Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

HU Ground

Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
stanbp64 is on a distinguished road
stanbp64's Tacoma Gallery
HU Ground

Where have you guys found to be the best place to ground an aftermarket HU? Chasing some noise on my system and the stock radio ground doesn't seem to be good enough. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
cdk has a spectacular aura aboutcdk has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
cdk's Tacoma Gallery
i just hooked to factory harness, but you might be able to connect to one of the 4 screws you take out to pull the headunit.
i'm not sure if those are grounded or not.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
I've got Alpine component speaks in front and some Kenwood 3-ways in back. Also using an Alpine kpt-445U 45watt amp. And as i stated, the stock harness ground doesn't seem to be good enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
try taking a small piece of wire and while the vehicle is on and has the noise your trying to find touch one side of the wire to a good ground and the other side to the metal piece of the rca where it is pluged in to the radio.. and let me know if it fixes it... it doesnt matter which rca just touch it to one of them and let me know if it helps and we can go from there..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Talking

Hey Kevin, I actually have the rcas at the HU grounded to the factory ground now(thru the harness). I am pretty sure I tried grounding them to another spot by doing what you said. I have a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT HU and I have read all about the "pico fuse" problem. I was certain that was my problem but the normal grounding of the rcas hasn't helped.
The noise is definitely coming from the charging system because when i turn key to first position it is not there. In the next position it is, as well as when the truck is started. I don't know if you have ever noticed it or not but if you turn the key to the second position and lift the hood you can hear the charging system(altenator) buzzing/whining.(at least on mine and my wife's Tacoma) This is the sound that i hear thru speakers if i cut the gain on the amp up much at all.
Right now i probably have the gains on the amp at less than a quarter and while it sounds good and is probably not that far off from where they should be- if I turn gains up any more i hear the whine in between tracks or during quiet parts of the music. It just bugs the hell out of me.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to try and give an explanation of what is going on. I'm getting tired of pulling the HU out too---I have trouble getting it all back in with all the wires and such. Thanks for looking!!

Stan
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbp64 View Post
I've got Alpine component speaks in front and some Kenwood 3-ways in back. Also using an Alpine kpt-445U 45watt amp. And as i stated, the stock harness ground doesn't seem to be good enough.
what is your amp grounded too?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
The amp was gounded to the factory HU ground thru harness but I have since move it to a screw in the firewall--I don't know what it's for but plenty of metal contact. Amp is installed in glove box. The amp is designed to work off the HU power and ground and speaker wires.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
just thought about this.. i have had a similar problem. in the radio settings do you have the loud on or the eq cut up kind of high? I had the loud on with my last taco and i had a 4 channel amp.. i cut the loud off and adjusted the settings on the radio down then re-adjusted the amp and the noise was gone...
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
I wil give this a try. Thanks.