Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Audio newb with questions and advice

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Audio newb with questions and advice

So, I'm wanting to upgrade my sound system a little. I plan on keeping the stock HU as I like that stock look.

I've decided to go with components in the front doors and add a sub and amp. Im more than likely gonna get all of it from best buy as I can just throw it on the best buy card. And they also price match.

I listened to these components in store and liked how they sounded.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=1807251

I read someone mentioning going with a DVC sub. Was thinking of this one? Its got some good reviews over at crutchfield.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...&skuId=9896963

And just for making it this far
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was just gonna get the components there and have it installed elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
nothing wrong with single voice coil subs...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Skewpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
nothing wrong with single voice coil subs...
I'm open to suggestions
Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Skewpage

Would like to try and keep the parts under 350
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Skewpage

So, got a chance to listen to a pair of these today and I think they sound better than the alpines.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...ers&cp=1&lp=15
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
My suggestion for comps under 100 bucks are the Phoenix gold rsd65's

Thousands of reviews for this set, which all praise them. Believe morel had something to do with the design or something...for the most part dual voice coils allow for more wiring options.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
My suggestion for comps under 100 bucks are the Phoenix gold rsd65's

Thousands of reviews for this set, which all praise them. Believe morel had something to do with the design or something...for the most part dual voice coils allow for more wiring options.
They're almost impossible to find now since they were so killer. Everyone raided the supplies and now they're basically all gone.

For the sub, since you have a bestbuy gift card; get this subwoofer. It's stellar for the price. Have them pricematch. Sonic has them for $111
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JBL+-+10...&skuId=1550698

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GTO1014D.html
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
PreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Clayton
PreRunning's Tacoma Gallery
Word of advice. I have had two Polk DXI subs with the ported boxes that are factory and BOTH failed to last more than 24 hours. Bestbuy promptly returned them no questions asked. I did not run them crazy hard either. They are known for wiring problems.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Banned
I have yet to blow a sub, it's harder than most people think unless you do something blatantly stupid.

ive ran a few different sets now, and these hertz esk's i got for 200 sound really nice, and im not just saying that, takes a good while to get that "ear fatigue" thing at pretty high volume, not harsh, pretty mellow tweeters, and solid midbass from a pretty small, and light motor.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Truth. I haven't popped anything yet and I've run a ton of equipment too.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Skewpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
They're almost impossible to find now since they were so killer. Everyone raided the supplies and now they're basically all gone.

For the sub, since you have a bestbuy gift card; get this subwoofer. It's stellar for the price. Have them pricematch. Sonic has them for $111
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JBL+-+10...&skuId=1550698

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GTO1014D.html
Cheaper at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO1014D-D...ds=Jblgto1014d

Any recommendations on an amp to power the components and sub?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Rodrigo, lets talk on Saturday. You can check out what I did. Kept factory head unit, added JL Cleansweep interface, X-over, couple amps, components and a couple 12" shallow mount subs. Built box and self install + 100SF of Dynamat. Ill be more than happy to help you out.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Rodrigo, lets talk on Saturday. You can check out what I did. Kept factory head unit, added JL Cleansweep interface, X-over, couple amps, components and a couple 12" shallow mount subs. Built box and self install + 100SF of Dynamat. Ill be more than happy to help you out.
wow .. your stock HU fooled me, I had no idea your stereo was that upgraded
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Skewpage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
wow .. your stock HU fooled me, I had no idea your stereo was that upgraded
Sleeper
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Cheaper at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO1014D-D...ds=Jblgto1014d

Any recommendations on an amp to power the components and sub?
Nice find. The question is will BB price match. I'm guessing no.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't Micah work at best buy? Might be a good way to go
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Skewpage

Quote:
Doesn't Micah work at best buy? Might be a good way to go
Oh yeah, thats right. Havent seen him on in a while. I'll shoot him a PM.

Products Discussed in this Thread