1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Riverdog, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    Got my 5704 installed today by a DEI dealer. $150 for the install w/ the bypass, remote start, all that. This is pretty dang cool :) I recommend it.

:EDIT:
    That 150 was JUST install. I had bought all the hardware separately. But ya down here in San Diego.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    Total. Holy crap. Where is this place.

3. Apr 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    RubberDucky

RubberDucky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport SR5 LB
    Stereo install.
    Certainly not up here in Alaska!

4. Apr 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    I am willing to bet that Agro paid out the butt for the unit itself ($599+).

If someone could do the install as good as I did for $150 I would definitely pay them to do it because it took me about 15 hours. :eek:

All said and done I was only out $220 for the 5704, glass break sensor, and back up battery

At least you have an intact DEI warranty if it was done through an authorized dealer :p :rolleyes:

Oh, heres some cool stuff Ive been toying with in programming. TO PROGRAM:
    Open driver door, insert key, turn to on position, then turn to off position.
    Press and hold the button on the antenna until you hear the number of beeps relating to menu (1 beep = menu 1, 2 beeps = menu 2, etc) then release.
    Press the button the number of tims relating to the feature listing. Feature 5 = 5 presses. Then press and hold to select, it will beep that number of times.
    Use lock/unlock buttons on remote to cycle through setting, the alarm will chirp number of times related to the setting. Setting 2 will beep 2 times, etc.
    When done remove key and close door. Alarm will cycle for a second or two to confirm.

1. Door unlock pulse Settings. LEAVE IT ON DEFAULT SETTING. Hitting the unlock twice is just plain annoying, tap once and all doors open :) Menu 1, Feature 6, Setting 1
    2. Program to lock the doors upon Ign on (key in), and unlock on key out. Very luxurious feeling feature. Menu 1, Feature 5, Setting 2
    3. Auto lock doors and arm after exiting vehicle / OR / passively re-lock and arm if you dont open a door within 20ish seconds of unlocking. Menu 1, Feature 1, Setting 3 (Auto lock and arm on exit) / OR / Setting 5 (passive relock/arm)

No programming needed: Keep vehicle running when you remove key. Just hit the remote start button and wait 10 seconds or so before removing the key. This cycles the remote start and it will detect the tach and not initialize the starter, if you try to remove the key too soon it will initialize the starter. Thats why you must wait 10 seconds for it to realize the engine is still running and move past the starter stage.
    I use this feature for getting my mail since my mail key is on the same ring as my vehicle key.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I am in San Diego which is where DEI is. I luckily have a friend over at DEI so I got a great deal on the hardware. The DEI installer close to me didn't sell me the unit, but would charge me the normal rate they charge for install. He worked at DEI in the late 90's through early 2k and has been doing this for a long time. I dropped it off that morning and got it that afternoon. He said the install was very straight forward. He used the relay, diodes and programmed the bypass with his DEI issued thing they give him. This is the same place I went for them to install my 545T (night lite system) from DEI which I will add is very dang nice (and cheap to buy).

So I have the warranty still, which is nice, but I expect not to need to use it. TBD.

I will try these last two settings as they seem pretty cool:
    2. Program to lock the doors upon Ign on (key in), and unlock on key out. Very luxurious feeling feature. Menu 1, Feature 5, Setting 2
    3. Auto lock doors and arm after exiting vehicle / OR / passively re-lock and arm if you dont open a door within 20ish seconds of unlocking. Menu 1, Feature 1, Setting 3 (Auto lock and arm on exit) / OR / Setting 5 (passive relock/arm)

6. Apr 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Any idea how I could wire up my electronic Pop N Lock for my tailgate so that AUX opens it, but each time I lock the car, it attempts to lock it? for a trunk, you dont have this issue as you wouldn't drive with the trunk open, but I do want to make sure the tailgate is locked. Right now I have it wired up to the passenger door leads so on unlock of the passenger doors, the tailgate opens. When you lock the doors, the tailgate locks. I'd like to not have the tailgate unlocking unless I indicate. Not a big thing to change, but just less times the solenoid has to operate, right?

7. Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    NorCalTRD

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I like the way you have it setup.
    If your only unlocking the driver door then the tailgate stays locked, so your already not using the solenoid that much.

8. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I think this is possible without much hassle, but I'm not entirely sure. Look at the Installation Guide attached to the first post of this thread. On page 15, there's an option called "Aux 1 Output Type (H2/13 wire)." I think this might be what you're looking for. But to be sure, I think you should ask your question on the12volt.com. The guys over there are really helpful with this kind of thing and they'll give you a definitive answer.

9. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Retrax Tonneau Cover Fox 2.5 Coilovers F/B JVC system with amp Power Block for external lights. PoP N Lock (electric) Python Alarm w/Remote Start
    I found a place here in Mesquite, TX to completely install the Alarm, remote start for $175. I think thats a good deal. They told me they could install in about 4 hours. Is that right? The owner said the installer had 17 years experience. Not to sure about that. I want to do it myself but..........

10. Apr 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    NorCalTRD

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    If you mean that you have bought the system off Amazon for $199 and they will install for $175 thats a super deal.

Usually DEI installs consist of you paying retail for the system which is about $599, then they offer you a "Deal" on the installs so you end up about $800-900 out of pocket.

11. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Retrax Tonneau Cover Fox 2.5 Coilovers F/B JVC system with amp Power Block for external lights. PoP N Lock (electric) Python Alarm w/Remote Start
    Yes, i paid $187 for the Alarm and will be paying 175 for installation.

12. May 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    $175 seems much too low if that's the price for the unit and the install. If its just the install cost, that seems about right from what I remember. As for the 4 hours, if he has 17 years of experience then he probably can do it in 4 hours.

If you did it yourself, I'm guessing it would take 12 to 15 hours. I had zero experience prior to my install and it took me more than 13 hours. And the two other guys that have PM-ed me a bunch that have used this guide to do their installs (also with zero prior experience) took over 12 hours. If you do decide to install it yourself, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. It takes a long time, as well as blood, sweat, and tears; but its also fun to try something this challenging and come out on top. Just don't tell anyone you installed it yourself. :anonymous: Otherwise everyone will be asking you to install a system on their car.

13. May 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    NorCalTRD

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Wow, yeah Cruzs that is a RIDICULOUSLY good deal.

14. May 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Just to clarify. I already have the Alarm, its a Python 574 purchased from Amazon for 187 i think it was. I looked around the area for a good installer and found one here in Mesquite, TX with 17+ years experience with alarm, stereo and many other acc. installs. The only thinks i was concerned with was the 4 hours. That just seems to fast, i dont care how many years experience! I wonder how they make their connections, guess i will have to ask. So in the end, this place is charging me 175 to do it.

15. May 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, I thought 4 hours seemed pretty fast. But I'm just gauging that off my own one-time experience installing the system. Maybe if he had an assistant they could hit the 4 hour mark? I never asked an installer how long it would take them when I was shopping around.

When I was researching how to install mine I read that t-taps and other similar types of quick connections are terrible for alarms and remote start systems. Proper soldering is the best way to go, but I found that many installers don't do that. Good luck with finding an installer. Once you get it installed, post up who you used on this thread so others in the future that are in your area know that you either had a good or bad experience.

16. May 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I'll add something in case someone else has this problem. So my 5704 has been working great except for on cold mornings it wont unlock the doors. The Toyota fob works, the key works, and the button inside works, just not the Viper 5704 when really cold.

My installer said it sounded completely like a resistance issue. I left the truck with him and of course as it always is, he couldnt reproduce the issue the next day. He said the wires the viper uses are thin and they only send a 200ma pulse, so if there is any resistance it may not be enough to trigger the Toyota to open it. Very strange he said, but he just threw in a relay which is 12V direct wired and the viper goes to the relay. ever since installing that, it hasnt had 1 single time in cold weather unlocking. So problem solved. Strange yes, but moving on.

17. May 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    That is indeed strange, but good to know you got it resolved. I haven't had that issue on mine. If it does that on mine, at least now I know how to fix it. Thanks.

18. May 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Installed now for about 2 weeks with no problems to report. I have used remote start to many times to count with-out any issues so far. I am happy with the system. (Python 574) This guy here in Mesquite, TX did a great job for 175.

19. May 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION

[​IMG]

20. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    just had this installed yesterday along with tilt sensor and glass break sensor. Thanks riverdog, the installer had his own sheet, and ran into some wiring discrepancies so i told him to look up your thread, he used your info, and the only thing he couldn't find were the door trigger wires, so he wired a single wire to the door ajar. Anyways, i got the glass break sensor, and was curious if anybody could set it to be this sensitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiPfPx3HRw

cause i almost have to break my window to get it to go off, or maybe it's the shock sensor that's actually working :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top