1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Riverdog, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    That's a good deal. I got quotes around me here in CT and people wanted to charge $550 for some base line generic crap models. I got so pissed I quit looking and still don't have an alarm/remote start. :mad: I wish I was savvy enough to install myself, but I don't trust me to not mess it up, lol.

2. Dec 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    malay4785

malay4785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    I got the quote from an AutoImage in Brick. There's a couple around Edison if you wanna give them a call for an estimate, depending on where your at, should only be a 2 hour drive at the most from the New Haven area.

3. Dec 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    Should I follow the 13 tacoma wiring diagram if I have a 2014 tacoma dcsb?

4. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
  5. Dec 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    cactusred

cactusred Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Tacoma
    I ended up having a place in Lewisville Texas do it, called Audio Pro's. I searched online for parts and called and went by 3 or 4 brick and mortar shops. I talked to techs and gotta feel for their install quality and what I could or could not do myself.

In the end, I really wanted to prove to myself that I with the help of a good buddy who's very knowledgeable on electronics, and wiring, could do it ourselves. I ended up having it installed by Audio Pro's. I paid about 650, which included the Clifford 570.4x, which I learned is the same exact system as the Viper 5704, except remote is shaped a hair different.

I also went with the xpress kit pkall, that's what the shop carried and I read pretty good things about it. I also had em put in the battery backup, so if my battery should die or gets disconnected my alarm won't stop there. Of course it could go on and on, you could get the backup horn, other sensors for glass breakage, bla bla bla.

I mainly wanted an alarm and the remote start features, and I got it. So far, I have had it for about two months, and it's worked out real well. The remote start has worked out nicely, though when you are in a building with walls and doors, the mile distance is drastically reduced.

When it's all said and done, the thing I could not get my head past was, I could buy it for cheaper, and had pretty good confidence that me and my friend could of done a good job, that was high quality, but if I happen to of gotten a unit with a defect, that right there would of screwed me, since they will not warranty the unit that is not done by a professional installer.

I asked the installers prior about their install and they told me, they weren't the cheapest in town but they also do everything top notch. I couldn't of done much better myself, it's all soldered in, and even the wiring in the hood compartment was ran in the original truck wiring conduit, so they cut the tie wraps, tucked in the conduit, retiewrapped. Very factory like job.......

6. Dec 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Recently had the 5706 installed in my 2013. My son works at BB so I got a pretty decent discount on everything including installation using his employee discount as a gift from him. Added the Smart Start module and service. So far everything is working perfectly and I'm very pleased.

High of 9 F today and that is a higher temp than anything in the forecast for the next several days. Getting into a warm truck when it is really cold is still a huge kick for me. I have a topper and when I purchased it elected not to get the power lock for it. Now I wish I would had and will go back and have it added along with the Viper trunk sensor and remote unlock. This is the first remote start or alarm I have owned and now wondering why I didn't do it sooner, it is well worth it to me anyhow.

7. Dec 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    malay4785

malay4785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    Any issues with the battery life yet? That's why I'm leaning towards the 5904, a usb rechargeable battery

8. Dec 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    None at all for me anyhow. It is mini usb and it is Li ion. Seems to hold charge extremely well so far.

9. Dec 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Its been about a year since I installed my system. No issues whatsoever with the remote battery. I don't really pay too close attention to how long its been since I last charged it, sorry. But I think it holds a charge for 3-4 weeks. When its getting low, the remote beeps at you after you press the arm or disarm button to let you know that you need to recharge the button. But there is also a battery meter on the screen of the remote.

There are settings you can change that will affect the battery life. I can't think of a specific example, but they're things like sending and receiving updates from the Viper's brain more frequently, and how long the remote's screen stays illuminated after pressing a button.

10. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Beaniam

Beaniam Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4, 2007 2wd, 2014 tundra
    Thinking about doing a remote start in my 2013. I would be doing it myself more than likely. Wondered if anyone else has done one in a base 4x4 truck with no power windows/locks. Just want a basic start/stop remote. Don't need anything else or security. Bulldog? Or does Viper make a basic model like this?

11. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner

If you just want a remote start with no other options, you can get those installed for a pretty good price. The last time I looked at those prices I think it was in the ballpark of $150 to $200. However, if you don't want to pay that much you can always install it yourself.

I'd be cautious if I used any info from Bulldog. Another member here on TW used info from their site on his 2010 or 2011 (I can't remember) and the info was wrong. It ended up messing up his truck. If you do use info from Bulldog, make sure you test every wire you're using with a digital multi-meter to make sure its the correct wire. You wouldn't want to connect a 12V constant wire to something that isn't supposed to have 12V even going to it. :eek:

12. Dec 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    Beaniam

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, at the beginning of this thread. There's a link to a diagram that's supposedly correct. I haven't had anyone tell me that they've used that diagram though. The guy that sent me the link to the correct diagram never finished installing his system so I'm not 100% sure if its correct. I'm 99% sure, but since he never finished I can't be 100% sure. So if you use it, can you tell me if its correct so I can update the OP? And its really not too hard to install these systems. Its just tedious.

The installation kit that comes with the Bulldog one would be nice to have. I would think the Viper might be more reliable though. Maybe? I've never had any issues whatsoever with my Viper.

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Beaniam

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I am leaning more toward the bulldog now. That viper kit is $200. Same thing from bulldog is $70. They are both the basic remote start only deals.
    I am pretty sure my truck doesn't have the transponder key. I don't have that light on the dash and my key just looks like a normal rubber covered key.

15. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    With a savings of $130, I might go for the bulldog if I were you. As for the needing a bypass... it might be worth your time to stop at a Toyota dealership for a couple minutes and ask about your key. Transponder keys tend to be a lot more expensive than non-transponder keys. If your key is not a transponder key then you don't need to buy and install a bypass.

16. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Beaniam

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I read somewhere that the base regular cab pickups had non transponder keys. I will be ordering the Bulldog. Hopefully the diagrams in this thread will work for me.

17. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Have fun and good luck! Let me know how it all goes.

18. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Beaniam

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Will do. I just read regardless of trim, 4cyl = no transponder, 6cyl = transponder.

19. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Beaniam

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Well I just finished the install. Took about 2 hours. I used the link earlier in this thread for the wiring diagram. Was pretty easy as I'm only using it for the start/stop funtion. I don't have anything else. Bulldog doesn't seem to have the best reputation but it has worked up to 200' so far. Haven't tried further. We'll see how it holds up I guess.

20. Dec 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Back in the early days of me installing remote starter in my past vehicles, I used Bulldog (cheap and easy).

If you need a bypass and you're using Bulldog, you need to use a Bulldog Bypass. All bypasses work with other brands... except Bulldog.

BTW, I'm buying a Viper 2 way at the end of the month. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top