1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate CB Radio Install Write Up

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 0LyRunner, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    0LyRunner

0LyRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    There are a lot of CB radio install threads, but very few where the antenna is connected to the tailgate. So I thought I would write up one for anyone wanting to do the same. This was my first CB install and this will be my first write up.

I have only previously dealt with wires the previous weekend, a friend helped me put in my new halos. So if I can do this, you can do this.

I bought the tailgate mount from Famous Fabrication and ordered 2' Firestick, Spring, Stud to connect on the mount, and bought a 20' Coax Cable.

[​IMG]

This is under the tailgate, the left wires are from the tail light.
    I opened the tail light and fed the wire back through here. To the right is to the front of the truck
    [​IMG]

All I did from there was find a path way that wouldn't disrupt anything and zip-tied it until I found the grommet under the driver seat, I just put it on the outside and filled the hole back up, seems tight enough but I might fix it to make it tighter.
    [​IMG]

I took off the door sill (step) to fish the coax cable from under the seat to this previous hole.
    [​IMG]

From there you can put your CB radio where you wish, right now mine is a temporary placement. Just nudged between my seat and the center console.
    [​IMG]

My positive (red) wire is connected in a fuse slot behind the coin tray, I picked a random 20 watt slot (if you take the tray out its really easy to get to) and negative (black) wire is grounded to a bolt behind there as well (don't know if its the best for a ground, but I got it to work)

If it would help to get pictures of the wiring just let me know I will upload them for you.

2. Feb 3, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Any problems w/ interference from the other electrical wiring? I get a bit of hiss when my truck is running that goes away when the truck is off.

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    slinkey11

slinkey11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    id like to see a picture of how the antenna looks with that mount from a distance. I have been eyeing those mounts for a while but was thinking of a 4 foot fiberglass whip. I think a picture of yours could help me decide. Thanks

4. Feb 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Mark, I had the same thing with my radio, I ended up finding a stereo filter that actually works nicely. Its made by pyramid.

5. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    After driving around with it for a little while, I could hear a little background noise, I think I need to upgrade the CB I have.
    Where is the noise coming from? the CB itself or the truck?

Here you go. I liked it on the tailgate so I can still use my Tonnue Cover and so I didn't have the the antenna in the way of my view when I'm driving.
    And shipping from Famous Fab was really fast. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

6. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It is static hiss when the truck is running from the CB. I can cut it out with the squelch, but I haven't played around yet to see what kinda reception range I'm getting at the current settings. I gotta see how effective it is, and then decide if I'm going to reroute everythng or not.

7. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Ah, I see I know slim to known about CB's or radios so I will have to do more homework.
    I know I need to do a reading with my antenna and I can tune it. Just don't have the tools.
    I got my crappy little CB radio from a friend for free, he had an extra one so then I decided to go with the mod :) I didn't really know where else to wire it up at? or would I use an unused port? Might be better?

8. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    slinkey11

slinkey11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    Thank you that helps a lot and looks really good. I have a shell so i think this is exactly what i need.

As far as wiring CBs i have always been told to run the power straight from the battery and the ground should be as short as possible. I have run many CB set ups this way and never had an issue with a hiss. But every vehicle is different and i have yet to put one in my tacoma.

Now if you have a whine like noise it is usually alternator whine and grounding straps are commonly used to reduce that.

Do tune your radio to the antenna with an SWR meter. They are pretty cheap http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-accessories/cb-swr-meter/10-watt-swr-meter-reviews.html and will keep your radio from burning up.

Some people hate on these cheaper meters but when i tested this one against three other more expensive meters they all had the exact same readings.

9. Feb 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner

Alright, cool I appreciate the heads up. And No problem, I should have included that picture in the first place. I wrote this write up because I couldn't find any info and pictures to this exact set up. So, glad I could help.

10. Apr 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    WSMFP

WSMFP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 v6 6-speed
    Great right up and pictures! planning on the same setup. Im having issues finding a reliable 20ft coax cable for CBs. Can mainly find 18ft ones, did you find yourself having too much or just enough using the 20ft one?

11. Apr 10, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It had some excess, but from what I remember it was nothing I had worried about. I remember it was kinda nice to be able to pull it all the way from under my seat. Maybe 5’ extra

WSMFP likes this.
  12. Apr 10, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    Frito

Frito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks good !

I kind of like the antenna location but the first time I catch my shoulder on it rounding the tail of the truck, tearing my shirt and peeling the bark off my upper arm, I'm gonna be pissed.

I had one of the hood ones that tied to the hinge on my Gen II, thinking about doing it again but I have to find a low profile one. I don't leave the antenna on there all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top