Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Regular Cab subwoofer (behind bench seat)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Regular Cab subwoofer (behind bench seat)

Only looking to add a single 10, an 8 even if that's all I can easily do.

I figure a more traditional setup is better than the underseat subs, and since I already have an amplifier that a friend gave me it should work out cheaper too.

I ride with the bench seat a click or two away from fully back (6'3), so some of the threads I found in search of people running 1 or 2 subs that stand 5'8 don't really answer the question. Also, a lot of people don't specify what box they actually got.

Could someone suggest a box that would fit a single 10" or 8" sub in a 2012 regular cab, with the bench almost fully back? I'm hoping to order online, and even if I were to buy at a big box store (and pay a ton more), it'd be kind of a drag to make 3 trips to find something that works. The dimensions of 10" 'truck' boxes seem to vary so much, either long, or narrow and tall.. not sure where the sweet spot is to fit just a single one (i guess behind driver to avoid jack relocation).

Thanks for leads
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Contact Mr. Marv (Vendor here). He made me a Sub box for a Single 10" Pioneer shallow sub. Fits behind the bench seat with the seat all the way back.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Leonel is on a distinguished road

Leonel's Tacoma Gallery
I made my own box for a shallow 10 to fit behing the bench on the passages side , is 18 inches tall , 16 wide , kept the jack in the stock location but had to drill out one of the brackets .
I'm 5'10" and the seat is 2 clicks from the back
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for responses, The Mr Marv suggestion popped up a few times but I'm not really inclined to go that route as I'm sure it's more costly than mass produced boxes, and they have free shipping often times on Amazon

Leonel, what does your box taper to at the top? I know there's barely any incline in our bench seats hah... but that'd be the area I'd be most concerned about touching the back of the seat.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Leonel's Tacoma Gallery
My box is 5 1/2 inches deep at the top ad 8 1/2 at the bottom with a c notch to fit around the channel across the back wall
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Think this may be the smallest I can find,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_4

Quote:
Enclosure Volume is .4 Cubic Feet
Height 11.25" x Length 15.25" x Top Depth 5" x Bottom Depth 7.25"
Speaker Mounting Depth is 4.75"
Found a very well reviewed $49 Polk shallow sub that would work nicely in this box, requires .35cf volume sealed.

I guess I'll bust out the tape measurer to see if it'll fit before the channel in the back wall.

Thanks again
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
get a z10 ftw or a 9510 dd
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that's all fine and good if I could find a single 10" sub box that isn't custom and can fit behind my bench seat :\
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hour View Post
Well, that's all fine and good if I could find a single 10" sub box that isn't custom and can fit behind my bench seat :\
make your own, it's not too difficult.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pair of 12's behind mine (not shallow). They fit but I can't pull the seat as far back as you mention, trying to figure out if removing the jack and belt might get it done.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
resin is on a distinguished road
Name: R
resin's Tacoma Gallery
where do i find this mr marv?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for responses, The Mr Marv suggestion popped up a few times but I'm not really inclined to go that route as I'm sure it's more costly than mass produced boxes, and they have free shipping often times on Amazon

Leonel, what does your box taper to at the top? I know there's barely any incline in our bench seats hah... but that'd be the area I'd be most concerned about touching the back of the seat.
Its more than what a mass produced enclosure cost, but is not expensive either. I was surprised with the price, I was expecting it to be more. I would shoot him a PM at least.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass
killianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shed

killianeric's Tacoma Gallery
This is my brothers old set up. He made a custom ported box for two Kicker 10 inch comps. Then he put two Kicker L5's in there. Then he rebuilt the box and put one 15 inch L7 in it.

He has made three boxes so far. All three of them are like this

This is his current box(Probably a little bit bigger than you want to go) He swapped out his bench seat for two factory bucket seats. He has two 12 inch Memphis Mojo's. The box is ported through the center console.

And might as well post the pictures of the iPad in the dash..(Still not complete)

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures are always encouraged if you have time or already have them uploaded. I've looked at that box probably ten times but never saw how many cubic feet it was. Also the reviews of people saying they had to trim was a bit of a turnoff.

