Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Audio gurus help me out!!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Audio gurus help me out!!

Hey guys, just bought this sub:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P3S-1X12.html

My question is, can I use this amp to power it? Some have told me I can't, some told me if I run the wires in series instead of parallel, I can. The sub is wired internally to produce a 1ohm load. I was told since it is dual voice coil, I can open it up, run the wires in series and my amp should be okay. Here is the specs on my amp. It's not stable at 1ohm so I need advice.

Pioneer GM-5500T with specs:

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels
RMS power @ 4 ohms 125 watts x 2 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 190 watts x 2 channels
RMS Power @ 1 ohm Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power 400 watts x 1 channels
Peak Power Output 820 watts x 1 channels
Amplifier Specifications
Amplifier Class AB
Number of Channels 2
Total Peak Power Output 820 watts
Total RMS Power Output 400 watts
Maximum Input Gauge Size 4 AWG
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged 4 ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.05%
Speaker Level Inputs Yes
Preamp Outputs No
Built-in Crossover Low-pass (LP)
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 500 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 98 dB
Bass Boost Selectable (0, 6, 12dB)
Bass/Gain Remote No
Fan Cooled No
Fuse Rating 25A x 2
CEA-2006 Compliant Yes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
id run a decent class D mono block honestly.........it will power the sub CLEANLY without overheating.

u always wanna have more power than ur driver can handle, and just use ur head and know when to stop cranking the volume so u dont distort it....especially with a 12, they are more prone to distort due to them being less rigid than some smaller subs due to surface area.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
But will it be okay if I do it? My amp generates 400w at 4ohms bridged. If I wire the sub like this

It will create a 4ohm load, correct? Since the sub is a dual voice coil. If this can be done, I'd rather save some money.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if Im missing something but the sub you linked is wired for 1 ohm.

"st make sure you pair it with a 1-ohm stable amplifier. "
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Beach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to behold

Beach Taco's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Who Dat Popcorn;6292444]But will it be okay if I do it? My amp generates 400w at 4ohms bridged. If I wire the sub like this

It will create a 4ohm load, correct? Since the sub is a dual voice coil. If this can be done, I'd rather save some money.[/QUOgo for it looks goodTE]
yes. looks right, long as you got the wattage you want at 4 ohms.