Notices

Bluetooth mic placement

Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Bluetooth mic placement and iPod cable

What is your favorite place to mount the bluetooth mic on aftermarket systems? I have a Pioneer if that helps, not sure if there is a quality difference on different brands' mics. I would prefer a spot where the passenger can be heard as well, and maybe somewhat hidden if possible.

I wish I could use the factory mic, but I've read that those are amplified and therefor will not work with aftermarket radios.

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Off topic, but also if you have the new wire for the iPhone 4/4s where does the other end plug in? The USB and iPod end are obvious, but I don't recognize the third input. Will be getting an iPhone when I am eligible for an upgrade to my phone, and am planning for the install ahead of time.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
I ran mine up the drivers side pillar and across to the center. I stuck it to the glass at the very top behind the mirror. It worked well from there for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
I ran mine up the drivers side pillar and across to the center. I stuck it to the glass at the very top behind the mirror. It worked well from there for me.
Was that a difficult run or pretty straight forward?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty straight forward. Stick your fingers up there and you will feel that you can tuck that wire in where the window and headliner meet. Fishing it through the dash wasn't too hard either. Just be patient and don't yank to hard on those delicate little wires.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #6

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoochild 2k9 View Post
Off topic, but also if you have the new wire for the iPhone 4/4s where does the other end plug in? The USB and iPod end are obvious, but I don't recognize the third input. Will be getting an iPhone when I am eligible for an upgrade to my phone, and am planning for the install ahead of time.
iphones plug in to usb plugs. Not sure how our cord has 3 plugs on it? Maybe a picture would help.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #7

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...bles/CD-IU201S

Used for iPhone 4/4s and the more recent iPod touch to control the compatible apps on the new Pioneer radios. Don't recognize that third plug. And I don't seem to see a spot for it on the back of my radio.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

From the Pioneer website:
  • Enjoy Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4/4S or iPod® Touch 4th Gen on your AVH-P8400BH
  • USB and RGB Connections for Audio/Video Playback and Access to Compatible Apps.
  • Designed for Optimal USB Device Charging
  • Cable Measures 1' 8" with 6' 7" RGB Cable
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post

I also have mine there too and it works great!! By the way I also have a Pioneer AVHP4400.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #10

BTW what do you stick it with? 3M?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:

Used for iPhone 4/4s and the more recent iPod touch to control the compatible apps on the new Pioneer radios. Don't recognize that third plug. And I don't seem to see a spot for it on the back of my radio.

With mine I used the standard white Ipod cable and I can use it for all of the apps, Pandora...whatever else I want, it works just fine in my 4400.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #12

The 2013 line has a different app mode I think. The new one is called Advanced App Mode. Don't know if this makes a difference.

My main concern here is that I am trying to wire up the usb and aux inputs to the stock location (there is a thread on it somewhere in here). But I don't know where that third connection goes. I will try out the standard iPod cable and see if that works. I should be able to test it with my daughter's iPod touch before I get my iPhone.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #13

Army:
Yeah I saw a thread around here with someone who retro'd a usb port into one of the button holes...looked pretty good. I just run mine from the back of the deck to the front console area because I like to always charge my phone while listening to Pandora. Also for the bluetooth as well, even though i can just use the HU for that.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

The one I saw used a part from a Tundra that fit into the switch blanks for older Tacos (pre 2012). The part looks to be identical to what comes stock on newer models.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTacoGuy View Post
I also have mine there too and it works great!! By the way I also have a Pioneer AVHP4400.
What'd you use to stick it with? I have a tint strip up there. Will that matter?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #16

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Just a question, you aren't planning on getting a NEW iphone? An iphone 5 I mean? They use a different plug is why I ask.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
GerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
GerhartCss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What'd you use to stick it with? I have a tint strip up there. Will that matter?
Not sure about anyone else, but I have a Pioneer and also have it up there. Mine came with a clip so I just clipped it between the windshield and the headliner.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
mne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to beholdmne3312 is a splendid one to behold

mne3312's Tacoma Gallery
mic placement

I mounted the mic between the head liner and windshield with the clip that came with the 4400. The wire was plenty long enough to run up the side and across the top of the windshield. On another note, the iPhone 5 will not transfer video to the HU. I have the 30 pin to lightning port adapter and it does not transfer video. The only thing the adapter is good for is charging the phone in the truck. I hope Pioneer is in the process of producing a lightning cable for the latest Apple products. These are not the best pics, but I think you can see that the clip fits perfectly with no tape or glue holding it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluetooth mic placement-img_1790.jpg   Bluetooth mic placement-img_1791.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

this part is not very long FYI. my HU came with a usb adapter. that had a male and female usb ends. i had to get this^^ but mine has a 3.5m jack kind like head phones and the USB. idk what other little plug on that one is. but it also works with ipod classic/video.(idk what gen mine is i have had it for 4 or 5 years tho.) i have it all tucked and ran into the center console.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so do i.
Quote:
With mine I used the standard white Ipod cable and I can use it for all of the apps, Pandora...whatever else I want, it works just fine in my 4400.
i just stream pandora thru bluetooth from my phone. don’t need to plug it in.