Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Remote start

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Outlaw 525S member
23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
23dec2007's Tacoma Gallery
Remote start

i am thinking about getting a remote start put on my 08 trd sport. I am going to be stationed in Alaska next year. Any suggestions on brands? I am probably going to get best buy to install it. i am not that gifted or patient.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Viper system installed. I have a friend that used to install these for a living and recommended them AND did the install. Got the 2-way remote. Love it. No complaints.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
i got the viper 5901 from best buy. a buddy that works there hooked me up. it's probably one of my favorite additions to my truck. it has a 2 mile range (i'd be able to turn it on from my office before i even walked outside), 2 way so you'll know if it actually turned on or not and it can even tell you the temp in the truck. little pricey though. i think it would've cost me about 600-something for everything including install, if my buddy didn't hook me up.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
DEI w smart start.
I have a one way remote, the remote is a little more subtle, and basic. If the range is further than a half mile or not line of site u can just unlock / lock / start / stop w ur smart phone.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
More input from people using SmartStart app please. Reviews in the App Store are not great and I would rather not throw down an extra $100 and $50/year for the app if the two way remote would work just as well for most times.
I would love to NOT have another remote on my keychain, but don't want a glitchy system.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Smart start has always worked for me. I've had the system in my previous ranger for 12 months then moved it to the Tacoma. Works flawless.

Obviously the truck and ur cell phone need cell service, so it won't work in the boonies.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
motoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant future
motoxer311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crevans2 View Post
I have a Viper system installed. I have a friend that used to install these for a living and recommended them AND did the install. Got the 2-way remote. Love it. No complaints.
Same here, it's been great! Got the 5902 installed..
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
hanrock is on a distinguished road

Name: craig
hanrock's Tacoma Gallery
what ever brand you choose get 2 way and one with long range
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have to have the two way so I know if it's running. We love to travel with the pup, but I need to be able to start the truck to make sure he is warm/cool enough.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
motoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant future
motoxer311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
We love to travel with the pup, but I need to be able to start the truck to make sure he is warm/cool enough.
Some guy flipped shit on me one day, I was in a fast food joint getting some grub and the dude had the cops on the phone and was standing in front of my truck.. I walked outside and the guy started yelling.. lol.. "Where's the dogs water??? I your dog ok in there??" I said yes the dog is fine, she's barking at you cause you're in front of the truck pacing back and forth.. The truck is running with the windows cracked and the AC on full blast (middle of summer in Florida)..
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer311 View Post
Some guy flipped shit on me one day, I was in a fast food joint getting some grub and the dude had the cops on the phone and was standing in front of my truck.. I walked outside and the guy started yelling.. lol.. "Where's the dogs water??? I your dog ok in there??" I said yes the dog is fine, she's barking at you cause you're in front of the truck pacing back and forth.. The truck is running with the windows cracked and the AC on full blast (middle of summer in Florida)..
Sad. My dog is better cared for than a lot of children. I always worry about a scene like that though.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Anything DEI. I have a Python thats been sitting in the garage for a year or two since Circuit City went out of sale, never installed it yet :shrug:
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Viper 5704 in my truck. I love it and it works great. I especially like the two-way remote. I installed it myself and did a write up for it here in case you're interested. I tried to make the write-up for non-inclined people. Anyway, I highly recommend the Viper 5704.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I have the Viper 5704 in my truck. I love it and it works great. I especially like the two-way remote. I installed it myself and did a write up for it here in case you're interested. I tried to make the write-up for non-inclined people. Anyway, I highly recommend the Viper 5704.
I'll check it out! Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
How did you guys pick a qualified installer when you bought a remote start, thinking about having it installed don't want some one learning on my truck!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #17
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I could find a installer that had pride in his work as this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pAFfamwxo
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Wish I could find a installer that had pride in his work as this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pAFfamwxo
Ask for references, ask for qualifications, ask how many Tacomas they have done....
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got a compustar 2 way system installed all in was $400.00 on sale.

System works great, install was great.. I had viper in the past and had issues so I went compustar this time around. Both systems are great.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Had a Scytek installed basic start( 1000 ft range ) no bells or whistles $199.00 installed.