1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Specalt, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Kidlatj

Kidlatj Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD 4x4 Off Road Double Cab
    Inverter mod Toytec Ultimate 3" lift 285/75 General Grabber AT2's
    Just found this:

http://www.busywww.com/dashboardcam.aspx

It's an Android app that turns your phone into a gps and OBD2 enabled dash cam.

I have a couple android cell phones laying around. I wonder if I can come up with some sort of windshield mount that doesn't look too ghetto...

2. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    bwanamukubwa

bwanamukubwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    is there such a thing as a 360 degree cam kinda like what google uses on its cars except much smaller of course? I would buy one if it weren't much bigger than the shark fin for the satellite radio.

3. Jul 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not that small. Smallest would be around 4-5".
    It's not really one 360 cam... it's 4-6 fisheye cams and the image is run into a computer where the software turns it into a viewable pano.

The raw image is horribly distorted and not usable.

4. Jul 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    We installed one of these for a local cab driver at my shop a few months ago. It's pretty easy to install, especially in a truck like ours, and it gives you up to 4 channels of video and one channel of audio, recorded onto a SD card. It comes with a program that allows you to track the time and GPS coordinates of when the video was taken, as well as export whichever channels of video into a seperate video format. I was surprised at how well it worked. If I was looking to buy something like what you're in the market for, this is exactly what I would get.

http://visiontechamerica.com/site/portfolio/vtr300/

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    What cameras did you use? The link you gave is for a 3 channel, but the site also has a 4 channel.

6. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    stractman

stractman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD sport, 4x4
    okay, everyone.
    had a rough couple weeks, wife is messing around with someone else and leaving me. worst week of my life but it's all good because i set up this awesome dashcam. hope it helps you make a decision on yours.

it was $102 and well-spent money. don't forget an SD card. i would recommend 16gb (follow the instructions on the first link below). the dashcam has a built in memory so you don't really need an sd card but you can't record clips longer than 2 min and it'll just record over the same clip. you'll need an sd card. it's less than $10 for 8gb and about $12 for 16gb. money well spent.
    you can record in 15 min sections and it continues to record until the card is full. then the videos just record over the oldest clips first. i never touch the dashcam because it's just on autopilot. if you follow the instructions the dashcam just turns on when you turn on the truck. it keeps running for about 10 seconds after you shut off power.

dash cam DOD F500LHD ver 3.

find details here: http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f500lhd/

they have links to purchase on ebay. i used the first link and it was legitimate. quick transaction and quick delivery (on the slow boat from taiwan).

this is a legitimate seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130672647481

here are a few pictures of it mounted behind/under my rearview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's a bulky unit but stays out of the way. i don't really need to stare at the LCD screen on the back so it's mounted as close to the center of the truck as possible. i didn't want it down near the dashboard because it obstructs my view. mounted in this way i still can see out the windshield even with my iphone mount in front of me. it's mounted so that the hood appears behind the phone...basically my view of the road is not obstructed by my iphone and the dashcam sits right under the rearview so i only lose a little view to my right.

you can set this for motion detection and it'll run off batteries while you are away from your truck. i ran the usb power cord through the headliner, down the pillar, and under the dash to my left cig lighter. when it's plugged in the power cord charges the dashcam batteries. don't know how long the battery lasts but i'm sure you'll be fine driving around town with it. i commute 180 miles a day sometimes so i need it plugged in.

the windshield mount is really sturdy. the video does not shake and the image is very clear. i need to find a clip driving at night so you can see how clear it can be.

there are many options out there so do your research. unfortunately there are no "name-brand" dashcams that are affordable and good quality. this one i bought is the best bang-for-your-buck. for $100 you'd be hard-pressed to find something of this quality. you could get the $30 brands online but they have a tendency to burn up the unit itself and burn up sd cards for some reason.

let me know if you have questions. pm me or just post a reply here. not sure if i need to start a new thread but figured i would post in an established thread where we talk about multiple options.

day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zL4yG-skL0
    night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_00EMIYxY

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Manfred, Biscuits and Byb127 like this.
  7. Feb 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    Might buy this how's it help up?!

8. Sep 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    wmg

wmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2009 FJ
    BP-51 OEM LIFT..33;s...full skids....dual Batteries
    anyone using the Memento unit, either the older 4 or the new 5??

9. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Manfred

Manfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manfred
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    All of them
    Here's one I'm about to pull the trigger on.

What I am looking for:

• Capacitor to put up with our cold Canadian winters (have been in temps of -71, Google resolute bay)
    • Good amount of storage
    • Adhesive mount to negate the shaking of a mount and delay thievery
    • Motion detector / parking setting
    What does everyone think?

Screenshot_2017-10-15-10-48-29.jpg Screenshot_2017-10-15-10-48-16.jpg Screenshot_2017-10-15-10-48-21.jpg

10. Oct 15, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    RickTRDSport

RickTRDSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm using the Rexing Camera, it has a rear bullet cam for the rear. Great video and I just hard wired a cigarette lighter socket behind the kick panel for it.

Rexing V1P 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with Rear Camera, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX8ATKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nKa5zb480YRDA

11. Oct 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    drop4205

drop4205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TX Baja
    Pioneer 8201 nex Id cxs 6.5 component front Id cs 6.5 rear Jl audio hd 600/4 Jl audio 10” micro sub+ Ram mat Tinted windows Debaged Plasti dip front emble
    Anyone try garmin dash cam 35 or 45. Looking for input on these

12. Oct 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top