Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Unexpected Surprise, Factory Rear Door Speaker Mounts 2013 Access Cab

Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Flight Ready
Space Junk is on a distinguished road

Space Junk's Tacoma Gallery
Unexpected Surprise, Factory Rear Door Speaker Mounts 2013 Access Cab

I have been interested in disconnecting the head liner speakers in my 2013 AC and installing a pair in my rear doors instead. I had not heard anyone doing this in a 2013 yet and so I pulled the door skin off today to see what my options were and look what I found behind the skin!

So now what do I do, get Tacotunes adapters and mount new speakers into the sheet metal? I am concerned about doing this as there is a two or more inch gap between the plastic door skin and the sheet metal so The speakers will end up recessed beneath the plastic skin.

Do I mount the speakers to the sheet metal and cut a hole in the door skin and mount the grills to the skin? Won't the sound be muffled mounting the speakers recessed like this?

Should I mount the speakers on stand offs so the speaker is flush with the door skin, or should I mount the speakers directly to the door skin? If I mount it to the skin won't I have vibration issues?

Your thoughts on this are appreciated!

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...DEF80D5EFD.jpg

Regardless it is great news that us 2013's don't have to settle for the head liner speakers or no rear speakers at all!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
That is indeed a great find! If this were my truck I would get the Tacotunes adapters and mount new speakers to the sheet metal along with the adapters and Dynamat or RAAMat. But only if there's enough space between the door skin and the speaker. I would also cut holes in the plastic door skin and mount grills to the skin. I would try and find some OEM (or OEM looking) grills rather than using the grills that come with the speakers. That way if a would-be-thief looks in the truck, the speaker grills won't grab their attention. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
reastiebeagle is a name known to allreastiebeagle is a name known to allreastiebeagle is a name known to allreastiebeagle is a name known to allreastiebeagle is a name known to allreastiebeagle is a name known to all
Name: Adam
reastiebeagle's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think the door skin from an older model Tacoma would fit on there? The speaker grills are already integrated in the access cab rear door skins for the "previous" model.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
Wow super excited to see this. I hope my 2012 has these as well. Keep me posted if you go with older year door covers and if thy fit.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Putting speakers back there (in any model) will make things sound worse. Put your money that you would have spent on rear speakers and just spend twice as much on front speakers. You'll thank me.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Putting speakers back there (in any model) will make things sound worse. Put your money that you would have spent on rear speakers and just spend twice as much on front speakers. You'll thank me.
That is simply false. I added two Infinity speakers in about the same location and things improved dramatically.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know you are right about this, it will ruin the sound stage. But the headliner speakers are horrible, and having no rear fill is kind of annoying to me. Do you think if it is done right it would be worth it? I can adjust all the delays and even adjust the listening position on my head unit. I am still learning when it comes to building a nice system. I am pretty happy with mine right now but i feel like is lacking something, and i am hoping adding rear fill will help. I have read alot of your posts and admire your work, point me in the right direction please haha.

Oh and you 2012/2013 access cab guys. The speakers and their locations have been this way since 09. I have seen at least 3 or 4 guys who have added rear speakers in the door panels, so its been done just gatta search to find it haha.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here is the cleanest install i have seen on the 09+ access cab rear doors. Not mine this is member tacodaddy's truck
Unexpected Surprise, Factory Rear Door Speaker Mounts 2013 Access Cab-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355199616.026351.jpg
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
That is simply false. I added two Infinity speakers in about the same location and things improved dramatically.
I'm not even going to respond to this....wait, oh crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I know you are right about this, it will ruin the sound stage. But the headliner speakers are horrible, and having no rear fill is kind of annoying to me. Do you think if it is done right it would be worth it? I can adjust all the delays and even adjust the listening position on my head unit. I am still learning when it comes to building a nice system. I am pretty happy with mine right now but i feel like is lacking something, and i am hoping adding rear fill will help. I have read alot of your posts and admire your work, point me in the right direction please haha.

Oh and you 2012/2013 access cab guys. The speakers and their locations have been this way since 09. I have seen at least 3 or 4 guys who have added rear speakers in the door panels, so its been done just gatta search to find it haha.
Definitely clip out those headliner speakers and throw them out. I still can't figure out what idiot thought those were a good idea.

My suggestion to you would be to focus on balance and tonallity first before you get too wrapped up in staging. A well balanced system can be time aligned to sound better...but a system with poor tonality and great staging will NEVER sound good.

PM me your system or planned system details and I'll do what I can to help you in the right direction.
Quote:
Here is the cleanest install i have seen on the 09+ access cab rear doors. Not mine this is member tacodaddy's truck
Attachment 184303
Well executed for sure!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:

Definitely clip out those headliner speakers and throw them out. I still can't figure out what idiot thought those were a good idea.

My suggestion to you would be to focus on balance and tonallity first before you get too wrapped up in staging. A well balanced system can be time aligned to sound better...but a system with poor tonality and great staging will NEVER sound good.

PM me your system or planned system details and I'll do what I can to help you in the right direction.

Well executed for sure!
Thanks alot man! Ill message you soon, dont make me spend to much money lol. Replaced the whole stock system about 6 months ago and i am already thinking about upgrading some of the components of my setup.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well executed for sure!
Well, it wasn't the only thing I added
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Let me know when you wanna sell me that sub thump box leggo
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Flight Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by reastiebeagle View Post
Do you think the door skin from an older model Tacoma would fit on there? The speaker grills are already integrated in the access cab rear door skins for the "previous" model.
That's an interesting question. Hate to imagine what the skins would cost from the dealership though.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Flight Ready

Quote:
Unfortunately I have already bought and installed front speakers, also bought rear speakers, an amp and a sub. I am old school with rear speakers and like the fill it gives me, I think it will be alright.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Flight Ready

Quote:
Yes I have seen where people have replaced speakers back there that were already existing and had grills already in the door skins but it surprised me to find a speaker mount with no grill in the skin. Looking back I realize that is a ridiculous statement, why would Toyota change a hidden inner door sheet metal just because they didn't want to include speakers in a new model?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Flight Ready

Quote:
Attachment 184303
Wow I like that a lot! Much cleaner then a round grill, especially one that overlapse the contours of the panel like I have seen some people do.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Headliner?

WTF did Toyota do on the new trucks?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Headliner?

WTF did Toyota do on the new trucks?
May have been an ill-conceived attempt to lighten the access doors.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
ToyotaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I did and its is at least 100 times better than stock. I also amped the doors speakers which makes a huge difference. The best speakers in the world with the best deck will still sound like garbage compared to an amped set up. The deck simply does not have enough power to drive the door speakers and produce quality sound. I made my own speaker mount out of 3/4" PVC board. The mounts from tacotunes are just way too expensive if you ask me. Making my own cost me like $20 I think. It didn't take a lot of time either. I made them for the front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected Surprise, Factory Rear Door Speaker Mounts 2013 Access Cab-image.jpg