Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where are the holes?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Where are the holes?

I will be running coax for Sirius antannae and CB radio antennae. I don't know just exactly where I am going to locate the CB antennae yet but the Sirius antannae will be on the rear of the roof.

I have a '07 Tacoma Crew Cab. I would like to get those two wires into the cab without drilling any holes if at all possible.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius/GPS I ran out the 3rd brake light housing and sealed with RTV.

CB you can run out the floor of the cab under the carpet/seat.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Buff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 64C10
Name: Buff
Buff's Tacoma Gallery
If you remove the back panel under the back window there is a small rubber plug and hole on each rear corner of the cab, Perfect for coax.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
If you remove the back panel under the back window there is a small rubber plug and hole on each rear corner of the cab, Perfect for coax.
Thanks. This is a crew cab or as some call it, an extra cab. So these will behind the rear seat backs? When folded forward, there are storage areas behind the seats. Are you referring to the back panel of the storage area?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Sirius/GPS I ran out the 3rd brake light housing and sealed with RTV.

CB you can run out the floor of the cab under the carpet/seat.

easiest way to do it. simple and quick with no wear issues on the wire. mine has been like that for 4 years. took me all of 10 minutes to run the wire from the radio to the taillight and I only had to pull the sills and kick panel.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Buff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 64C10
Name: Buff
Buff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
Thanks. This is a crew cab or as some call it, an extra cab. So these will behind the rear seat backs? When folded forward, there are storage areas behind the seats. Are you referring to the back panel of the storage area?
Look on the outside between the cab abd the bed. You should be able to see the rubber plugs near the bottom of the cab.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
RetiredPunk is on a distinguished road
Name: troy
RetiredPunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Look on the outside between the cab abd the bed. You should be able to see the rubber plugs near the bottom of the cab.
The antenna puck will mount on top and if the rubber plugs are on the bottom of cab theres going to be atleast 6 ft of coax visible correct ? what or how did you guys hide that ?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredPunk View Post
The antenna puck will mount on top and if the rubber plugs are on the bottom of cab theres going to be atleast 6 ft of coax visible correct ? what or how did you guys hide that ?

this is why 3rd brake light it the best IMO. 2" of exposed wire max.

Mine has been on for 4 years with a magnet mount low pro antenna and never had an issue. Wire is totally hidden behind the rear panel without even removing it. Just had to remove door sill plastics and 3rd light then tape it off for a nice caulk joint and seal it with a good product.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
this is why 3rd brake light it the best IMO. 2" of exposed wire max.

Mine has been on for 4 years with a magnet mount low pro antenna and never had an issue. Wire is totally hidden behind the rear panel without even removing it. Just had to remove door sill plastics and 3rd light then tape it off for a nice caulk joint and seal it with a good product.
XXXX, Did you have to tear into the head liner ? Or touch it at all ? Im trying to avoid it at all causes , unless its not as complicated than im making it in my head ? You got a pic or does anyone have pic s ... Thanx
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
XXXX, Did you have to tear into the head liner ? Or touch it at all ? Im trying to avoid it at all causes , unless its not as complicated than im making it in my head ? You got a pic or does anyone have pic s ... Thanx
I removed the dome light and coat hangars above the back window
Poke a screwdriver under the hook to depress the release, rotate 90 degrees, and remove....
Or do what I did... twist the snot out of them and the tabs will break, then reinstall them and the next time you order Toyota parts, order replacements
This will free the rear of the headliner.

Pull the weather stripping away from the top of the door(s).
Remove the A-pillar cover. Remove the B pillar cover. Remove the visor.
This will free the edge of the headliner

I ran mine down the passenger side, because I mounted my Sirius receiver behind the passenger kick panel, and the area behind the glove box is fairly uncluttered so it was easy to run the GPS antenna and harness for the Sirius receiver.
My hands and arms are skinny, so I am able to reach into the stereo opening, poke around a bit, and "shake hands with myself" with the other arm reaching in through the glove box.
WAY easier than routing things around on the cluster side of the dash with the brake/wheel/clutch and other moving parts to avoid.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I removed the dome light and coat hangars above the back window
Poke a screwdriver under the hook to depress the release, rotate 90 degrees, and remove....
Or do what I did... twist the snot out of them and the tabs will break, then reinstall them and the next time you order Toyota parts, order replacements
This will free the rear of the headliner.

Pull the weather stripping away from the top of the door(s).
Remove the A-pillar cover. Remove the B pillar cover. Remove the visor.
This will free the edge of the headliner

I ran mine down the passenger side, because I mounted my Sirius receiver behind the passenger kick panel, and the area behind the glove box is fairly uncluttered so it was easy to run the GPS antenna and harness for the Sirius receiver.
My hands and arms are skinny, so I am able to reach into the stereo opening, poke around a bit, and "shake hands with myself" with the other arm reaching in through the glove box.
WAY easier than routing things around on the cluster side of the dash with the brake/wheel/clutch and other moving parts to avoid.
Thanx Rich ... Ill be most likely doing that .
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No removal was done at all. I barely touched it. I have no pics (did it 4 years ago). Super easy in a access cab from 2008. I did have a friend helping me so I pushed it to him by hand.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
No removal was done at all. I barely touched it. I have no pics (did it 4 years ago). Super easy in a access cab from 2008. I did have a friend helping me so I pushed it to him by hand.
Ok , i got under the headliner by just taking the 2 coat hanger plastics off counterclokwise . My next question is i removed the red brake light lens cover off and pulled like hell on it and the plastic bracket would not budge . I then went inside cab under headliner and felt around for brake light bracket fasteners but couldnt put my hand on anything that felt like an inside fastener . Are there inside fasteners that the brake light fastens with ?