a text message right before the 5 minute mark. It gave me a "recording session has ended" notification and automatically starts a new recording. It saves them to you SD card but I am not sure it it can auto loop over older ones.

As you might have guessed the camera quality (and my wind shield clearity) determines the quality of the video. Maybe a better phone will be able to pick up license plates, but pictures and videos from my phone are pretty nice.

The app does have a map, a speedo, and a compass, which you need GPS activated to use. Mine was not activated so those things were not working.

When you get into low light situations, such as toward the end of the video, my camera did not do to well from the changes in light. Could be a universal thing

It does pick up audio as you can hear. The width of the captured area might not be able to catch both side to side in a truck, I was driving a civic.

The app did crash once when I put the phone down because we were passing an officer in one of the later clips of the drive, and since I got a few messages didnt want to create any funny business with "you were on your phone". But the app DID continue to run, not sure why it gave me the message.

And did I mention this app is FREE?

Take what you want form it. I am open for an upgrade and think I might just use this phone for this and a car ipod or something

If anyone is interested in doing this I suggest getting car charger with a "limp" cable (as opposed to the common coiled) so your battery does not die. The app starts up rather quickly so its not a hassle to get it going.

I can post a video and pictures from my phone if anyone wants to see a comparison them vs the driving quality.

Any other questions I'll be happy to try and answer, hope that helps

Android apps: Dashboard Cam (the one I used), DailyRoads Voyager. AutoGuard and AutoBoy BlackBox

Iphone Apps: DriveMate D Cam, DashCam, iCarBlackBox and DriveMate Rec.

I dont have an Iphone or Ipod, so I cant say if they are good or not. I read the first two get good reviews on a few sights.

Enjoy
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Goof Ball

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
^ Good stuff! Thanks for the post, and for putting the work into gathering that info.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #57
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
OP, can you take a look at the unit you bought and see if it the "real or fake" one. http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/...vs_Fake_Models
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
OP, can you take a look at the unit you bought and see if it the "real or fake" one. http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/...vs_Fake_Models

I do not own this model in that post. (Dvr 027)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #59
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Edit: Its junk. Its been killing sd cards. Working to return it

Got that dash cam I ordered... actually two. Dude man in china decided to send me a free one I guess? Score!

Installed this one in my Hyundai Accent. Its really small, instructions are kinda vague but you can figure it out if you have a brain. Video looks good, and the unit is very small. Had my last video segment this morning save incorrectly, not sure if I didnt wait long enough before I pulled the sd card or not. Ill try it again later on. I hooked it up to a power supply in the house and to the TV to set the date/time. Which didnt save anyways, guess the battery inside was dead. Ill update on that later.

https://vimeo.com/57146578
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #60
stractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
stractman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Got that dash cam I ordered... actually two. Dude man in china decided to send me a free one I guess? Score!

Installed this one in my Hyundai Accent. Its really small, instructions are kinda vague but you can figure it out if you have a brain. Video looks good, and the unit is very small. Had my last video segment this morning save incorrectly, not sure if I didnt wait long enough before I pulled the sd card or not. Ill try it again later on. I hooked it up to a power supply in the house and to the TV to set the date/time. Which didnt save anyways, guess the battery inside was dead. Ill update on that later.
was wondering if you could provide some feedback on how this one works. i'm thinking about getting the DOD F500LHD dash cam (http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f500lhd/) but it's $100. if this small one is good, i'd like the cheaper option. does it loop record? do you need to install a program to view the vids? i'd appreciate any info you could provide about your experience.

thanks.

Products Discussed in this Thread