Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2012 Regular Cab speaker question

Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Regular Cab speaker question

Hi guys,

Just ordered the Scosche dash kit and Pioneer dual din DVD, was $299 at Best Buy with $100 off - $200 for a highly rated touch screen? Yes please!

Now I'm off to find speakers. It seems like the Scosche speaker install kits you can get (free) with Crutchfield are pretty..meh.

Quote:
This bracket will only work with speakers that require a cutout diameter of 5-1/8" or less.
So, that eliminates 90% of my speaker choices. Does the tacotunes kit allow you to fit all 6.5" speakers, no cutout woes like the above kit?

Also,
has anyone just replaced the speakers in the front doors without replacing the tweeters? I'm not an audiophile, I just want something better than stock in the doors mainly to compliment my new head unit. I also don't want to have to get yet another tacotunes kit for the tweeters. Is this possible to install without having to cut wires? I want the stock tweeters to still work. Any suggestions on what-Way speakers I get if I'm just doing the front doors, no rear speakers planned to be added. I would assume I don't need 5way speakers or whatever if I'm going to keep using the stock tweets.

Thanks much! Again, no audiophile here, just want something a little better. Even considering a small bazooka tube powered sub for a tiny bit extra thump (the reviews are surprisingly good!)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, nevermind. I ordered Crutchfield's rockford component kit which includes some speakers. Since it comes with adapters for the front speakers, and the Rockford kit fits in these adapters, I figured it was better than ordering a tacotunes kit for doors. If they had awful reviews I probably wouldn't have.

Will figure out something for the tweeters when I receive everything, since I didn't know the diameter of the tweeters I couldn't confidently get the tacotunes tweeter kit.. I figure I could probably cut out something for tweeters more easily than DIY speaker baffles.

Will post install when I get it in.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
cameron172 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Student Naval Aviator
Name: Cameron
cameron172's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hour View Post
Thanks much! Again, no audiophile here, just want something a little better. Even considering a small bazooka tube powered sub for a tiny bit extra thump (the reviews are surprisingly good!)
I highly recommend the Bazooka tube! I got an 8in 50W from Crutchfield as a Christmas present to myself. It took longer to undo and redo the trim than actually install the thing. I keep it at 50% and there's plenty punch and low end presence. I love it! I bought some felt pads used to move furniture so it doesn't rattle against the frame.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback on that, I'm not sure I can fit an 8" behind my bench seat since i'm reg cab and kind of tall, but I may do some measuring in near future. Still yet to install the speakers I ordered.. haven't had a day above freezing in a while and no garage :|