Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

JBL amps are "smart"?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
astropoverty is on a distinguished road
Marines:
astropoverty's Tacoma Gallery
JBL amps are "smart"?

I am about to go through the process of installing a new pioneer head unit (avh-x3500bhs) and I have been reading about the install process for the PAC-TATO. From the tato instructions:

Note: BEFORE REMOVING THE FACTORY RADIO: BALANCE AND FADE IT TO THE CENTER, TURN THE RADIO UP TO AT LEAST 3/4 VOLUME, TURN THE RADIO OFF, TURN THE IGNITION OFF & THEN PROCEED WITH REMOVING THE FACTORY RADIO

I assume this is because the JBL amps are smart and need to be set at a certain volume before the JBL head unit is removed from the equation.

The problem is that my JBL head unit failed and when it did, the volume was nowhere near the 3/4 volume level. Is there any way to correct this prior to installation of a new head unit or am I poked?

Thanks for any help,
Ken
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
that is how the pac interfaces work i guess.. it is like that in the chryslers when we install them with the pac interface but at the same time i have never used the pac harness for the jbl.. if the volume is not adjusted up before cutting off the radio some times the volume will be really low with the pac.. at the shop i am at we use the metra tyto-01 because they have an adjustment on the side that allows you to adjust the input level frome the new radio after the new radio is installed.. here is a picture of the side of the metra harness and the adjustment that we use..(excuse the bad typing in the picture i did it along time ago and never fixed it)