Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Used subwoofer? Good Price?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
hondarubiconowner is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
hondarubiconowner's Tacoma Gallery
Used subwoofer? Good Price?

Hey guys, I don't know much about subwoofers, but I found a used Pro Comp 10 Kicker subwoofer that is professionally boxed and has a grill on it at an audio shop nearby. The dude wants $80 bucks for just the sub, used! I didn't think is was a fair price, being it was used (only for about a year, maybe less. It used to be my friends). The new kicker pro comp 10 is 90 bucks!!! To me thats a rip off and I have given this guy business before, plus offered to pay cash. I think that I will just buy the sub and grill because the box WILL NOT work in the Taco.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, pay ten more dollars and get a new one.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
IMO, pay ten more dollars and get a new one.
^ this.
but on a serious note I refuse to do business with anymore speaker shops. They all are a rip off. I've ranted about my experience before so I'll leave it be, but if I ever need anything else I'll order online and install myself
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to order this Kenwood Performance series 12. Anyone has experience with this sub? Has gotten great reviews and is on sale for a great price!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood-...4#BVRRWidgetID
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
ya get what ya pay for, kenwood dosent make anything worth buying imo
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
ya get what ya pay for, kenwood dosent make anything worth buying imo
I wouldn't go that far... everyone has different needs/expectations for stereo's.

To the OP check this link out, it's 10 dollars cheaper
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KFC-W12PS.html

Just remember, you get what you pay for so don't have high expectations.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I guess, I just like spending my money on something that's actually worth it....my fridge magnet has more motor force than that kenwood
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I would opt for one of these if you can fit it. Great value for the money. Very efficient and sounds fantastic even compared to many higher priced woofers. The JBL GTO series was made very well.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GTO1214D.html
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
There's a few things in this world you just shouldn't buy used . Subs , underwear, and socks.

Go on ebay or amazon and find a nice deal on a new sub . Not worth the headache of buying a used sub .
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #11

Good info. Haha. Did some more research and I decided to buy a Kicker Comp Series 10 subwoofer powered by a Kicker ZX amp. Here are the links to what I am going to buy:

Woofer: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...04-10C104.html

Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...10ZX300.1.html

I really want to do this project entirely with myself, a friend, and my dad. It's not too hard is it? I am going to build a box to fit behind my drivers side rear seat as many of you guys have, and plan to mount the amp either under my seat or on the other side of my rear storage. I DO NOT want to drill any holes in any of my plastic/metal. Possible?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Banned
I'd buy a used sub in a heart beat, nothing wrong with it, either it works or it doesn't.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9402 View Post
^ this.
but on a serious note I refuse to do business with anymore speaker shops. They all are a rip off. I've ranted about my experience before so I'll leave it be, but if I ever need anything else I'll order online and install myself
i understand some shop ripped you off but at the same time you cant down every audio shop.. i have been at an audio shop in columbia sc for five years and the buisness has been here for over 36 years! i have never one time ripped anyone off and i never will!! im not going to argue with you most audio shops probably do rip off people but not all of them in fact i know of a shop here that does rip off people but im not going to say any names! thats almost like saying all pitbulls will try and kill you when thats a lie and almost all of them are great dogs! so please dont say all audio shops are rip offs and give shops like mine a bad name!

Oh And we adjust our prices weekly so that we have lower prices than the internet...
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarubiconowner View Post
Good info. Haha. Did some more research and I decided to buy a Kicker Comp Series 10 subwoofer powered by a Kicker ZX amp. Here are the links to what I am going to buy:

Woofer: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...04-10C104.html

Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...10ZX300.1.html

I really want to do this project entirely with myself, a friend, and my dad. It's not too hard is it? I am going to build a box to fit behind my drivers side rear seat as many of you guys have, and plan to mount the amp either under my seat or on the other side of my rear storage. I DO NOT want to drill any holes in any of my plastic/metal. Possible?

PLEASE do not buy the cheap Kickers, they are horrible! Nothing less than the CompVR's for kicker. You're better off with a Walmart pioneer than those guys.

Quote:
I'd buy a used sub in a heart beat, nothing wrong with it, either it works or it doesn't.
I don't really agree with you on that one. I had a blown set of JL's (went in on warranty) that would play fine until they got warm or you pushed serious power through them. You'd never notice it until you cranked em. Would be easy to scam someone. Another thing is wiring DVC speakers inside a box bypassing a blown coil. The average person wouldn't think to open the box and check the wiring right off the bat. I've only bought one sub ever on craiglist and it was a Type S 10, and I got lucky... only reason I risked it though was because it was only 25 bucks.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
yea, i agree with brian. you have to be careful buying used audio shit, unless its the head unit. even then, make sure it works before you take it.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
Quote:

Wrong , someone could of done just a half ass repair on it just to make it good enough to sell .

And like posted above it might play fine unless it warms up .
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Banned
Never heard of u sub playing fine till it warmed up, what exactly is happening? There's like 5 moving parts on a sub...and if you don't check the coils with a dmm before you buy, you're not the smartest person...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Quote:
Never heard of u sub playing fine till it warmed up, what exactly is happening? There's like 5 moving parts on a sub...and if you don't check the coils with a dmm before you buy, you're not the smartest person...
If the statements everyone posted in this thread dont encourge you to buy new subs vs used then I cant help you.

Theres alot that can be wrong with a used sub, from a bad coil to a crappy woofer recone .

Only way i'd buy used is if the deal was amazing and I knew the seller well .
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
If the statements everyone posted in this thread dont encourge you to buy new subs vs used then I cant help you.

Theres alot that can be wrong with a used sub, from a bad coil to a crappy woofer recone .

Only way i'd buy used is if the deal was amazing and I knew the seller well .
I'm with Canada here. If you test the coil you can figure out if it's ok as long as you know RE on the sub. And this garbage about it "warming up" first; where did you hear that? The only thing that should get warm (generate it's own heat) on a subwoofer is the coil and nothing PHYSICALLY should change. If you're overheating the subwoofer and you're experiencing power compression then you're doing it wrong and it's your own damn fault. The softparts like the spider, surround and the cone shouldn't be affected by any warmup time.

Sure if you have a dickhead of a seller who tried to recone the sub but couldn't or sells you a toasted paperweight you'll get burned. But that goes for ANY used product and not just subs.

When you really get into this type of stuff you start buying used gear more often and you won't have a problem with it. If it's a $10 difference I'd certainly buy new just since the savings is small.

Best way to do it is buy something like the Dayton woofer tester and test the TS parameters yourself. Problem is you'll have your eyes opened to a world where you realize the manufacturer is lying to you from the start and some of those "official" parameters are fairly far off....but that I can't help you with
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
The warming up thing is something I experienced first hand with a set of JLs that were blown.

All aside I agree though, bring a meter. I don't generally do used anyways, but that's a hell of an idea... wonder if you could meg em tho? I'd feel better with that.