Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #61
Senior Member
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Joined: Jan 2013, #94915
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 323
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Got my 5704 installed today by a DEI dealer. $150 for the install w/ the bypass, remote start, all that. This is pretty dang cool I recommend it.

:EDIT:
That 150 was JUST install. I had bought all the hardware separately. But ya down here in San Diego.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #62
Rubber Side Down
Glocker23 is on a distinguished road
 
Glocker23's Avatar
EMS:
Joined: Jan 2008, #4206
Location: CT
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 561
Glocker23's Tacoma Gallery
Total. Holy crap. Where is this place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #63
Member
RubberDucky is on a distinguished road
 
RubberDucky's Avatar
Air Force: 354th Communications
Name: Dillon
Joined: Jun 2012, #80576
Location: North Pole, AK
Gender: Male
Posts: 47
RubberDucky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
Total. Holy crap. Where is this place.
Certainly not up here in Alaska!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #64
Senior Member
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2013, #100418
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I am willing to bet that Agro paid out the butt for the unit itself ($599+).

If someone could do the install as good as I did for $150 I would definitely pay them to do it because it took me about 15 hours.

All said and done I was only out $220 for the 5704, glass break sensor, and back up battery

At least you have an intact DEI warranty if it was done through an authorized dealer

Oh, heres some cool stuff Ive been toying with in programming. TO PROGRAM:
Open driver door, insert key, turn to on position, then turn to off position.
Press and hold the button on the antenna until you hear the number of beeps relating to menu (1 beep = menu 1, 2 beeps = menu 2, etc) then release.
Press the button the number of tims relating to the feature listing. Feature 5 = 5 presses. Then press and hold to select, it will beep that number of times.
Use lock/unlock buttons on remote to cycle through setting, the alarm will chirp number of times related to the setting. Setting 2 will beep 2 times, etc.
When done remove key and close door. Alarm will cycle for a second or two to confirm.

1. Door unlock pulse Settings. LEAVE IT ON DEFAULT SETTING. Hitting the unlock twice is just plain annoying, tap once and all doors open Menu 1, Feature 6, Setting 1
2. Program to lock the doors upon Ign on (key in), and unlock on key out. Very luxurious feeling feature. Menu 1, Feature 5, Setting 2
3. Auto lock doors and arm after exiting vehicle / OR / passively re-lock and arm if you dont open a door within 20ish seconds of unlocking. Menu 1, Feature 1, Setting 3 (Auto lock and arm on exit) / OR / Setting 5 (passive relock/arm)

No programming needed: Keep vehicle running when you remove key. Just hit the remote start button and wait 10 seconds or so before removing the key. This cycles the remote start and it will detect the tach and not initialize the starter, if you try to remove the key too soon it will initialize the starter. Thats why you must wait 10 seconds for it to realize the engine is still running and move past the starter stage.
I use this feature for getting my mail since my mail key is on the same ring as my vehicle key.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #65
Senior Member
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Joined: Jan 2013, #94915
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 323
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I am in San Diego which is where DEI is. I luckily have a friend over at DEI so I got a great deal on the hardware. The DEI installer close to me didn't sell me the unit, but would charge me the normal rate they charge for install. He worked at DEI in the late 90's through early 2k and has been doing this for a long time. I dropped it off that morning and got it that afternoon. He said the install was very straight forward. He used the relay, diodes and programmed the bypass with his DEI issued thing they give him. This is the same place I went for them to install my 545T (night lite system) from DEI which I will add is very dang nice (and cheap to buy).

So I have the warranty still, which is nice, but I expect not to need to use it. TBD.

I will try these last two settings as they seem pretty cool:
2. Program to lock the doors upon Ign on (key in), and unlock on key out. Very luxurious feeling feature. Menu 1, Feature 5, Setting 2
3. Auto lock doors and arm after exiting vehicle / OR / passively re-lock and arm if you dont open a door within 20ish seconds of unlocking. Menu 1, Feature 1, Setting 3 (Auto lock and arm on exit) / OR / Setting 5 (passive relock/arm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
I am willing to bet that Agro paid out the butt for the unit itself ($599+).

If someone could do the install as good as I did for $150 I would definitely pay them to do it because it took me about 15 hours.

All said and done I was only out $220 for the 5704, glass break sensor, and back up battery

At least you have an intact DEI warranty if it was done through an authorized dealer

Oh, heres some cool stuff Ive been toying with in programming. TO PROGRAM:
Open driver door, insert key, turn to on position, then turn to off position.
Press and hold the button on the antenna until you hear the number of beeps relating to menu (1 beep = menu 1, 2 beeps = menu 2, etc) then release.
Press the button the number of tims relating to the feature listing. Feature 5 = 5 presses. Then press and hold to select, it will beep that number of times.
Use lock/unlock buttons on remote to cycle through setting, the alarm will chirp number of times related to the setting. Setting 2 will beep 2 times, etc.
When done remove key and close door. Alarm will cycle for a second or two to confirm.

