Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Replace JBL Speakers?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Replace JBL Speakers?

I have a 2013 DC Sport with the JBL Entune w/ Nav. I am considering replacing the JBL speakers with Polk Audio or equivalent. Would I see an appreciable improvement?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Anything is better over the stock speakers even if you have the upgraded JBL speakers.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I replaced the stock speakers in my Ridgeline and it made a huge improvement. Just wasn't sure of the quality of the JBL speakers.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Thanks. I replaced the stock speakers in my Ridgeline and it made a huge improvement. Just wasn't sure of the quality of the JBL speakers.
Well mine is a 2006 Sports edition with the upgraded JBL system and I was never impressed by it case I had another buddy with a 2006 Tacoma without the JBL and you could hardly tell the difference. Unless they changed with the newer models but I havent heard.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Are we talking about the sub also? I've wondered how it would sound if a better sub was put in the factory box? One, would the factory amp have enough power to sound decent? And two, what about the acoustic of the box? Would an aftermarket sub sound right in it?

I don't want to put a lot into it like I used to but I'm sure the factory speakers wont last very long.

Mine sounds good enough for me, just want to be able to replace when the time comes without paying Toyota prices for something that wont last.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
The JBL's are better than the regular ones but not much better. You can turn the volume up higher without hearing them crackle like the regular ones though it's not something impressive. They're decent. If I could have had a TRD package without them I would have opt not to have them and just build up my own system.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
m_yota will become famous soon enough

m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
The JBL's are better than the regular ones but not much better. You can turn the volume up higher without hearing them crackle like the regular ones though it's not something impressive. They're decent. If I could have had a TRD package without them I would have opt not to have them and just build up my own system.
I second that motion. I noticed a small improvement. Install some comps up front with some coaxial . Kenwood's. now I'm thinking of installing some amps
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Are we talking about the sub also? I've wondered how it would sound if a better sub was put in the factory box? One, would the factory amp have enough power to sound decent? And two, what about the acoustic of the box? Would an aftermarket sub sound right in it?

I don't want to put a lot into it like I used to but I'm sure the factory speakers wont last very long.

Mine sounds good enough for me, just want to be able to replace when the time comes without paying Toyota prices for something that wont last.
I found the 4runner guys upgrade their sub and amp using the stock jbl box . Do a quick google search you'll see what I'm talking about .

I think the jbl is ok , I really like the head unit . But the speakers could be better .
I'm actually getting alot of rattle when I turn the volume up a fair amount . I can't seem to pin point the exact source of it though .
Anyone else have a similar issue ?

Is it the sub or the plastic panels around it ?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
I found the 4runner guys upgrade their sub and amp using the stock jbl box . Do a quick google search you'll see what I'm talking about .

I think the jbl is ok , I really like the head unit . But the speakers could be better .
I'm actually getting alot of rattle when I turn the volume up a fair amount . I can't seem to pin point the exact source of it though .
Anyone else have a similar issue ?

Is it the sub or the plastic panels around it ?
It's been said on here that it is the plastic. I've been told told stuff a towel in between the box and seat to fix it. I've never got around to trying it though.