1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scored a Clarion vx400 w/ navi for free - some questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 07SpeedwaySport, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport [OP] Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    So I got this out of a truck I bought for export, they won't need it there so i ripped it out and want to drop it into my taco...I have done plenty of simple headunit installs but not one with steering wheel controls, gps or anything like that. Just wiring harness to wiring harness and plug and play.

I have 2006 TRD with 6 disc changer, but not JBL. (I think)

Here is the description of what I found:
    http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...nit/VX400/us-en-product-pf_1259394334491.html

As mentioned above, it also has the NP400 (navi) which I didn't realize was a separate unit.

It came from a Lx470 so i thought it would be plug and play, but the jerk who installed it there didn't buy a wiring harness and sliced into the factory harness. Needless to say, I bought the harness for the taco. i also got the metra dash kit coming.

Here is where i need help:
    I need a good place to mount the navi unit- hidden. A good place to mount the antenna- hidden.

I don't want to lose my steering wheel control, so from what I read, i need the SWI-JACK. I saw them priced from $35 to 75. Is there a difference?
    I also saw a nice write up here on TW, but confused about the 'programming" so i guess i will read again thoroughly and the directions that come with the SWI.

I am wondering what the USB on the back is for, can i just hook a cable that goes to my iphone? Can i just add an extention and plug my phone in there? Will it play my videos that way? Will it charge my phone?

My main intentions are navigation and blue tooth. I am not too concerned with music, but to get pandora to play thru it (via aux jack or USB) would be pretty damn awesome.

And tips or advise would be much appreciated. I will attempt this job as soon as all my parts come in...

Products Discussed in

To Top