Did yours fit perfect? If so, pics, and exact model of your sub would be awesome. I left my jigsaw and lots of other useful things 2,000 miles away so something that fits without cutting brackets, allows me to sit comfortably, and doesn't require enlarging hole is the holy grail.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Back when I had my 95.5 regular cab I did something similar to what is pictured above. Took the jack out and made a box that held 2 10's which was built right into the rear wall of the truck. Basically the back of the box was the back wall of the truck and it was fiberglassed into place. Worked out really well once the smell subsided after a few weeks. Seats would go all the way back no problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #16

Leonel's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Slick setups to all the above.

The box Hagen recommended apparently did fit well, he sent pics earlier tonight. I had gone on the measurements of that box and gotten a wedge box with a top diameter no higher than the depth of the box he has, should work out. I just installed my components tonight and they sound like horse shit so I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of box/sub/wiring kit (have amp). Dunno wtf is up with components, I replaced stock HU two weeks ago, made stock speakers come to life. Replaced them with something 500x better and I lose all bass clarity.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
Keep Trucking
Chopper84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Chopper84's Tacoma Gallery
i used a Walmart box and cut it to a shorter depth ti where the magnet basically touched the back of the box in my old ranger single cab. loved the set up till it was stolen from my dads garage.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
TL;DR BOSS

hour's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper84 View Post
i used a Walmart box and cut it to a shorter depth ti where the magnet basically touched the back of the box in my old ranger single cab. loved the set up till it was stolen from my dads garage.
Oh really? I limited my sub woofer choice immensely because I couldn't figure out where the vents were on any of the ones in my price range (even looking at mfg website and googling). I assumed they were on the rear, so I didn't want the magnet all the way back with anything less than like 3/4". This lead me to go with a more shallow mount sub. Here's my setup and logic behind buying it:

***UPDATE 1/11/2013 - JUST INSTALLED*** - Don't buy this box thinking it'll be a perfect fit as I thought. See my latest post here detailing what I had to do to make it fit, and how it's still not a perfect fit.

BOX CHOICE

Hagen sent me pics of his ATREND 10SME Shallow Mount Box (10"). Dimensions of this box are 20" wide, 15" tall, 5" deep (no taper/wedge). With his bench seat all the way back the seat seemed to barely touch the box, but his was also mounted with a strap as he mentioned above, and since the floor isn't level, it doesn't sit flush against the rear wall.

I ordered the SCOSCHE SET10CC Truck Box (wedge, 10").
Dimensions of this box are rounded and less inclusive in the basic description at Scosche's website or on Amazon. It the details on mfg website I found 19" wide, 14.25" tall, 7-7/8" deep at the base and tapers to 4-3/4" deep at the top. Sub Mounting depth of 4-3/4"

Hagen's box and dimensions suggested to me what I could get away with. I don't drive with bench FULLY back, but mostly. I'll try to get it as close to flush with the back wall as possible even if it involves creative mounting methods.

SUB CHOICE

I had considered an 8" for the smaller sized box, but it wouldn't appear as if you save any money buying an 8" sub woofer nor an 8" box. Less options for both. I'm just trying to round out my system, so $50 subs were right up my alley. After figuring out what box I could run, I found it more practical to just do a 10".

I'm not sure what Hagens mounting depth is for sub, but mine being 4.75", I regretfully crossed most off the list. The cheap well rated Kicker comps were over 5", and many other decent ones (based on amazon.com stars) were 4.5" or in that neighborhood. I didn't want to run the magnet so close to the rear wall of the box.

Then I found this cheap thing (BOSS D10F). The price of $37 shipped was appealing as my dang wiring kit cost more than planned after I quested for something with true 4 gauge wire core like my amp desires. I know about BOSS's reputation, but again I'm simply trying to round out my system, not rattle to pieces. The reviews were undeniably good, 4.5 of 5 stars / 62 reviews. After reading the 1 and 2 star reviews, all poorly typed / 'THIS SUB SUX-BLEW RUNNING 200 WATTS OVER PEAK WHAT CRAP F-U BOSS' and stuff, I decided to give it a whirl trusting the good reviews by people who can form sentences properly.

