1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I install my components wrong?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hour, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Edit 1/6 - after I posted the diagrams below and read more // If you're just tuning in, I believe I did wire these correctly. I may have even been able to not cap off the factory tweeter harness since my new tweeters have internal crossovers. Ignore everything below saying the woofers had the internal crossover, they just have 4 terminals so you can send signal up to to the tweeters - again, I could have reused factory tweeter harness if I cut it where it becomes two wires and soldered to tweeter. I believe my error was reading all of the positive reviews for these speakers about bass, and expecting the setup to outperform stock in all ways. Since it's a mid range woofer (no clue what the factory one is but I assume full), I need to get a sub woofer and set my high pass filter up on my head unit. Then the mid range woofers and tweeters will be doing their thing crisp and clear, and sub (already ordered) will take care of the lows. I guess some people can get away with this setup if they have full range rear speakers handling the bass or something, but to just use this setup and nothing else will not sound as good as stock with any genre that has some deeper hits, even funk music. My bad, I'm an audio noob and didn't take 'mid-range' literally.

Was warm enough today to install speakers, so got to it (already have a Pioneer dvd headunit installed which helped stock speakers immensely). Did the drivers side door first using Rockford Fosgate 6.5" components.

I used a speaker baffle to get the woofer to fit and quickly DIY'd a mount for the tweeters reusing old bracket. The woofers have built in crossovers and Crutchfield only sent me a speaker adapter harness, so I connected the two wire speaker harness to a + and - on the woofer, and then connected the pre-wired tweeters to the other + and - on woofer. Again, tweeter was pre-wired by Rockford Fosgate, I just snaked wire down through the door and that was that.

Remembering about that 4 wire factory tweeter issue, and someone's fix, I snipped the factory tweeter plug off and wired red to red, black to black, wire capped, done. Everything works, so I assume that's good. However, the lows sound like absolute diarrhea.

Since I did just the drivers door before testing, I simply turned the key and music resumed playing. The factory setup on passenger side was 100% better in bass clarity. Anyway, I called Crutchfield and they said that it was impossible to have wired that up wrong (since there were two sets of positives, two sets of negatives, but they're all wired to the same single wire in woofer). I completed the install in the other door, and while the tweeters are absolutely awesome for highs, if I have any serious bass at even medium levels, it sounds very muddy. Even just listening to the woofers (ear down near them) sounds crapola.

Idunno how to tune these things but I did set the high pass cutoff to 'OFF' on my headunit and achieved much more bass in general, but yea, muddy. If I turn it to even 50hz I have almost no boom. I don't think I'm under powering these by any means, and have no intention of getting an amplifier for them.

Should I not have twisted those two reds and two blacks together from the factory speaker harness to close the loop? Am I tuning the head unit wrong? Am I retarded? The magnet and construction of these woofers takes endless dumps on the stock, yet doesn't sound good :(

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    Beach Taco

Beach Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint
    could wires going to 6.5 be backwards

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Like positive accidentally connected on a negative? The two positives on the 6.5 were larger pronged, I used the crutchfield speaker adapter which also had a large and small female slide connection, so I wouldn't think so..

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    You're not underpowering them with that head unit..no way.

Mess around with your head unit a little..not sure what you've got it set as now.

I don't know the trick with the factory wiring here so I can't comment..mine has an amp and 6x9's.

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Make up a little shitty wire diagram of how you wired it and post it.
    I am finding it hard to understand how you wired it.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Edit: sorry, the tweeter has the integrated crossover- quoted from product manual in blue text below

K, sorry for big pix and sloppiness. I tried to do everything in photoshop but that was proving to be a little tedious. Anyway, first is stock diagram, second is aftermarket diagram. I capped off the stock tweeter harness red to red, black to black, because I heard otherwise the two wires running to the speaker (stock or otherwise) wouldn't get power because of how they wired it. My head unit has the following features that seem to affect things - Loudness - has Low/med/hi settings. It seems to make things louder, yes, but also shittier sounding. It's almost like these woofers can't produce the lower frequencies without sounding like dook. Bass boost - again, just amplifies the problem, the bass won't really go 'low', it tries, and makes noise, but sounds nothing like the same bass notes on stock speakers / my home stereo, like higher pitch more distorted version of the bass. High Pass Filter - When off, the bass is much louder, and also the crappiest sounding. When on 50hz, bass lessens, distortion lessens. As the HPF # increases, bass decreases, clarity is achieved.

My desire and expectation was to be a bit better than stock, not shake like I had subs, it just seriously seems like these are incapable of playing music the way it was meant to be heard- almost necessitating the use of a subwoofer for the lows. I guess that's okay, I just can't figure out why so many people on Amazon with the same product said the bass is amazing if it can't do it.

stockSpeakers_zps16f9617e_18ca876f0502e7bb7cf0b0f73bade2d2cf0d8727.jpg

And how it currently is

aftermarketSpeakers3_zps8eb8bbac_c6c65a0e886d6b3cd6fd7df6ad4047423965e105.jpg

Manual states that the midrange has freq response 60-20kHz and the tweeter is 2.5kHz-22kHz

7. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    Beach Taco

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint
    Take 6.5 out, take head unit out, run a wire to 6.5 from head unit (out in open). Leave tweeter wired up to 6.5.
    Or
    (prefered method little less time).

Leave the head unit in find the 2 wires in the kick panel and follow them thru door boot to inside of door(passenger side prefered, less wires to pick from and thru)find out the factory colors to the right front(i have the color diagram at home) and cut them before they reach the tweeter. Send them to the 6.5".Keep your wire you installed hooked from 6.5 to tweeter. This eliminates all of the harness's and twisting wires. See if this helps.

If you need to fish a new wire thru door boots try using a large wire tie (12-16inches) with some hand soap or other lubricant that will dry and not destroy wires in the long run. Found this advice from Tacoma Worlds Audio Guru Mr. Marv article. This guy is good if you read any of his threads. Really knows his Tacoma's and audio. Hope this helps

8. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    Beach Taco

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    What kind of sub did you get? Amp? Just re-read your edit. and you have a single cab, So everything you have are fronts. Thought about sending those components back, getting a better pair and 4 channel amp to run fronts and sub. Just a suggestion. I bought some speakers from crutchfield did not like, was not as loud or quality i wanted. Crutchfield gladly took them back and sent be something better. They are very good about that even if they have been installed ., I think you have 90 days.

9. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    06yfz450ridr

06yfz450ridr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    same on my tacoma except im running an alpine deck and speakers without a factory amp for the speakers. not sure if yours has one either but i know i have the same issue. there is no bass comming from them at all. i had the same setup in my old saturn a while back with a factory amp for the speakers and they sounded really good. I think its just not enough power going to everything as you try to crank them. anything over 19 out of 30 it sounds horrible for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top