Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Can I Keep Stock Speaker Wires w/ New System?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Can I Keep Stock Speaker Wires w/ New System?

Hello Everyone,

Noob question. I have a 2005 DC with JBL sound. I'm planning on upgrading to a new HU with a 5-channel amp (door speakers & 1 sub) and new door speakers all around. For simplicity sake, I would like to use the existing speaker wire, especially since all the speaker wires converge in the rear where the new sub will be installed. Through other threads I've found which color wire goes to which door. I'm comfortable cutting into the existing wires and splicing them to the new amp.

Sorry, long opening, so here is the question. I'm wanting to install new component speakers in the front. What are my best options to simply installation? Would I be able to integrate an external crossover into the stock wiring? Would it be best to go for a component system with an integrated crossover? Other options?

Also, I know keeping and using the stock wiring isn't optimal but I'm looking for time savings right now. Maybe I'll go all new in the future. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about the component set, I'll let someone else take that. I used a pair of 6x9's and also retained the stock tweets..my guy pulled new wire b/c I didn't have the JBL, just another way to go.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
If your installing a 5 channel amp run new speaker wiring
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input so far. Any other thoughts or insights?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks NM Taco. I'm in Rio Rancho. More and more it seems like running new wire is the best way to go.

That being said, let me pose a new question. What's the best way to lay out the wire for a new installation? I know to run the amp power along the driver side back to the amp. How about the HU RCA out to the amp? From amp to door speakers? Anybody find a best method for this?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The sill plates pop out really easy. Make sure your rcas are long enough, i have my amp under the drivers seat so i had to run the rcas on the drivers side and amp power on the passenger side. Getting new wiring thru the rubber boot in the door is kinda tricky, i pulled them thru with a coat hanger.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
sparks772 is on a distinguished road
sparks772's Tacoma Gallery
For the boots I used a zip tie which I saw suggested on mr.marvs tutorial, also if your mounting your amp under driver seat get more than 50' of wire Wally World has cheap scoche spools that I used. Evan what size rca's did you use for your amp, my kit came with 16' but I was told specifically not to coil the slack up as it could create signal noise and that I should try to find 9' ones but I can't seem to find 9 ' ones lol. Only thing I "could" do would be to route RCA cables around back seat then to the amp but that's a hassle lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

My RCAs are 11.5 feet. The length worked out pretty well, i left some slack behind the kick panel but i didn't have to much slack to the point i had to coil them up
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I use an old car antenna to feed the power wire through the firewall and also used the same antenna to push speaker wire into the doors. I ran all 12g wire and running 2 pairs into the doors (tweeter/woofer) was a bitch. Lithium grease makes it a lot easier.

If you run and aftermarket deck, run better speaker wire.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I use an old car antenna to feed the power wire through the firewall and also used the same antenna to push speaker wire into the doors.
Good idea!
I ran all 12g wire and running 2 pairs into the doors (tweeter/woofer) was a bitch.
X2
Lithium grease makes it a lot easier.
Good idea!
If you run and aftermarket deck, run better speaker wire.
X2