Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

what is WRONG with my system?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptedtheory View Post
Don't think theres more than one pre-amp on my headunit.
@ryan, I'm near certain the sub is properly wired, and definitely no sign of loose connections. The wiring I am not certain on however. I have positive connecting to the opposite negative on the sub, and each remaining positive and negative linking to the amp, just as it seems it would be i thought
Google your HU, if it's recently made I bet it's got more than one. But honestly I would do the jury rig method of wiring your amp right to battery outside of the truck and see if you can get it to play.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
adaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shed

adaptedtheory's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Should be good, he mentioned earlier trying it on a home system and it worked..
Yup, same speaker wire that went from the sub to the amp is the one that went from the sub to the home system we tested, which worked
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
adaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Google your HU, if it's recently made I bet it's got more than one. But honestly I would do the jury rig method of wiring your amp right to battery outside of the truck and see if you can get it to play.
My headunit isn't that new, or that nice at all. It's my next upgrade haha. I'm going to a shop tomorrow
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad idea but you probably have more than one preout. I remember back in the day when they didn't..now it's 2-3 seems the standard.

I wouldn't buy a new radio just yet, at least not till we know if the amp is good
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Not a bad idea but you probably have more than one preout. I remember back in the day when they didn't..now it's 2-3 seems the standard.

I wouldn't buy a new radio just yet, at least not till we know if the amp is good
I'm heading into the same shop that helped me out with my speaker install either tonight, or tomorrow. They said they'd test all my stuff for me, they have some better tools resources and knowledge than me HA. I'll let you guys know what they tell me.. My amp still has a 3 yr warranty... hoping for the best
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #26

well apparently we didn't test the sub on the home system well enough....

blew the sub. Heard that Sundown was helpful about this stuff but just sent them an email... thanks anyone and thank you for any further advice... definite bummer..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Damn man..did you have other speaker running on the home system and maybe just didn't realize the sub was cooked? That's my guess...

Glad you chased it down though brother..and the good news is it may cost a few bucks but it's the least amount of work to do that versus replace your wiring.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #28

I think we were playing it at a low level and it was actually putting out a little so we assumed it was working. Didn't think a 500W Kicker could blow that sub.. just didn't pay enough attention.. hopefully I can get it repaired for an ok price though
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
RedTacomaTy is on a distinguished road
RedTacomaTy's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear that . But if you blew the voice coil it is probably not worth fixing.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptedtheory View Post
I think we were playing it at a low level and it was actually putting out a little so we assumed it was working. Didn't think a 500W Kicker could blow that sub.. just didn't pay enough attention.. hopefully I can get it repaired for an ok price though
It can happen with less, just sometimes stupid luck..that's like wondering why some engines go before their time, etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #31

I know I'm bumping this from a month ago, but thought it was interesting: sent in my blown Sundown to them (NM to NC). They got it on Tuesday. Wednesday they sent me a free one (which I got today) for no charge! I was pretty happy with that customer service, that's for sure... awesome company...