1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker Baffles - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by chrisrothrock2000, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

chrisrothrock2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder
    Hello, I am now upgrading my stock 08 non JBL system with a new Alpine headunit, infinity Kappa speakers and a Alpine amp. After I got all this stuff a friend of mine is telling me to put in foam speaker baffles around the speakers. I am not sure about this - what does the baffle actually do? How does it change the sound? I am not planning at this time to install a sub so I do want a bit of bass coming out of my front 6 x 9s. Thoughts?

2. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Read reviews on the sites that sell them, like crutchfield.com. I have not heard a lot of good thing about the foamy type of baffles, like killing bass responce and sucking into the speakers during loud playing, but please keep in mind I have no hands-on experience with them. I only know what I have read.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder
    Thanks..... Anyone else have any experience with them

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Foam baffles, no. Wooden baffles from Mr. Marv... YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

5. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Wooden baffles?

6. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Yeah... PM Mr Marv and he can get you some. They are made from MDF, but Marv cuts the hole specifically for YOUR speakers. And the craftsmanship is second to none! *********.com sells them, but I think they are plastic and they don't custom cut the hole for your speakers.

As Marv always says, "an 'ok' speaker installed properly will sound 10x better than a great speaker installed improperly"... (ok, I paraphrased a bit :) ). But a "proper installation" includes a good set of baffles.

7. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Ahh.... I am talking about the foam or plastic cup you can put around a speaker to fully enclose it. I have a set of mounting rings from taco tunes.

8. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Ahh... Never mind then.. :)

9. Jan 29, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    ComaTosin

ComaTosin The Not So New guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 PreRunner
    see my sig
    remember, sound comes from both sides of the speaker. why do you want to enclose the back side of the speaker? it needs that free air space in your door to perform properly.
    there is a foam material that acts more like a sound deadner to tighten upo your highs that could be installed over dynamat or ramaat or whatever - maybe this is what your talking about?
    call marve - he'll get you straightened out....

10. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    The baffles are to protect the speaker cone from water damage. Of all the reports I read, fully enclosing the rear of the speaker with a foam baffle messes up the sound. When I installed my Alpines, I cut the baffle in half and mounted the top part to shield against any water coming down from the window.

Fritz

11. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    That is absolutely correct and a good idea for what to actually use those foam baffles for. :D There is sometimes confusion concerning the "baffles" I make and the foam baffles referred to. A baffle "separates" so a fully enclosed foam device like that could be considered a baffle however as mentioned this not a good idea since the vast majority of mobile audio speakers are designed to work in "infinite" baffle (how's that for confusion! :eek:). What I make could technically be called a baffle "adapter" since it not only separates the rear wave from the front wave but it allows you to adapt a different size speaker into that large hole. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top