1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HD Radio Add-on options?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jgunccrugby, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    Hey gang, after 4 years of forgetting I had this account I'm back. In short, I had to buy a new truck b/c someone ran into my 07 and beat it all to hell and back so I got the 2013.

I'm happy with most of the features of the truck, I don't need much. However I was disappointed to find out my stereo didn't have HD radio.

I have been looking all over for an HD add-on tuner but can't find one or any information. Do you guys have any idea on options? I can't help but think the basic unit is the same so it should just be a component addition.

2. Dec 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    For anyone following this thread:
    -I called Toyota Corporate and they said they didn't know for sure but thought it might be possible. Then referred me to the parts department of the local dealer.
    -I called parts, they didn't know and referred me to a stereo place
    -Called the stereo place and they said its not possible.

WTH, you put a touch screen, usb, blue tooth, and aux on a stereo but then limit the functionality or ability to modify and add something that is standard on the next version up of the head unit.

3. Dec 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Theres not many 'add-on' options for stock stereos. You'll want to replace it with an aftermarket. To be completely honest, you'll probably get some money back for your stock stereo posting it on here.

HD radio is a whole different tuner, and they integrate between analog and HD for best signal. This probably explains why its not an add on option at all.

If you're looking at aftermarket, you usually get HD radio, OR bluetooth, but if you want both, be prepared to spend a pretty penny.

Products Discussed in

To Top