Notices

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #121
mds2004 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
mds2004's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stractman View Post
it will die if you press the brake pedal before turning the key. be sure you keep your foot off the pedal and then turn the key. if you're turning the key and it's just dying, best of luck trying to figure out the issue. i don't know.
Foot is definitely off of the brake pedal. Thanks though. I may just take it back to the place that installed it.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #122
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds2004 View Post
Once the once remote start is activated and you want jump in the truck you just turn the key correct?

Well when I do this maybe 60% of the time the truck dies. Sometimes it dies instantly, and sometimes it dies after like two seconds. Other times it will stay on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Quote:
it will die if you press the brake pedal before turning the key. be sure you keep your foot off the pedal and then turn the key. if you're turning the key and it's just dying, best of luck trying to figure out the issue. i don't know.
My thoughts exactly. It's a safety feature built into the alarm system to prevent someone driving away in your truck. So make sure your foot stays off the brake pedal before putting the key in the ignition and turning the key. If that's not the issue then it might be difficult to diagnose. If it's only happening sometimes, then you might have a bad connection/loose wire somewhere.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #123
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Are you turning the key all the way to start? Idk if that would stop the remote start or not. You only need to turn it to on, or the second click.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #124
mds2004 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
mds2004's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTac07 View Post
Are you turning the key all the way to start? Idk if that would stop the remote start or not. You only need to turn it to on, or the second click.
Thanks this may be it as I have been turning it fully. I will pay attention to see if it works next time that way.

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #125
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
if my remote start is on, and i turn it all the way (to the point of cranking) it doesn't do anything, I know some of the old units would actually grind, but this unit doesn't, or shouldn't
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #126
stractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstractman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
stractman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
if my remote start is on, and i turn it all the way (to the point of cranking) it doesn't do anything, I know some of the old units would actually grind, but this unit doesn't, or shouldn't
i'm pretty sure most remote start units have anti-grind which disables cranking while it's running. i've cranked the key all the way so many times after i have remotely started my truck...if it weren't for the anti-grind i would be replacing starters all the time. habits die hard.

as for the engine turning off when turning the key, just like someone mentioned before, there might be a loose connection to one of the safety mechanisms. hood pin, brake, or open door safety shut down?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #127
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
i'm pretty sure most remote start units have anti-grind which disables cranking while it's running. i've cranked the key all the way so many times after i have remotely started my truck...if it weren't for the anti-grind i would be replacing starters all the time. habits die hard.

as for the engine turning off when turning the key, just like someone mentioned before, there might be a loose connection to one of the safety mechanisms. hood pin, brake, or open door safety shut down?
Thank you both for clearing that up I payed attention today when I was starting the truck and found you were both right
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #128
cactusred is on a distinguished road
cactusred's Tacoma Gallery
Idatalink transponder bypass

So the original thread has the iDataLink ADS-TB bypass module installed. I've read other used pkall or expresskit. Seems though some you have to have a cable, others you have to have some professional dealer flash it. Any preferred recommendations on this.

When you go to the website, idatalink, and put in the vehicle it has 4 different ones listed, what's the difference? Does the seller, flash this for my 2013 Tacoma before they ship it, so it's ready to go, plug and play?

http://www.idatalink.com/search/sear...ehicle_id=9149

Appreciate any help, my eyes are bugging from all the info to read about this project.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #129
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusred View Post
So the original thread has the iDataLink ADS-TB bypass module installed. I've read other used pkall or expresskit. Seems though some you have to have a cable, others you have to have some professional dealer flash it. Any preferred recommendations on this.

When you go to the website, idatalink, and put in the vehicle it has 4 different ones listed, what's the difference? Does the seller, flash this for my 2013 Tacoma before they ship it, so it's ready to go, plug and play?

http://www.idatalink.com/search/sear...ehicle_id=9149

Appreciate any help, my eyes are bugging from all the info to read about this project.
Sorry to have made your eyes all buggy. I tend to write a lot if you hadn't noticed.

The only reason I went with that specific idatalink bypass is because it was the only bypass the shop in stock that would work for my truck. They flashed the correct firmware onto it when I bought it, and didn't charge me anything for flashing it.

On idatalink's website, two of the four are the Blade series. As far as I can tell, these will not work with a Viper 5704. The other two from the Multi series will both work, but one is more expensive. The ADS-AL CA is a bypass and door lock module. It will work for your truck (assuming you already have power locks) but you still need to have the correct firmware flashed onto it. Its also more expensive than the ADS-TB. The ADS-TB is just a bypass and will work with your truck. You would still need someone to flash the proper firmware onto it. If you go with a bypass from idatalink, go with the ADS-TB.

