Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
The Beginning!
RCOTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Dalton
RCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Help with Screech in Radio

I need some help here. I was doing this mod here to my stock head unit:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...rrides-fm.html

Well, I got to the part about removing the resistors, and on the very first try, I messed up my resistor. So, off to Radioshack I went, hoping I could replace them. I got two packs of resistors, one pack was 1 watt 10 ohm, and the other pack was 1 watt 100 ohm. Well, I continued the mod, using the 10 ohm resistors. Plugged everything back into the truck, and there was this screeching noise coming through my speakers. I can hear the radio playing faintly, and when I plug my iPod up, it will override the radio, and I can faintly hear it. The whole time, this quiet screech is accompanying the music.

So I decided to take it apart, and try the 100 ohm resistors. Replaced them, put the radio in the truck, and the quiet screech is still there. This led me to believe that it isn't the resistors that are causing the problem. Because with both of the different resistors, the same thing happened.

Can someone help me out here, and give me some insight into what is causing this screech? It isn't that "nails on a chalkboard" screech, it's more like a constant ring-type of screech.

Any input, positive input is welcome!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
do you know what size the old resistor was? maybe the one you put in was too low and fried a circuit? (i'm not an electrician though)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
The Beginning!

RCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes

At first I didn't think about busting out the multimeter, so I just started with the 10 ohm resistor. I was told that as long as I didn't go higher than what the circuit is rated for, that it wouldn't hurt the radio.

Then it hit me to test the old resistor with the multimeter. It read right at 93 ohms. It was damaged, so I thought that might account for 7 ohms. Therefore, I tried using the 100 ohm resistor, and that still left me with the same screech.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Are you sure you have good solder joints? I don't know honestly, but it sounds like you don't have the right resistor. I'd PM the guy who did the mod and ask him for his take on it. Chances are the resistors are higher quality in the head unit, I think all radio shacks shits around 5%
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
The Beginning!

RCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Are you sure you have good solder joints? I don't know honestly, but it sounds like you don't have the right resistor. I'd PM the guy who did the mod and ask him for his take on it. Chances are the resistors are higher quality in the head unit, I think all radio shacks shits around 5%
I'm 99.9% positive the solder joint are good, especially since I had to do it twice. I may go back and do it again just to make sure though! And you are right about the quality of Radioshack components, they're 5%