Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #181
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniam View Post
Well I just finished the install. Took about 2 hours. I used the link earlier in this thread for the wiring diagram. Was pretty easy as I'm only using it for the start/stop funtion. I don't have anything else. Bulldog doesn't seem to have the best reputation but it has worked up to 200' so far. Haven't tried further. We'll see how it holds up I guess.
Awesome man! I'm glad to know everything worked out well for you. Congratulations.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #182
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
Back in the early days of me installing remote starter in my past vehicles, I used Bulldog (cheap and easy).

If you need a bypass and you're using Bulldog, you need to use a Bulldog Bypass. All bypasses work with other brands... except Bulldog.

BTW, I'm buying a Viper 2 way at the end of the month.
Very good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #183
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Whats a good site to get the wiring diagram for a 2014 tacoma? Thx!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z E R 0 View Post
I haven't seen any diagrams for a 2014 yet. There is a site with a lot of diagrams for other years called ModifiedLife.com. It says on that website if you can't find the diagram you're looking for, just ask. So, at the bottom of this page ask if they, or someone from their community, has it. You might also try using the diagram for a 2013, which can be found here. I don't know if anything changed or not from 2013 to 2014, but it's a very good starting point at the very least.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #185
ryanbitt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
ryanbitt's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up! I did car audio and security at best buy for 5 years and you definitely have your cards in order! This is true quality knowledge right here and he is correct STUDY BEFORE YOU DO THIS!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #187
Mmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery

This thread has been a real inspiration for me to do the install of a remote starter myself. I'm very much a diy kind of guy that'll take on any project, usually successfully, but this one does have me nervous. I'm having difficulty finding a wire diagram for a 2014 DCSB. I'm thinking it's the same as the 2013. I took my dash apart today to try to identify the wiring and it appears to be the same but I'm not feeling 100% about it. Thanks to everyone who's put input into this thread. I hope to complete the install next weekend.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmchugh View Post
This thread has been a real inspiration for me to do the install of a remote starter myself. I'm very much a diy kind of guy that'll take on any project, usually successfully, but this one does have me nervous. I'm having difficulty finding a wire diagram for a 2014 DCSB. I'm thinking it's the same as the 2013. I took my dash apart today to try to identify the wiring and it appears to be the same but I'm not feeling 100% about it. Thanks to everyone who's put input into this thread. I hope to complete the install next weekend.
Good luck man! Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #189
Mmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMmchugh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Good luck man! Let me know if I can help.

Are you familiar with Toyota's TIS site? I bought a 2 day pass but can't really find what I'm looking for.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #190

Sorry, I'm not. I had to look it up to even see what you were talking about.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #191

Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Sorry, I'm not. I had to look it up to even see what you were talking about.

Hahahaha thanks anyway. I'll post my progress
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #192
Beaniam is on a distinguished road
Beaniam's Tacoma Gallery
Well my $39 bulldog from ebay is still doing great. I'm guessing all the negative reviews are from people buying one, taking it to a shop and then being refused the install. Then upsold to a $200 viper. I've yet to see a negative review from a DIY.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #193

Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z E R 0 View Post

I posted on the12volt.com asking for a diagram for a 2014. Someone replied recommending readyremote.com. They do have a diagram for the 2014. I planning on confirming with a DMM as soon as I can. Hopefully I'll be installing my python 4206 remote start this weekend in my truck.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #194

Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery
I did the install today. Took about 12 hours, should've only been 10 but apparently I can't tell the difference between violet/white and violet/yellow. Besides that one issue the install was fairly easy but time consuming. I guess one other issue I had was bypassing the clutch safety switch. I attempted to bypass it through the clutch start cancel switch but that was a big fail. I jumped the clutch switch for now till I have time to create a bypass using a relay and a trigger from the remote starter. All in all I glad I chose to tackle this myself. Thanks to everyone would posted their experiences. Couldn't have done it without it.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #195

Awesome. Great job man!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #196
AiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really nice
Army: Aviation
AiNoFaKNKeA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmchugh View Post
I did the install today. Took about 12 hours, should've only been 10 but apparently I can't tell the difference between violet/white and violet/yellow. Besides that one issue the install was fairly easy but time consuming. I guess one other issue I had was bypassing the clutch safety switch. I attempted to bypass it through the clutch start cancel switch but that was a big fail. I jumped the clutch switch for now till I have time to create a bypass using a relay and a trigger from the remote starter. All in all I glad I chose to tackle this myself. Thanks to everyone would posted their experiences. Couldn't have done it without it.
Which wiring diagram did you use? Do you have a "G" key and what remote start module did you use?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #197

Mmchugh's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiNoFaKNKeA View Post
Which wiring diagram did you use? Do you have a "G" key and what remote start module did you use?

I used the wire diagram I got from readyremote.com. I do have a "G" key. I installed a python 4206 remote start with a Dball immobilizer bypass.
Feel free to ask questions. I'll try my best to answer.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #198
Edpsx is on a distinguished road
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have problems on a 2013 with the SRS light coming on and the passenger seat sensor? I had a dealer install my 5704v and the remote start kicked the light on saturday. I have the dealership looking at it now, but I have a feeling its going to end up back at the installers shop.

It never has reliably remote started for me, especially in colder weather. It would crank for a second and then stop and would never retry to start.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #199
Rickalders is on a distinguished road
Rickalders's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsx View Post
Anyone have problems on a 2013 with the SRS light coming on and the passenger seat sensor? I had a dealer install my 5704v and the remote start kicked the light on saturday. I have the dealership looking at it now, but I have a feeling its going to end up back at the installers shop.

It never has reliably remote started for me, especially in colder weather. It would crank for a second and then stop and would never retry to start.
Sounds like you've got two separate issues going on here. First, do you know it's the passenger seat sensor or did the installer do something during the install? I've seen other posts here stating turning the vehicle on with an airbag component disconnected (it was the dash keyswitch, if I recall) triggered the air bag light. I believe it went away after being reconnected and driving it for a while (like a couple hundred miles). Then again, I've had a seat sensor fail on another vehicle but yours seems related to the install timing wise.

As far as the remote starter not working, did the installer use a hard tach connection or the virtual tach? Virtual tach uses the voltage spikes on the charging system for a tach input and seems less reliable. Maybe he needs to relearn the virtual tach setting for the cold weather or switch it over to a hard tach connection. The symptoms of trying to start once then failing could also be caused by a problem with the bypass module.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickalders View Post
As far as the remote starter not working, did the installer use a hard tach connection or the virtual tach? Virtual tach uses the voltage spikes on the charging system for a tach input and seems less reliable. Maybe he needs to relearn the virtual tach setting for the cold weather or switch it over to a hard tach connection. The symptoms of trying to start once then failing could also be caused by a problem with the bypass module.
Like Rickalders said, check the tach setting. In my truck, I set the system to Tach Mode and its worked perfectly ever since installing it.

You can change this setting yourself. You don't have to take it to the installer. The instructions on how to do it are in an attachment in the very first post of this thread. Its the one titled "Viper_5704_Installation_Guide.pdf." The instructions for programming are on page 11 and the tach settings are on page 16. Its a little cryptic so if you need help understanding it PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Products Discussed in this Thread