Sub is a *claimed* 400w rms / 800w max but everyone (even the smart folks) seem to think Boss exaggerates this. My amp puts out 400w rms @ 4ohm and will be set pretty low as my requirements aren't high and it's going in the cab with me, not in a trunk 8 feet away. Mounting depth is under 4", my Scosche box will be perfect for the cubic foot requirements of this sub sealed, and all should be well. If it blows, it was a $37 lesson.

I typed this enormous essay up because I read everything Tacomaworld / Customtacos / Entire interwebz had to offer regarding the subject. I hate seeing threads discussing questions I too have, only for OP to say "Figured it out thx" without saying what they decided on.. or abandoned threads entirely with no resolve. I will post again once all my items have arrived and possibly even some installation pictures if they're that interesting.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
gtrplr is on a distinguished road
gtrplr's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh really? I limited my sub woofer choice immensely because I couldn't figure out where the vents were on any of the ones in my price range (even looking at mfg website and googling). I assumed they were on the rear, so I didn't want the magnet all the way back with anything less than like 3/4". This lead me to go with a more shallow mount sub. Here's my setup and logic behind buying it:

BOX CHOICE

Hagen sent me pics of his ATREND 10SME Shallow Mount Box (10"). Dimensions of this box are 20" wide, 15" tall, 5" deep (no taper/wedge). With his bench seat all the way back the seat seemed to barely touch the box, but his was also mounted with a strap as he mentioned above, and since the floor isn't level, it doesn't sit flush against the rear wall.

I ordered the SCOSCHE SET10CC Truck Box (wedge, 10").
Dimensions of this box are rounded and less inclusive in the basic description at Scosche's website or on Amazon. It the details on mfg website I found 19" wide, 14.25" tall, 7-7/8" deep at the base and tapers to 4-3/4" deep at the top. Sub Mounting depth of 4-3/4"

Hagen's box and dimensions suggested to me what I could get away with. I don't drive with bench FULLY back, but mostly. I'll try to get it as close to flush with the back wall as possible even if it involves creative mounting methods.

SUB CHOICE

I had considered an 8" for the smaller sized box, but it wouldn't appear as if you save any money buying an 8" sub woofer nor an 8" box. Less options for both. I'm just trying to round out my system, so $50 subs were right up my alley. After figuring out what box I could run, I found it more practical to just do a 10".

I'm not sure what Hagens mounting depth is for sub, but mine being 4.75", I regretfully crossed most off the list. The cheap well rated Kicker comps were over 5", and many other decent ones (based on amazon.com stars) were 4.5" or in that neighborhood. I didn't want to run the magnet so close to the rear wall of the box.

Then I found this cheap thing (BOSS D10F). The price of $37 shipped was appealing as my dang wiring kit cost more than planned after I quested for something with true 4 gauge wire core like my amp desires. I know about BOSS's reputation, but again I'm simply trying to round out my system, not rattle to pieces. The reviews were undeniably good, 4.5 of 5 stars / 62 reviews. After reading the 1 and 2 star reviews, all poorly typed / 'THIS SUB SUX-BLEW RUNNING 200 WATTS OVER PEAK WHAT CRAP F-U BOSS' and stuff, I decided to give it a whirl trusting the good reviews by people who can form sentences properly.

Sub is a *claimed* 400w rms / 800w max but everyone (even the smart folks) seem to think Boss exaggerates this. My amp puts out 400w rms @ 4ohm and will be set pretty low as my requirements aren't high and it's going in the cab with me, not in a trunk 8 feet away. Mounting depth is under 4", my Scosche box will be perfect for the cubic foot requirements of this sub sealed, and all should be well. If it blows, it was a $37 lesson.

I typed this enormous essay up because I read everything Tacomaworld / Customtacos / Entire interwebz had to offer regarding the subject. I hate seeing threads discussing questions I too have, only for OP to say "Figured it out thx" without saying what they decided on.. or abandoned threads entirely with no resolve. I will post again once all my items have arrived and possibly even some installation pictures if they're that interesting.
Thank you Thank you Thank you! You just saved me a TON of time and I too grow so tired of the op saying "figured it out thanks"!! I'd buy you a beer if you were closer!

Products Discussed in this Thread