I looked around for awhile to see if anyone had used the front door stock speakers (2012 Access Cab) and modified them to accommodate new speakers (in this case 5-way Pioneer 6x9s).
I hadn't seen anyone attempt it and post something comprehensive explaining how it went. So I decided to give this a go and see how it went. I'm about halfway through right now (it has become more work than I originally intended) but it's working rather well. I'm going to explain how I went about this and you can see if this is a worthwhile task or if you should just go shopping at TacoTunes...
First I took off the driver side door panel. NOTE: if you plan on doing this but won't finish in one day (or plan on driving the truck while the panels are off it is worth the 2 minutes it takes to remove the window/lock buttons and reattach them (you'll need both attached for full functionality).
As you can see, I took out the stock speaker, it's very flimsy but the casing they've built it into is rather remarkable.. They've built it into its adapter and integrated a plug and play type clip.
If you cut these two wires, you can remove the clip very easily. I saved this clip to solder onto the new speakers (to retain the plug/play ability)
Then it was time to rework the plastic adapter to accommodate a new speaker, first I ripped out the little paper cone, then using a Dremel and some cutting/sanding attachments I removed the spokes that hold the magnet and sanded it down to a flat surface around the top.
With Cones ripped out
After cutting out the magnet
Grind down the top edge, you will have to keep checking to make sure your speaker will fit flush against that top edge. The smoother the edge, the better contact with the speaker.
I was a bit unsure how to connect the speaker to the mount because there isn't a lot to drill into - I decided to try some J.B. Weld to secure the speaker in place. I wasn't sure this was going to work but after it cured I was very happy with the result. Seems very sturdy.
Solder some speaker wire to the speaker leads then the other end to the adapter- make sure you line up which side is positive and negative. Make sure you protect the cone of the speaker when you're soldering in case something drips. Some paper under the housing should work just fine. Also- if it's important to you, thread the speaker wire through the hold in the mount so you can secure the clip back to the housing- I decided to let mine hang free. I also wasn't sure which color wire in the door represented positive and which was negative so before I soldered the clip I played around to see which sounded right with the radio on. Found out now Pink is positive, violet is negative on the left, on the right it's green is positive, blue is negative.
When I was done I went back and secured the speaker to the door. When I tried to cover it with the door panel, however, I found out that my speaker was just too deep (even without the speaker cover). As I had already covered a $70 speaker with J.B. weld I thought it was a good time to try my hand at modifying some interior panels. I used my Dremel to open up a hole large enough to allow the door to fit back together nicely but before I closed everything up I secured the Pioneer speaker cover with some small zip ties (they won't be seen anyway). I also used some weather stripping to ensure good contact between the mount and the door.
Everything went back together alright in the end. It's not the most beautiful mod in the world but it's functional (If anyone wants to comment on how to make this look nicer please do)
Finished driver side door