Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

GPS Wire/Window Seal Question

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
JaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
JaxTaco's Tacoma Gallery
GPS Wire/Window Seal Question

I had a "pro" audio shop install a new head unit for my 05 Taco. They ran the GPS wire up the left side of the dash outside and mounted the GPS(antenna) at the top of the corner of the window, on the roof. They popped out the black window seal to do so, and now the seal protrudes way more than it used to- especially in comparison to the other (untouched) side(which isn't flush but there are no spaces). The wire goes into the seal area near the bottom of the window, so the seal isn't flush for the entire side of the glass.
I noticed it Saturday- and the best way I can describe the placement is that there are "spaces" clearly visible below the landmark of the seal. The other side has the bottom part of the seal flush against the window, with a space (tunnel) between the bottom & top of seal. The GPS side has the tunnel totally above the window, and only parts of the layer below are touching the glass.
I went back and asked them if it was supposed to be this way, and the answer was yes, the GPS wire took up most of the space under the seal so it will stick out, but the wire itself creates a seal that will prevent water from getting inside.

Personally, I'm not buying this story- I would think at least you would apply some sort of sealant there. Now I tried to push the seal back down but there is a significant amount of pushback.

So what's the truth- should it still seal up tight, or is this a normal thing? Should the wire be somewhere else to prevent this?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
JaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud ofJaxTaco has much to be proud of
Air Force:
JaxTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Crickets.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That's not uncommon.
The easiest and cleanest way to route the antenna is through the firewall and under the edge of the gasket to the top. Most GPS unit instructions recommend this way.
It doesn't require disassembly of interior parts and there's little risk of rainwater getting into the cab.

Personally, I run through the 3rd brake light and add some silicone to guarantee a rain seal... but the headliner needs to at least be loosened, as well as interior panels where the cable is routed.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
we do a lot of navi radios and we put the antennas on the dash in the cornors where it isn't very noticeable... we never have any signal issues unless they are the cars with the metal in the windshields.. like some of the newer accords.. but never any issues with the tacomas
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Air Force:
JaxTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies but now I'm confused.

They ran the wire(GPS)antenna up from under the dash, on the left side, to the bottom of the window(drivers side) and pulled the window seal out in the corner, ran the cable through that up to the top corner, out to the roof, and mounted the antenna box. So I can see wire coming out of the seal top & bottom corners. The seal in between those places is what is really sticking up- I could push a toothpick down there quite easily and move it around- that's why I'm concenred, water can certainly get into that area.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
we do a lot of navi radios and we put the antennas on the dash in the cornors where it isn't very noticeable... we never have any signal issues unless they are the cars with the metal in the windshields.. like some of the newer accords.. but never any issues with the tacomas
Exactly what I have done, no reason to run it outside the window, my gps reception is great.