Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Radio Bolt - Stripped

Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Radio Bolt - Stripped

Hey guys, well I fooked up. I took my radio out to ground out the wire that lets you watch videos while driving (new Pioneer system). I went to put it all back together and put in the 4 bolts that hold the radio bracket in the dash.

I derped and cranked one of the bolts too hard, stripping whatever it holds in to inside the dash. I tried backing it out, even with a pair of vise grips and pulling back while trying to unscrew it to no avail.

So, am I stuck with cutting into the dash to try and get this bolt out?

Ken - idiot who tightens things too much.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
your not alone ken, i will see your stripped bolt and raise you one broken in half.

torqued it too much as well, bolt snapped, the bottom half is still left in the lower dash mount argh!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
d'oh!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
So I took the dash further apart and found the problem.

The nuts which hold the 4 stereo bolts are welded into a c-type metal clamp. That is clamped onto the plastic holders which appear to be an integral part of the overall dash. That plastic is EASY to break. if I'm looking at it right you would have to replace the whole dash in order to replace those broken bits of plastic. I have another idea in mind but it will be a while before I feel like tearing into the dash again.