1. Door unlock pulse Settings. LEAVE IT ON DEFAULT SETTING. Hitting the unlock twice is just plain annoying, tap once and all doors open Menu 1, Feature 6, Setting 1
2. Program to lock the doors upon Ign on (key in), and unlock on key out. Very luxurious feeling feature. Menu 1, Feature 5, Setting 2
3. Auto lock doors and arm after exiting vehicle / OR / passively re-lock and arm if you dont open a door within 20ish seconds of unlocking. Menu 1, Feature 1, Setting 3 (Auto lock and arm on exit) / OR / Setting 5 (passive relock/arm)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #66
Senior Member
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Joined: Jan 2013, #94915
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 323
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Any idea how I could wire up my electronic Pop N Lock for my tailgate so that AUX opens it, but each time I lock the car, it attempts to lock it? for a trunk, you dont have this issue as you wouldn't drive with the trunk open, but I do want to make sure the tailgate is locked. Right now I have it wired up to the passenger door leads so on unlock of the passenger doors, the tailgate opens. When you lock the doors, the tailgate locks. I'd like to not have the tailgate unlocking unless I indicate. Not a big thing to change, but just less times the solenoid has to operate, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #67
Senior Member
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2013, #100418
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I like the way you have it setup.
If your only unlocking the driver door then the tailgate stays locked, so your already not using the solenoid that much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #68
Riverdog [OP] Riverdog is offline
Senior Member
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Riverdog's Avatar
Name: Collin
Joined: Oct 2012, #90152
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
Posts: 663
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Any idea how I could wire up my electronic Pop N Lock for my tailgate so that AUX opens it, but each time I lock the car, it attempts to lock it? for a trunk, you dont have this issue as you wouldn't drive with the trunk open, but I do want to make sure the tailgate is locked. Right now I have it wired up to the passenger door leads so on unlock of the passenger doors, the tailgate opens. When you lock the doors, the tailgate locks. I'd like to not have the tailgate unlocking unless I indicate. Not a big thing to change, but just less times the solenoid has to operate, right?
I think this is possible without much hassle, but I'm not entirely sure. Look at the Installation Guide attached to the first post of this thread. On page 15, there's an option called "Aux 1 Output Type (H2/13 wire)." I think this might be what you're looking for. But to be sure, I think you should ask your question on the12volt.com. The guys over there are really helpful with this kind of thing and they'll give you a definitive answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #69
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road
 
Cruzs2013SR5's Avatar
Navy:
Name: Cruz
Joined: Jan 2013, #94878
Location: OAK HARBOR, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
I found a place here in Mesquite, TX to completely install the Alarm, remote start for $175. I think thats a good deal. They told me they could install in about 4 hours. Is that right? The owner said the installer had 17 years experience. Not to sure about that. I want to do it myself but..........
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #70
Senior Member
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2013, #100418
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you mean that you have bought the system off amazon for $199 and they will install for $175 thats a super deal.

Usually DEI installs consist of you paying retail for the system which is about $599, then they offer you a "Deal" on the installs so you end up about $800-900 out of pocket.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #71
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road
 
Cruzs2013SR5's Avatar
Navy:
Name: Cruz
Joined: Jan 2013, #94878
Location: OAK HARBOR, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, i paid $187 for the Alarm and will be paying 175 for installation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #72
Riverdog [OP] Riverdog is offline
Senior Member
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Riverdog's Avatar
Name: Collin
Joined: Oct 2012, #90152
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
Posts: 663
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzs2013SR5 View Post
I found a place here in Mesquite, TX to completely install the Alarm, remote start for $175. I think thats a good deal. They told me they could install in about 4 hours. Is that right? The owner said the installer had 17 years experience. Not to sure about that. I want to do it myself but..........
$175 seems much too low if that's the price for the unit and the install. If its just the install cost, that seems about right from what I remember. As for the 4 hours, if he has 17 years of experience then he probably can do it in 4 hours.

If you did it yourself, I'm guessing it would take 12 to 15 hours. I had zero experience prior to my install and it took me more than 13 hours. And the two other guys that have PM-ed me a bunch that have used this guide to do their installs (also with zero prior experience) took over 12 hours. If you do decide to install it yourself, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. It takes a long time, as well as blood, sweat, and tears; but its also fun to try something this challenging and come out on top. Just don't tell anyone you installed it yourself. Otherwise everyone will be asking you to install a system on their car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #73
Senior Member
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2013, #100418
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, yeah Cruzs that is a RIDICULOUSLY good deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #74
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road
 
