Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Relocating backup camera? Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper on new 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
GrrrlBushpilot is on a distinguished road

GrrrlBushpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Relocating backup camera? Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper on new 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma

Greetings from the proud new owner of a *hot* new red 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma with access cab and 6' bed.

I am on a medical hiatus from flying floatplanes up in BC, Canada, and Alaska and have recently relocated to the Pacific NW, where I am having no problem filling my free time with mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, climbing, back-country skiing, and the like...

The main goal of the purchase of our new toy is to install a Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper to assist my partner and me, along with Jackie-dog (our little 15-lb Jack Russell Terrorist -- she's in charge of clearing the area of wild squirrels and other varmints ) with our outdoor adventures. We have just ordered the Fleet model and are scheduled to take delivery the week of Jan. 21st. We love the new truck and are very excited to head out with the new camper on board!

My current project is to figure out how to relocate the backup camera (which I have found very useful and probably even more useful with the camper installed!) from the tailgate (which will need to be removed for installation of the camper) to ??? (ideas garnered from other threads on this site include: license plate holder, rear bumper, back of camper...).

Issues to consider:
1) I do want to be able to remove the camper and reinstall the tailgate periodically (to do farmgrrrl work! ...and commute to work), so I'm thinking a single reinstall that would save me having to buy another camera would be preferable.

2) We would like to carry our mountain bikes on a hitch-mounted rack, which could block a center-mount on a license plate. (maybe an off-center side mount?)

Any ideas? Other suggestions? Questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating backup camera? Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper on new 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma-tacoma-70.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
How much do these campers sell for?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #3

How do I move this thread to the best topic for good feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
How much do these campers sell for?
Well... they're not cheap! Base price is 13k, but with all the options we wanted (not fancy, just functional), it came to 18 and some change...

BTW, since you're obviously a master at this posting process, I realize now that this forum is only for intros, not for questions... Before I get flamed too badly for not being able to read and following the rules (like everyone else around here obviously does!), is there an easy way to move this thread to another forum? Just copy it? Or modify this one and move the relevant question to another? Which forum? (2nd Gen? Audio and Video? -- oops, there I go, asking questions again! )

I appreciate any gentle guidance (please don't sic your doberman on me!).
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck and welcome to the site, dont worry aboot TheMaster he is harmless.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

I would mount an aftermarket camera on the lic. plate bolts and see about making an adapter to fit the OEM cable to the new camera.

... an easier method is to buy a wireless cam and attach the monitor somewhere in the dash.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
Nice looking truck and welcome to the site, dont worry aboot TheMaster he is harmless.
That's what they all say... It's all fun and games until someone shoots out your eye!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
bryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the rough
Name: Bryan
bryanmichaelmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Did you figure out this mod? I am trying to do this also and the dealership is trying to tell me $800 for the camera. I am about to call toyota corporate.

Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrrlBushpilot View Post
Greetings from the proud new owner of a *hot* new red 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma with access cab and 6' bed.

I am on a medical hiatus from flying floatplanes up in BC, Canada, and Alaska and have recently relocated to the Pacific NW, where I am having no problem filling my free time with mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, climbing, back-country skiing, and the like...

The main goal of the purchase of our new toy is to install a Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper to assist my partner and me, along with Jackie-dog (our little 15-lb Jack Russell Terrorist -- she's in charge of clearing the area of wild squirrels and other varmints ) with our outdoor adventures. We have just ordered the Fleet model and are scheduled to take delivery the week of Jan. 21st. We love the new truck and are very excited to head out with the new camper on board!

My current project is to figure out how to relocate the backup camera (which I have found very useful and probably even more useful with the camper installed!) from the tailgate (which will need to be removed for installation of the camper) to ??? (ideas garnered from other threads on this site include: license plate holder, rear bumper, back of camper...).

Issues to consider:
1) I do want to be able to remove the camper and reinstall the tailgate periodically (to do farmgrrrl work! ...and commute to work), so I'm thinking a single reinstall that would save me having to buy another camera would be preferable.

2) We would like to carry our mountain bikes on a hitch-mounted rack, which could block a center-mount on a license plate. (maybe an off-center side mount?)

Any ideas? Other suggestions? Questions?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
welcome!.. how much do they weigh? ~700 lbs? I would look into upgrading suspension ( rear-end sucks) I think the easiest way is to go aftermarket w/ the camera and monitor ...
Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
bryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the roughbryanmichaelmeyer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
welcome!.. how much do they weigh? ~700 lbs? I would look into upgrading suspension ( rear-end sucks) I think the easiest way is to go aftermarket w/ the camera and monitor ...

Not sure you are responding to me. The 4 wheel campers do indeed weight around 600ish pounds. This is the easiest solution I found. Ordered yesterday:

http://www.jemkosystems.com/backup-c...acoma-255.html

I have an icon suspension, allpros, and just today had firestone bags installed in the rear. Looking forward to seeing how the bags have leveled it out.

Bryan
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
I would just buy aux. reverse camera setup and monitor so you don't void any warranty and have to mess too much with factory wiring I had my stock rear view mirror with backup cam short out the dealership couldn't even figure out what was going on nothing worked in my truck nor could I drive it they blamed me for my lights behind grill and my 600w amp that had a shop install
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
I would just buy aux. reverse camera setup and monitor so you don't void any warranty and have to mess too much with factory wiring I had my stock rear view mirror with backup cam short out the dealership couldn't even figure out what was going on nothing worked in my truck nor could I drive it they blamed me for my lights behind grill and my 600w amp that had a shop install
Luckily the route i am going requires no voiding of warranty or modifications.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
FRITACO is on a distinguished road
Name: KC
FRITACO's Tacoma Gallery
Relocate Back-up camera

Me too, I'd like to move the back-up camera but just bought it MAR13 (warranty issues). I want to back it up to a hitch while the tailgate is down. When the warranty is up im gonna try manipulating the camera case to pivot in 30 degree increments w/out having to take it out of the original position (next to the handle). The camera is linked to the (rear view) mirror with a serpentine wiring system to the back of the truck (seen wedged along the right side hinging when the tailgate is open). If I cant do this, I'll just anchor the camera on or under the bumper and replace the void with a Pop-Lock aftermarket.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
heliix is on a distinguished road

heliix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmichaelmeyer View Post
Not sure you are responding to me. The 4 wheel campers do indeed weight around 600ish pounds. This is the easiest solution I found. Ordered yesterday:

http://www.jemkosystems.com/backup-c...acoma-255.html

I have an icon suspension, allpros, and just today had firestone bags installed in the rear. Looking forward to seeing how the bags have leveled it out.

Bryan
bryanmichaelmeyer how did the install go with the aftermarket camera to the stock HU work for you? I am getting a cap with doors installed on a 2014 tacoma.

thanks
Mike
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliix View Post
bryanmichaelmeyer how did the install go with the aftermarket camera to the stock HU work for you? I am getting a cap with doors installed on a 2014 tacoma.

thanks
Mike
I had a LOT of problems with Jemko. Not to go into all the details they gave me the run around for a few weeks and never actually had it in stock...
Old 12-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #15
heliix is on a distinguished road

heliix's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever get the camera? I got the non pre wired version.