thats from amazon, hope to get this set up
also need the install kit for this truck for a double din
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
So what do you think of the Alpine KTP-445U? I was thinking of using one to run my new door speakers (JBL GTO components) instead of putting a 4channel amp under my seat. I have seen pretty good reviews on it so far, but just wondering how it worked for you.
I really like it!! I mounted it on top of the plastic piece that is above the glove box. It is underated for it output. It drives my Polk Audio's hard and very clear. I have not had any issues at all with it. The install was very simple, did not require alot of extra adjustment adn is not visible at all. It is perfect for what I wanted.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
magee13 is on a distinguished road
magee13's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you run the ipod/iphone wires?

Set up looks great.
I'm considering this same model, but I'm wondering about the connection for the ipod/iphone. Right now I've got the adapter that lets me connect an ipod into the stock radio as if it's a CD changer (not using the AUX input). I've got those cables running into the glove box and just keep the ipod in there.

Since this HU allows a lot more functionality out of the iphone (like pandora), I'm wanting the cable to be a bit more accessible for the iphone, but I still like the idea of hiding the ipod away and having it connected for just basic listening purposes.

Any ideas?? I don't guess there's a way to split the USB and have one go to the glove box and one go to a port below the A/C??

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #44
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, you should compile a write up of your install.
I know what parts I want in my system but not totally sure on what wiring and whatnot needs to be run, itd be good to see how you installed yours
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
video!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
anamorphic is on a distinguished road
anamorphic's Tacoma Gallery
What parking break bypass did you use?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #47
RicWolffJr1 is on a distinguished road
RicWolffJr1's Tacoma Gallery
GPS

Love the set up. I was thinking of getting the 8500 because I have an Android phone....I saw in one of your posts you said the 550 synced fine with Android....I was under the impression you had to have the 8500 to run android. Also, have you run any of the GPS apps through the radio yet? Can you run GPS and listen to radio or pandora? I Have read some complaints where you cannot listen to radio while running GPS???? Any help you have answering these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicWolffJr1 View Post
Love the set up. I was thinking of getting the 8500 because I have an Android phone....I saw in one of your posts you said the 550 synced fine with Android....I was under the impression you had to have the 8500 to run android. Also, have you run any of the GPS apps through the radio yet? Can you run GPS and listen to radio or pandora? I Have read some complaints where you cannot listen to radio while running GPS???? Any help you have answering these questions would be greatly appreciated!
I run GPS through my phone and am able to continue listening to the music. If I use the headunit the music is cancelled and only audible is the direction notifications. It works well with my Iphone to where the only break in the music is the notifications, for example "turn right in XXX feet" etc.

My wife has the samsung G3 and has not had any issues at all. You do not need the 8500 to sync successfully with an Android phone.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
Awesome, you should compile a write up of your install.
I know what parts I want in my system but not totally sure on what wiring and whatnot needs to be run, itd be good to see how you installed yours
I guess I should have taken more pics...

I can answer any of your questions if you IM me or post here. as for the wiring it is not complicated if you take it one piece at a time. I utilized as many harnesses as I could to make the install that much easier and to limit the amount of cutting/splicing I had to do to the OEM wiring.

I did my install one piece at a time so that I could answer any questions from member on "how it sounds with the headunit and stock speakers", and "how much of a difference did just the amp make".

My goal with this install was to not lose any original equipment function while achieving much greater sound without completely breaking a budget. I am very happy with the results and it is perfect for my needs. It took alot of research and time on TW to come up with the best system for what I wanted.

Thanks to all who offered thier time and assistance!!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamorphic View Post
What parking break bypass did you use?
Dont remember the exact name of it but it was the only one compatibe with the 5500 and was $20 on amazon.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #51
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Love this setup - very much along the lines of what I want to do. How does the truck sound overall when you have it all turned up? i.e. do you have a rattle trap now since you didn't install any sound deadener?

Great job
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #52

9 months later and it is still perfect for what I wanted. All the speakers/subwoofer/amp/deck are mated together well and not one part of the system is over bearing. The subwoofer is perfectly blended to the speakers and they provide a complete sound. all the auxiliary parts work flawlessly and I have had no issues other than fine tuning to do to the system. No I don't have any issues with the truck sounding like a "rattle trap" lol. It sounds great and since I tuned the deck/amp etc it sounds perfect for what I wanted. I still intend on installing sound deadener but there is no immediate need. Good luck with your system.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #53
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
OP Thank you for the thread I have been considering this same setup and you answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again now to save up some $$$
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #54

Gladly, I hope this thread helps. I know how the $$$$ goes, I did a lot of research while I was saving up and am 100% happy with my choices. PM me with Q's if you come up with any.

I am in and out for a couple weeks at a time so if I don't get right back to you that is why.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #55
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SilverSport View Post
Gladly, I hope this thread helps. I know how the $$$$ goes, I did a lot of research while I was saving up and am 100% happy with my choices. PM me with Q's if you come up with any.

I am in and out for a couple weeks at a time so if I don't get right back to you that is why.

Cool that thanks Buddy I am hoping in the next few weeks I'll have it narrowed down and/or ordered.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #56
DecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shedDecaturTide is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DecaturTide's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to purchase some Polk DXI651s for the front and back speakers in my 2000 PreRunner.

How do the Polk's sound? I've got a good Kenwood head unit.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #57
trdspectacoma is on a distinguished road
trdspectacoma's Tacoma Gallery
can you use the stock mic? or do you have to run the aftermarket one. I love the stock mic and location
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #58
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

Name: Dennis
2013TacoLTD's Tacoma Gallery
I did not use the stock mic (from whayt I read, the one that comes with the head unit is way better quality). I put the mic on the plastic that connects the mirror to the window. It is hard to even see.

I did get the stock satelite antena to work for SirusXM.

I have the 8500 model head unit and love it except for the screen resolution. Impossible to see with sunglasses on and really washed out in the sun. I have been playing with the settings for week now with no improvement.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #59
trdspectacoma is on a distinguished road
trdspectacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #60
RicWolffJr1 is on a distinguished road
RicWolffJr1's Tacoma Gallery

I too have the 8500 and have the same issues with washout. During a sunny day it is really hard to see anything on the screen. I have tried several different angles and mounting brackets and have even cut the dimmer wire so it is at it's brightest at all times and nothing seems help. Pretty disappointed in that aspect. The functions of the unit are outstanding. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and use a Samsung Allshare cast wireless hub attached to the unit so it is completely wireless. I can run everything through the head unit. It completely mirrors my phone, not like Appradio that I think is crap. you just go to settings on the phone and go to "more Settings" and go to the very bottom and click on screen mirroring and it brings your phone screen up on the head unit. Can do navigation, internet, Watch Netflix, check emails...EVERYTHING. Do not have to plug anything into the phone. Also does Pandora wirelessly. LOVE IT...If I can just figure out this screen issues!!!!!! I will try you get some pictures.

Products Discussed in this Thread