1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 JBL vs Stock

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Horndog, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nov 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Horndog

Horndog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Think I'm getting a 2013 TRD off road. Only decision left is if I want to pay out the extra money for the JBL system.
    Don't use a cell phone, so all the extras aren’t needed. I do like satellite radio though. I like decent sound, not loud, but clear.
    I've read here that some say the JBL audio is worth the price by itself in place of the stock radio, and others who say its crap. Other say the stock radio is good enough.
    It appears my options are stock radio, no satellite, or JBL with satellite. I've also read of reception problems with the satellite system. I live in a wooded area 60 miles from the dealer, so there is no way to test the reception. When I test-drove a couple trucks I wasn't really paying much attention to the radio, I was more interested in outside noise. After seeing an extra 2000 on the sticker I just figured I didn't need the JBL.
    Now that it's closer to buying time I'm starting to wonder if it is it's worth it in the long run.
    Would like some opinions before I drive 120 miles to listen to a radio.
    Not really considering replacing the head unit. Could maybe replace speakers only, but I think that is as far as I would want to go. Opinions?

2. Nov 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I dont own a 2013 but I do have a 2006 TRD Sport that came with the JBL system and it sucks to be honest with you. :mad: To me it sounds just like the stock radio but with a subwoofer added in the back seat but thats about it. Not sure if they improved much in the newer models but I doubt it. Best route to go would be to get an aftermarket unit.

3. Nov 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    It depends on what you want. Some might say the jbl is plenty loud others might completely dissagree.

I just like to feel some bass, the mids and highs are fine in both the normal and the jbl system. The bass on the stock jbl is better then most oem systems but not enought for me.

G/luck

4. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    i would say get basic if your not against changing the radio because i changed it in my 12 to a pioneer avh-3400bt dbl din and have a lot better sound and adjustments on the basic factory speakers with a bigger eq but you can do the pioneer avh-x1500bs cost roughly $249 and you can add sat radio.. but if you want to stay factory then i would say jbl.. but if your ever going to change anything with audio/speakers it will be more expensive with jbl.. imho its not worth the extra money but everyones opinion is different! good luck and this is mine..
    edit: sorry just saw where you didnt want to change the headunit.. i would say jbl then because to me the stock non jbl was just really low power but that being said everyone likes diff things.
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Horndog

Horndog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So....on the standard stock radio.....all that touch screen space is all for the same stuff as a "conventional" radio, only "touch"?
    I did notice while I was looking at trucks, that screens were covered with fingerprints.
    Sorry I don't know much about replacement audio..... So It sounds like if I did replace the head unit I could either go with or without the large display area? I cetainly don't need a touch screen, but I do like to use the sterring wheel controls for changing stations and volume.
    Would I be able to keep these features with a replacment unit?

6. Nov 29, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    i didnt know they were not offereing the standard radios with sat anymore... my 12 came with sat on the standard radio but im not a big sat person anyway.. but yes you can go with certain radios aftermarket that you can retain steering controls that do sat and are not touch screen. i believe the jvc kd-a500 will do sat steering control etc.. but i will check to make sure

7. Nov 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    I have a 13 w/ the JBL sound system and entune...It sounds amazing. Did i really need all the bells and whistles? No. But theres been a few times im glad i got it.

DCTiller likes this.
  8. Nov 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Get the cheapest radio you can, save that money for a decent aftermarket head unit and some decent speakers.... you'll be much much happier. Take it from someone who 'HAD' the JBL system.

9. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    BeEatNU

BeEatNU Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Gardena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab Limited
    Same here, it sounds really good.

I'm coming form a stock BMW 3series setup.

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    RetiredPunk

RetiredPunk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    troy
    Va Beach , Virginia
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Dcab trd 4x4
    Any of you guys with the 2013 added the toyota sat receiver XM for sat radio . Im trying to find out what i need ?

11. Dec 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM
    Airdog

Airdog did your Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airdogs-2012-prerunner-access-cab-slow-build.264263/
    I just did a upgrade to my 2012 AC using the stock (non-jbl) head unit and couldnt be happier. See HERE for pics and a small review. My stock radio came with satellite/bluetooth/ipod intergration built into it. Not sure if there is a lower radio option package than what I got. I have a 2012 AC with the V6 and offroad package (TRD) dont remember there being any extra charge for the radio system that came with my truck.
    But I replaced the stock front mid and tweeter with Image Dynamics CTX65cs components added an Alpine MRX-65F amp and a 10' Alpine sub with enclosure and it absolutely thumps all for way less than what the JBL sys is gonna cost you. Im into all of that for about 700 installed.

12. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    RetiredPunk

RetiredPunk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    troy
    Va Beach , Virginia
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Dcab trd 4x4
    Interesting Dog , The amp is just driving the front speakers and the sub correct ? And your happy with it i hear . Sounds like i need to look into that . Thanx for the details . Very nice job .

13. Dec 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    myamada1230

myamada1230 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenacres, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Offroad DCLB
    I have a 2010 w/ the JBL setup. If you are listening to the FM radio, it still sounds like crap. Now if you're listening to DSR, CD, or AUX, it sounds pretty good. Now it definitely doesn't sound as good as $2000 worth of aftermarket audio gear, but I do really enjoy the sound.

14. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    I just ordered my truck and got the JBL system .

The speakers and sub are nothing special. But the headunit, navi, entune was impressive . I'll most likely add another sub, the mids and highs are fine for my taste.

Products Discussed in

To Top