1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth mic placement

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Voodoochild 2k9, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    OK to answer most of these questions...

The "third" connection on that iPod cable that is on the same end as the USB, it plugs into a data port on the back of the radio. If I recall correctly, it is yellow. The USB also should be plugged into the back of the head unit. If you have a USB port on the front, and planned on using that port, then you don't need the pioneer iPod cable. If you use your white iPod cable on the front USB port, you will have very limited functionality. Not even sure it will do anything more than charge. The pioneer iPod cable needs both plugs connected behind the unit... USB for charging and music and the other yellow plug for data and video transfer and app mode.

The mic placement is best where everyone is showing it... clipped to the headliner by the center mirror.

I have seen a post that someone used the OEM mic in the OEM mirror in place of the pioneer mic... not sure the outcome or if it was successful, but it is something I have been meaning to try. I have an extra mic just in case it doesn't work and I cut the wires for nothing. I believe you need to tap into the OEM mic at the mirror, not behind the radio. Not positive about this 'amp' you spoke of, but if in fact it exists, its most likely not in the mirror assembly, so tapping the mic there should work. May want to wait until someone else (like myself) tries it first unless your prepared to buy a new pioneer mic if it doesn't work.

Oh and as mentioned, the iPhone 5 is NOT compatible with the iPod cable you have. Pioneer stated that their 2013 lineup would have built in support for the iPhone 5, but I have yet to see this feature in their new models. The reason you can't just get a 30 pin adapter is because the output from the iPhone 5 is a digital signal that needs to be decoded. Therefore, no cable can transfer that data. A dedicated chip must be built inside the head unit to understand the data being sent through the cable. No cable is available at this time for the iPhone 5, nor do they have any models which support that phone. No adapters will work. And firmware updates will also not work. It must be a hardware change, not software. This info came directly from pioneer tech support about 1-2 month ago just before their 2013 lineup was announced. So you may want to do some research before picking up a new phone. You may be disappointed at the findings.

Hope all this helps.

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    Awesome post..thanks for the help. I got my mic ran tonight. Not held on by anything yet, just kinda pushed the flat part of the mic holder under the edge the conduit leading to the mirror. My factory mix is in the upper console between two sunglass holders BTW.

Yeah I see where you mean on the back. Unfortunately I won't be able to run the USB to the factory plug. Not a big deal but I'm a little anal about having a plug that isn't useful. BTW if anyone has a 2012 and knows how to pull the aux/USB out of the dash panel, chime in. Tried pushing from behind, but that puppy wasn't budging. Thinking about just putting a blank in and wiring a jack to it to serve as aux port. Or just blank it out all together.

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Why can't you get to the back of the radio to plug in that data cable?

And do you have a pic of the OEM mic? I was referring to the one built into the rear view mirrors... do you have the factory installed after market one?

4. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    Most 2012's have integrated bluetooth. The mic for that is in the overhead console.... at least it looks like it is.

5. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Hmm... haven't seen the 12. In have an 09' and mine is built into the rear view mirror seen here:

IMG_1398_dd42eb9579f0d93185ecda4108065ba00d4698df.jpg

That's an old picture and not whats in my truck anymore, buy if you look at the small hump on top of the mirror in the center, just left of the radar detector, you can see the OEM Bluetooth mic. I'll try to tap into it soon and I'll post result. Can you post a picture of yours?

6. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM
    Gregstukey

Gregstukey Member

Member:
    Since you some of you guys are running the pioneer setups, has anyone had trouble with hbo go and the 3200bt family of hu's? Pretty sure its an hbo go thing but i get an hbo/hdmi error message. Just curious if you guys have had app incompatibility...

07 trd dc

btw, i also ran my mic through dash by way of under the driver side steering column, up the window under the side trim piece, across the headliner at the window and clipped it to the trim next to the sunglass stash.

7. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I can run it to the back of the radio, but I was hopping to be able to run a USB cable from the back of the radio to the factory USB plug that's by the little storage tray under the 12volt accessory plugs. The reason is because if I'm tying up the USB on the radio with a proprietary iPod cable, I won't be able to run it for standard USB devices. Now if I could get an extension of that strange data connect (they call it an RGB for apps, so must be for video or sorts...maybe GPS apps) I could possibly manage it.

Pictures to come. Will be from my phone, cuz I don't feel like messing with the SD cards and uploading from PC. So excuse the quality!

8. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Here's mine. Stealthy and very functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Awesome!

10. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Here you can see where the 12 factory mic is. Also you can see the USB port I was hoping to wire to the USB input on my radio. The last is where I ran my new mic. It's just hanging out there under the lip of the conduit. No sticky tape yet.

uploadfromtaptalk1355440309360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355440388617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355440461629.jpg

11. Dec 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    I like where you put the mic. Seems sturdy and the best part is you eliminated that bulky clip. And its easily moveable too. I'd just keep it there.

As far as the USB port goes, you can easily connect the OEM USB to the aftermarket radio, but I see your dilemma by wanting to use that as your dedicated iPod only cable and not just USB.

Maybe consider running the pioneer iPod cable to the center console. You can keep it put away in there until you need to use it. If its for your phone, don't worry because the lid will still close with the wire coming out so you can still see/use/access the phone while its plugged in. Just a thought

12. Dec 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    It's something to think about. Seems like a lot of work to take apart that console. We'll see how I feel about it once I get an iPhone and some spare time.
    I've also been unsuccessful in trying to pop out that USB/AUX from the panel. I was able to pop out a couple of the blanks (which turned out to have some wiring behind them...odd) but that one must have some serious retaining clips! I pushed on it from the back when I was installing the radio, and it didn't budge in the slightest. I need to get one of those dentist mirrors and see if I can see down in there.

13. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Center console is actually really easy to remove. 2 screws and 2 bolts.

Try popping out a blank, then reaching your finger through the blank and push out the USB/Aux plug. But be careful, I heard its very fragile. May be better off doing it right and just removing the console to access the port

14. Dec 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....

When I tried streaming through my bluetooth, I kept getting all of the stupid adds....and when hooked up to the ipod cable I don't get any at all :) My 1st world problems may seem petty to some but it makes me a happy camper :p

Products Discussed in

To Top