Notices

Time for a new stereo...

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
astropoverty is on a distinguished road
Marines:
astropoverty's Tacoma Gallery
Time for a new stereo...

So...

I have a 2009 double cab with the JBL system in it. So far I have had a bunch of trouble with it. 18 months ago, the volume knob stopped working and Toyota replaced the head unit. The new head unit was fine until last week... now there is no sound at all and the volume numbers are permanently at 24. The display on the head unit is missing several elements of the seven segment displays. I have tried to remove fuses and resetting the radio to the best of my ability, but I think it's shot. Either that or my amp is toast. I don't really know how to test which of these is busted so I'll take it in for that.

Because Toyota will charge me ~$750 to replace and install a new radio I have started looking at more capable aftermarket radios and after tons of research I have some questions that still need answers:

1.) I'm Looking at the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH/8400BH because it has 4V preouts and it will supposedly sound nicer with an amp. Is this true? Lesser units than the 4400 all have 2v preouts. Specifically, with respect to the OEM JBL amp, are the 4v vs 2v differences noticeable?

2.) I would like to use the existing OEM satellite antenna and, while I have done my research here, the only option I found was to buy some converter for a lexus (http://www.tss-radio.com/products/le...ntenna-adapter). Is this what I need or is this a cable I buy and then have to modify?

3.) As you have probably determined by now, I am a novice. I am pretty handy, but have no experience installing car stereos. Is this something I can do myself or am I out of my league here?

Thanks for any advice,
Ken
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I can only answer your second question, that wire you linked plugs into a spot in the front drivers kick panel and will connect your factory antenna to whatever your sat receiver is. You might want to call crutch field or TSS and ask them the best way to get a new radio with siriusxm.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
yes the pioneer radios imo are the way to go! but they now have the 2013 models out like the 5500bhs which i really like! also yes to the first question if you have 4v output it will be a stronger signal to your amp as far as noticeable it really depends some people say they cant tell and some people say you can.. and with the pioneer radios your looking at they have a better eq compared to others dbl dins out imo.. and to me you cant beat them with ipod/iphone interfacing! i cant give you an opinion on your second question becasue i have not looked into that but if you want siriusxm combined you need to go with the 2013 models because the 4400 and 8400 are either sirius or xm not siriusxm!
and to the third question its not out of you league for the radio install its actually really easy in our trucks just dont over think stuff and you should be ok!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
Red wire to red wire, and so forth