Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Is an aftermarket radio required for a subwoofer installation?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Is an aftermarket radio required for a subwoofer installation?

I've been looking at getting 2 10" JL's, but a friend of mine told me that you must have an aftermarket radio installed. Is this true, or can I wire the subs to the OEM radio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

***disregard the user, I'm posting on my brother's account. Forgot to log in on mine***
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
If you are pre-wired for the JBL woofer, that would be your best bet and easiest install. The woofer shouldn't be hard to find used but if you are not pre-wired I believe the harness makes the price ridiculous.

Only other option that I know of is a line-level converter. You tap one of the speaker outputs and a little box converts the signal down from speaker level to line level with RCA. This could be used as the input for an aftermarket amp and sub. Some amps even have speaker level converters in them, so you could literally tap the speaker and run it straight to an amp.

This is all from memory .. I'm not a subject expert so maybe something else is available I don't know about
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Required, no. Much easier, yes.

You'll need a line converter to use an amplifier with the stock radio, as it doesn't have RCA (pre-amp) outputs. I've used them before and while they will work, I'd think you would be happier overall with an aftermarket radio. It would have a better sound quality than the OEM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
If you are pre-wired for the JBL woofer, that would be your best bet and easiest install. The woofer shouldn't be hard to find used but if you are not pre-wired I believe the harness makes the price ridiculous.

Only other option that I know of is a line-level converter. You tap one of the speaker outputs and a little box converts the signal down from speaker level to line level with RCA. This could be used as the input for an aftermarket amp and sub. Some amps even have speaker level converters in them, so you could literally tap the speaker and run it straight to an amp.

This is all from memory .. I'm not a subject expert so maybe something else is available I don't know about
How would you know if you are pre-wired for the JBL Woofer?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
zacksblacktaco is on a distinguished road

zacksblacktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
I've been looking at getting 2 10" JL's, but a friend of mine told me that you must have an aftermarket radio installed. Is this true, or can I wire the subs to the OEM radio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

***disregard the user, I'm posting on my brother's account. Forgot to log in on mine***
you need one of these
you wire it up to your speaker and hook up some rca cables.
if your interested this one is brand new and i can ship it to you for $25
Attached Thumbnails
Is an aftermarket radio required for a subwoofer installation?-img_0199-1-.jpg