1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Remote start install questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jschatte, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dec 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    jschatte

jschatte [OP] Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC 6spd
    I have searched high and low and have come up with nothing.

I am looking to install a remote start unit in my truck. It is a 6 speed which poses several problems.

I am aware there are manual specific remote start kits but I do not want to have to execute the whole song and dance everytime I park my truck to "enable" the command start. I had to do this with my last vehicle and it resulted in me never using the command start.

So my plan is to hook the neutral switch/sensor from the transmission inline with the hood pin switch (may require a relay but i can figure that out). This would kill the system if the transmission is in gear. Ultimately it would function the same as any automatic transmission remote spart, no 'enabling" required. I figure there must be some sort of switch that senses the gear position as the cruise will shut off if I pop it out of gear.

So my question is, does anyone know anything about this switch/sensor, so i can hopefully tap into it. Or am i crazy and no such switch/sensor exists?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Dec 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    jschatte

jschatte [OP] Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC 6spd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Here's my suggestion, having done this in vehicle that friends owned...

This advice comes with the statement that if you do this and you remote start your vehicle into another vehicle, your stupidity will be paying for the incident, and not be coming after me in any way shape or form. That "song and dance" is there to make the operation work properly, not make life easy for you.

The vast majority of my remote start experience comes from DEI (Viper, Python, newer Clifford, etc..) units. These units have a Black/White wire that is supposed to be connected to the auto transmission Neutral Safety Switch, and only requires a ground signal to allow the unit to remotely start.

What I've done with this is, with the help of several high quality magnetic switches (read: you get what you pay for) and some metal backstraps that would come from installing new head units and/or power door lock modules, to build bridges all around the shifter, and placing mag sensors around the extremes of it's range of motion, and securing magnets to the shifter that would engage the mag switches, and break the ground supply going into the unit, and preventing the unit from remotely starting. This set up requires mag switches with Normally Closed connections, as you will need the magnets on the shifter to "open" the switch and kill the ground input.

Working on getting a friend to get a photo for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top