Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

New Truck New System

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
sctrd09 will become famous soon enough
sctrd09's Tacoma Gallery
New Truck New System

Just got my 2013 trd offroad 4wd a little over a wk ago. My stereo plans are to put my kenwood touchscreen with nav in it and then have two jl 13tw5's ran off of a jl hd1200.1. I already have one of the subs and already have the amp as well. Also my tacoma came with 6.1 inch touchscreen radio (non entune) and i think i am going to sell it. So if anyone is interested in that PM me an offer.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
What about the front speakers? Sounds like you're just adding subs.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
sctrd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
What about the front speakers? Sounds like you're just adding subs.
Forgot to mention im keeping stock door speakers but putting jl hd 600/4 on them. The audio shop i go to said that would sound good. I also already have that amp as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrd09 View Post
Forgot to mention im keeping stock door speakers but putting jl hd 600/4 on them. The audio shop i go to said that would sound good. I also already have that amp as well.
This is a mistake in my opinion. From what I can tell, the stock 6x9 bass driver plays full range and the tweeter have a high pass capacitor on them (literally soldered to it).

Now the amp will let you limit how low the 6x9's go but it won't let you limit how high it goes. So that 6x9 will play up into tweeter territory and sound nasty. This is of course, unless your headunit has active processing built in that allows you to do bandpass configurations. In any event, you'll only have 4 channels and 6 speakers to run so my guess is they'll be running the front doors (6x9 and tweeter) as channels 1 and 2 and the rear doors as 3 and 4.

I would suggest running a nice set of components on headunit power well before running the stock crap on a high powered amp. If you do what you listed above you won't achieve nearly the same clarity and you'll have paid more.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
sctrd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is a mistake in my opinion. From what I can tell, the stock 6x9 bass driver plays full range and the tweeter have a high pass capacitor on them (literally soldered to it).

Now the amp will let you limit how low the 6x9's go but it won't let you limit how high it goes. So that 6x9 will play up into tweeter territory and sound nasty. This is of course, unless your headunit has active processing built in that allows you to do bandpass configurations. In any event, you'll only have 4 channels and 6 speakers to run so my guess is they'll be running the front doors (6x9 and tweeter) as channels 1 and 2 and the rear doors as 3 and 4.

I would suggest running a nice set of components on headunit power well before running the stock crap on a high powered amp. If you do what you listed above you won't achieve nearly the same clarity and you'll have paid more.
Well I already have the 600/4. The guy said he has same amp on his factory speakers and they sound great. He doesn't have a Tacoma though, i think he has a chevy z71.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood

The amp is a great unit; no doubt. I have the HD 900/5 which is very similar in design. I just think that you're not going to realize much of a benefit from it vs just using a wiring harness to use the internal amp on the headunit.

Why not sell the amp and buy a nice set of speakers? Or go the extra mile and spend $150 for some decent fronts? That's where ALL of your clarity is going to come from.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
sctrd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The amp is a great unit; no doubt. I have the HD 900/5 which is very similar in design. I just think that you're not going to realize much of a benefit from it vs just using a wiring harness to use the internal amp on the headunit.

Why not sell the amp and buy a nice set of speakers? Or go the extra mile and spend $150 for some decent fronts? That's where ALL of your clarity is going to come from.
I see what you are saying. I have lots of audio stuff I need to sell. I got a 13w7 and a 500/1 amp as of now I'm trying to sell. But even if I buy a nice set of speakers I'll probably keep the amp and run those off of it.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
who told you to run them on the factory speakers??? I know your in Columbia and I actually I work at norton's stereo on two notch road if you wanted to stop by you could look at what the dash kit looks like in my 2012 because you have the same dash and see what the box looks like for behind the seats..
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Do you still have the stock head unit? And will you sell it? If so, PM me...