Pioneer Amp

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Jet Fixer
Jet Fixer is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Electrician
Name: Kyle
Jet Fixer's Tacoma Gallery
Pioneer Amp

I'm about to buy a 760 watt Pioneer Amp, but I'm not upgrading any speakers right now. I recently installed a new Head Unit, and want a better sound. What kind of wires do I need. Is 4 or 6 or 8 gauge wire better for what I'm using it for as a Power and Ground. Also, what size wire do I need to hook up to the head unit? Any help would be much appreciated! Here is a pic of the amp.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever done this sort of thing?

1: Why are you running an amp to stock speakers? They can barely handle the 50 watts coming from your new head unit.
2: 0-500 watts need 8 awg wire, 500-1000 4 awg, above 1000 should use 0 awg
3: You can use rca connectors or regular speaker wire from your head unit, 16 awg is about typical I believe...

Really hope you understand what you are doing.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
just thought id throw this in there I have a Rockford Fosgate 1000 w amp I think im gonna sell
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fixer View Post
I'm about to buy a 760 watt Pioneer Amp, but I'm not upgrading any speakers right now. I recently installed a new Head Unit, and want a better sound. What kind of wires do I need. Is 4 or 6 or 8 gauge wire better for what I'm using it for as a Power and Ground. Also, what size wire do I need to hook up to the head unit? Any help would be much appreciated! Here is a pic of the amp.

any of them will work but if your thinking of upgrading later then go as low as you can and get a 0 gauge but you dont need that big of a huge wire. i have a 8 gauge from the batt running two amps and i havent had any problems with heating up or blowing up fuses, just screwing up alternators every year.
a 16 gauge will work to hook up to the head unit, it just sends a signal to the amp telling it that stereo is off
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Have you ever done this sort of thing?

1: Why are you running an amp to stock speakers? They can barely handle the 50 watts coming from your new head unit.
2: 0-500 watts need 8 awg wire, 500-1000 4 awg, above 1000 should use 0 awg
3: You can use rca connectors or regular speaker wire from your head unit, 16 awg is about typical I believe...

Really hope you understand what you are doing.
(HES NOT UPGRADING THE SPEAKERS RIGHT NOW) just getting everything ready heck just do it and lower the bass on the amp so you wont blow them
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Jet Fixer

exactly. And yes I know what I am doing, I wired my head unit and I am an aircraft electrician by trade. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Jet Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
just thought id throw this in there I have a Rockford Fosgate 1000 w amp I think im gonna sell
how much? and how old is it?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Jet Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
any of them will work but if your thinking of upgrading later then go as low as you can and get a 0 gauge but you dont need that big of a huge wire. i have a 8 gauge from the batt running two amps and i havent had any problems with heating up or blowing up fuses, just screwing up alternators every year.
a 16 gauge will work to hook up to the head unit, it just sends a signal to the amp telling it that stereo is off
alternators get pretty expensive! I will note your experience in my imaginary notepad. The thicker the wire, the more resistance it will give you, which slows the current. So I will definitely go for a 4 gauge.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
alternators get pretty expensive! I will note your experience in my imaginary notepad. The thicker the wire, the more resistance it will give you, which slows the current. So I will definitely go for a 4 gauge.
ya but i bought my alternator at auto zone, yes there refurbished and yes maybe thats why there going out once a year. but i only payed for it once with a lifetime warranty and ive changed it twice now, and it takes me 20 mins or less to change it, and i have a fresh one every year

they go out alot especially when your running two amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub, i rock out alot so every time it thumbs your amp takes all the power it needs so the alternator works extra hard trying to produce more power so the car and everything else can keep running. i also have a capacitor helping out the battery and alternator, but it doesn't do much.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how much? and how old is it?
$150 +/-, about 5 yrs. I sold all my stuff a few years back except the amp so its just been sitting in my closet. If your interested I go make sure everything works on it and send you pics of the actual amp. that pic i posted i got off another ebay posting but its the same amp.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
JPR21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Joe
JPR21's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I just ordered this amp on Thursday haha got the four channel, gonna power four RF punch speakers, a 10" shallow enclosed Kicker sub, and eventually a JVC double din BT audio player, have stock w/ Line Out Converter hooked to RFs and sub for now... I got stoked that you are gettin the same amp. Cant wait to see how it will sound
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Jet Fixer

Quote:
ya but i bought my alternator at auto zone, yes there refurbished and yes maybe thats why there going out once a year. but i only payed for it once with a lifetime warranty and ive changed it twice now, and it takes me 20 mins or less to change it, and i have a fresh one every year

they go out alot especially when your running two amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub, i rock out alot so every time it thumbs your amp takes all the power it needs so the alternator works extra hard trying to produce more power so the car and everything else can keep running. i also have a capacitor helping out the battery and alternator, but it doesn't do much.
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
why wouldn't you just upgrade your speakers at the same time you put the amp in. adding an amp without putting in speakers seems like a waste of time and money.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The heavier the wire the LESS resistance. But 4 gauge will be fine.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #15

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
why wouldn't you just upgrade your speakers at the same time you put the amp in. adding an amp without putting in speakers seems like a waste of time and money.
its actually not a waste of time and i dont see how money comes to waste, and think for a sec..... he maybe has other things to pay and bills, speakers aren't cheap you know especially the good quality ones, for just two Alpine type R it runs you like 200 bucks for two. Having everything installed, amp and hardness is not a waste. When the times comes for him all he needs to do is just take out the stock ones and put in the new ones and ready to play.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its actually not a waste of time and i dont see how money comes to waste, and think for a sec..... he maybe has other things to pay and bills, speakers aren't cheap you know especially the good quality ones, for just two Alpine type R it runs you like 200 bucks for two. Having everything installed, amp and hardness is not a waste. When the times comes for him all he needs to do is just take out the stock ones and put in the new ones and ready to play.
if he doesn't have the money now to buy speakers, it will be a waste when he blows the stockers and can't afford to replace them. makes zero sense to amp the stock speakers. save the amp money until you can afford some speakers.

imo of course
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #17

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
if he doesn't have the money now to buy speakers, it will be a waste when he blows the stockers and can't afford to replace them. makes zero sense to amp the stock speakers. save the amp money until you can afford some speakers.

imo of course
he wont blow them if he turns down the bass from the amp, rightnow im running an amp to my speakers and i have stock speakers still. ive had it like that for a year now, not the best quality but definitely better then just having it wired to the stereo. been trying to buy some speakers, but ive also been buying other stuff for the truck, and to be honest i kinda like how it sounds rightnow, doesnt bother me, it sounds good for now, until they blow im keeping them in