Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Another Satellite Radio Question

Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
JustAGuy is on a distinguished road
JustAGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Another Satellite Radio Question

Hello. I am new to the forum. I just bought a new 2012 regular cab base Tacoma. I pulled my aftermarket Sirius system out of my other car and want to install it in the Tacoma. I don't want to buy a new head unit right now, so I plan on using the satellite receiver I had velcroed into my other car and old magnetic antenna. From my searching on the web, I don't think my old antenna will drive the factory stereo. If that isn't true, please speak up.

My problem is that I don't know how to get the satellite wire into the cab of the truck. Does anybody know how to get wire into the cab? I have searched around the forum and figured out that I need to tuck it into the seal around the windshield and take it into the engine compartment, but I don't know where to go from there. Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
When I used aftermarket sat radio, I put the antenna near the roof channel on the rear passenger side of the roof. I ran the wire down the channel, under the rear window seal, then down the back of the cab to the underside of the truck. I then zip tied it to the frame rail and ran it to under the front passenger seat area and thru the rubber grommet there. You will then need to remove the trim piece, just pull straight up, and reach under the carpet and under the seat to grab the wire.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
How did you secure the wire running down the back of the cab between the rear window seal and the underside of the truck?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch The Wire & Reciever

You could do what I did and ditch the whole thing. i signed up for a internet only subscription through XM and downloaded the app to my phone now all I do is bluetooth it. Just an idea, i know it kinda sounds like alot spelled out but its really simple
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwillysc View Post
You could do what I did and ditch the whole thing. i signed up for a internet only subscription through XM and downloaded the app to my phone now all I do is bluetooth it. Just an idea, i know it kinda sounds like alot spelled out but its really simple
I am one of the lucky few that don't carry a cell phone, so that idea won't work for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGuy View Post
How did you secure the wire running down the back of the cab between the rear window seal and the underside of the truck?
I just used a plastic spackle spreader or anything similar that won't scratch the paint and lifted the edge of the window seal and ran the wire under it. Once it's under the seal and at the bottom, you won't really see it anymore. From under the truck I pulled it tight and zip tied it to keep it secure. So from the bottom of the rear window seal to the underside of the cab, it's not physically secured. But with the zip tie keeping tension on it under the truck and the pressure from the window seal, it isn't going anywhere.

If you don't want to do it that way, a lot of people remove the third brake light and run the wire into the cab that way. You will just have to tuck it under some panels, possibly remove some as well, to run it to the front of the cab.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Has anyone had any success mounting the antenna on the dash? I have heard about doing it that way, but it sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
I got it installed yesterday using parboy's original suggestion. It was a pretty easy install.

Thanks parboy.