There are other manufacturers out there; you mentioned expresskit and pkall. I don't know anything about how to install them so I wouldn't be able to answer any questions you might have if you went with one of them. I recommend buying the bypass from a local car audio store just so they can flash the proper firmware onto it. That way you won't have to worry about which bypass to buy. You might even call a few in your area and ask if they carry the idatalink ADS-TB.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #130
Edpsx is on a distinguished road
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have issues with the remote start not cranking long enough? I noticed last night when the engine was cold that it didnt fully start the truck. Stopped the remote start and tried it again and it started. Its done it a couple of times on me. I just dont want to be shopping at the mall around xmas when its cold and start my truck, or think I did, and get out to the back of the parking lot to a cold truck. And I sure wish they had a PC interface to programming the remote. I hate the button system they put in place.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsx View Post
Anyone have issues with the remote start not cranking long enough? I noticed last night when the engine was cold that it didnt fully start the truck. Stopped the remote start and tried it again and it started. Its done it a couple of times on me. I just dont want to be shopping at the mall around xmas when its cold and start my truck, or think I did, and get out to the back of the parking lot to a cold truck. And I sure wish they had a PC interface to programming the remote. I hate the button system they put in place.
You can change the length of time that it cranks. By default, it should be set to 0.6 seconds. But you can change it to 0.8, 1.0, or 1.2 seconds. On the first page of this thread, there's an attachment called "Viper 5704 Installation Guide." On page 16 of that, it shows you how to change the cranking time to another option. If you have any questions about changing the crank time, feel free to ask me. No matter what setting you have it on, it should stop cranking once the engine starts.

If your truck doesn't start, you'll get an error message on your remote saying it failed to start. So you'll know it didn't start while you're still inside the mall. It will attempt to start your truck several times (3 times I think) before quitting and will send you the failed to start message.

I'm with you on programming the remote. Its pretty frustrating and leaves much to be desired.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #132
ike3000 will become famous soon enough
ike3000's Tacoma Gallery
glad this thread made it to the top. i've been looking at remote start systems for some time. i definitely don't want another fob on my keychain so replacement alarm w/remote start is the route i will go. this Viper system has received good reviews and i'm glad people having installed it in the Tacoma with success. garage isn't big enough for my truck and the wife's SUV so i get shafted with the driveway. i will be starting this project in the coming months before it gets too cold.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #133
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not sure if u installed it yourself or had someone do it, but there is also a tach wire that you or he/she may have installed. I had the SAME EXACT problem you did when i got installed, and I switched the way it was set, and never had that problem again. The instructions on how to do so are even on the quick reference sheet, and was super easy to do
Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike3000 View Post
glad this thread made it to the top. i've been looking at remote start systems for some time. i definitely don't want another fob on my keychain so replacement alarm w/remote start is the route i will go. this Viper system has received good reviews and i'm glad people having installed it in the Tacoma with success. garage isn't big enough for my truck and the wife's SUV so i get shafted with the driveway. i will be starting this project in the coming months before it gets too cold.
Good luck when you get around to installing it. Having one of these is great, especially in the colder months. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #135
FarSide is on a distinguished road
FarSide's Tacoma Gallery
Quite the informative thread...definitely a good read. I just recently bought a 5704V system to install, but my Taco is a '98. Anyone here had experience with the wiring in a '98, specifically the remote H3 harness? I'm a bit lost on the "flex relay" and other potential connections there... any suggestions would be great!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #136

Quote:
Quote:
not sure if u installed it yourself or had someone do it, but there is also a tach wire that you or he/she may have installed. I had the SAME EXACT problem you did when i got installed, and I switched the way it was set, and never had that problem again. The instructions on how to do so are even on the quick reference sheet, and was super easy to do
Nammer is probably right. If your Viper isn't set to Virtual Tach Mode you'll have an issue. On the first post of this thread there's an attachment called Viper_5704_Installation_Guide.pdf. Download that and then look on pages 7 and 16. If you need to reset the tach mode, start reading on page 20.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarSide View Post
Quite the informative thread...definitely a good read. I just recently bought a 5704V system to install, but my Taco is a '98. Anyone here had experience with the wiring in a '98, specifically the remote H3 harness? I'm a bit lost on the "flex relay" and other potential connections there... any suggestions would be great!
I don't know if I can be much help since you have a '98, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in if they know. However, I bet you can find the answers you're looking for on another forum called the12volt.com. They have a Car Security and Convenience section with lots of info about remote start systems. I'm not sure if there have been any discussions involving a a '98 Tacoma, but you could always start one. When I was researching before my install I asked a lot of questions over there and they were all really helpful. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #139

Quote:
hey riverdog, or anybody for that matter, what is the tool to cut off the insulation in the middle of a wire? is it the pistol grip one, or is it one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industri...2660364&sr=1-1
Yeah, that'll do it. I got mine at Radio Shack for about the same price as the Amazon one. But its nice that you can buy a 5 pack of them on Amazon.

EDIT: Here's a super exciting video of those wire strippers being used. Its so exciting you can skip the first minute and a half.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #140

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Yeah, that'll do it. I got mine at Radio Shack for about the same price as the Amazon one. But its nice that you can buy a 5 pack of them on Amazon.
cool thanks!

Products Discussed in this Thread