Cruzs2013SR5's Avatar
Navy:
Name: Cruz
Joined: Jan 2013, #94878
Location: OAK HARBOR, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Just to clarify. I already have the Alarm, its a Python 574 purchased from Amazon for 187 i think it was. I looked around the area for a good installer and found one here in Mesquite, TX with 17+ years experience with alarm, stereo and many other acc. installs. The only thinks i was concerned with was the 4 hours. That just seems to fast, i dont care how many years experience! I wonder how they make their connections, guess i will have to ask. So in the end, this place is charging me 175 to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #75
Riverdog [OP] Riverdog is offline
Senior Member
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Riverdog's Avatar
Name: Collin
Joined: Oct 2012, #90152
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
Posts: 663
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzs2013SR5 View Post
Just to clarify. I already have the Alarm, its a Python 574 purchased from Amazon for 187 i think it was. I looked around the area for a good installer and found one here in Mesquite, TX with 17+ years experience with alarm, stereo and many other acc. installs. The only thinks i was concerned with was the 4 hours. That just seems to fast, i dont care how many years experience! I wonder how they make their connections, guess i will have to ask. So in the end, this place is charging me 175 to do it.
Yeah, I thought 4 hours seemed pretty fast. But I'm just gauging that off my own one-time experience installing the system. Maybe if he had an assistant they could hit the 4 hour mark? I never asked an installer how long it would take them when I was shopping around.

When I was researching how to install mine I read that t-taps and other similar types of quick connections are terrible for alarms and remote start systems. Proper soldering is the best way to go, but I found that many installers don't do that. Good luck with finding an installer. Once you get it installed, post up who you used on this thread so others in the future that are in your area know that you either had a good or bad experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #76
Senior Member
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Joined: Jan 2013, #94915
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 323
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I'll add something in case someone else has this problem. So my 5704 has been working great except for on cold mornings it wont unlock the doors. The Toyota fob works, the key works, and the button inside works, just not the Viper 5704 when really cold.

My installer said it sounded completely like a resistance issue. I left the truck with him and of course as it always is, he couldnt reproduce the issue the next day. He said the wires the viper uses are thin and they only send a 200ma pulse, so if there is any resistance it may not be enough to trigger the Toyota to open it. Very strange he said, but he just threw in a relay which is 12V direct wired and the viper goes to the relay. ever since installing that, it hasnt had 1 single time in cold weather unlocking. So problem solved. Strange yes, but moving on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #77
Riverdog [OP] Riverdog is offline
Senior Member
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Riverdog's Avatar
Name: Collin
Joined: Oct 2012, #90152
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
Posts: 663
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I'll add something in case someone else has this problem. So my 5704 has been working great except for on cold mornings it wont unlock the doors. The Toyota fob works, the key works, and the button inside works, just not the Viper 5704 when really cold.

My installer said it sounded completely like a resistance issue. I left the truck with him and of course as it always is, he couldnt reproduce the issue the next day. He said the wires the viper uses are thin and they only send a 200ma pulse, so if there is any resistance it may not be enough to trigger the Toyota to open it. Very strange he said, but he just threw in a relay which is 12V direct wired and the viper goes to the relay. ever since installing that, it hasnt had 1 single time in cold weather unlocking. So problem solved. Strange yes, but moving on.
That is indeed strange, but good to know you got it resolved. I haven't had that issue on mine. If it does that on mine, at least now I know how to fix it. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #78
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road
 
Cruzs2013SR5's Avatar
Navy:
Name: Cruz
Joined: Jan 2013, #94878
Location: OAK HARBOR, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Installed now for about 2 weeks with no problems to report. I have used remote start to many times to count with-out any issues so far. I am happy with the system. (Python 574) This guy here in Mesquite, TX did a great job for 175.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #79
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road
 
Cruzs2013SR5's Avatar
Navy:
Name: Cruz
Joined: Jan 2013, #94878
Location: OAK HARBOR, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzs2013SR5 View Post
Installed now for about 2 weeks with no problems to report. I have used remote start to many times to count with-out any issues so far. I am happy with the system. (Python 574) This guy here in Mesquite, TX did a great job for 175.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #80
Senior Member
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
nammer's Avatar
Name: Nam
Joined: Aug 2011, #60945
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,667
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
just had this installed yesterday along with tilt sensor and glass break sensor. Thanks riverdog, the installer had his own sheet, and ran into some wiring discrepancies so i told him to look up your thread, he used your info, and the only thing he couldn't find were the door trigger wires, so he wired a single wire to the door ajar. Anyways, i got the glass break sensor, and was curious if anybody could set it to be this sensitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiPfPx3HRw

cause i almost have to break my window to get it to go off, or maybe it's the shock sensor that's actually working
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any interest on a Guide for installing a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start Riverdog 2nd Gen. Tacomas 23 01-17-2014 04:34 PM
Brand New Viper 5901 Remote Start alarm Taco89 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 38 08-17-2012 03:00 PM
Viper alarm/remote start question monte1985 2nd Gen. Tacomas 14 12-03-2010 04:54 PM
viper alarm with remote start iphone app. MotoXdoer 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 12-29-2009 05:20 PM
Viper Remote Start 2 way Alarm 5701 $113 tim920 Deals & Coupons 0 10-30-2009 05:54 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.