Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Driver Side Door Rattle (2012 Tacoma)

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Driver Side Door Rattle (2012 Tacoma)

Well after installing the new Image Dynamic speakers and Pioneer Head unit, my truck screams when I turn it up - before I could max out the volume on the stock head unit and be left wanting more....The comparison is apples and oranges now with the new set up. Anywho, my driver side door panel always rattled when certain bass notes would hit or if a certain frequency went through the door - I bet you cuold imagine what it sounded like with the new equipment.

I refuse to drive a vehicle that requires my leg to always be pushing against the door so I went to work this weekend to figure out what was rattling and how to prevent it.

First I took the door skin off and went to town wrapping all the wires in felt sheets then in Neoprene (can buy sheets from Michael's for $0.59) After that was compelted, I bolted the door back up and still had the rattle. I then concluded that it was the window regulator/door lock switch that was vibrating within it's housing. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of felt strip for about $2. I removed the console and lined the whole edge with the felt strip and forced it back into the holster. Viola, no more rattles! I do not have to use my leg to push against the door when going past 10 on the volume anymore.

Just a heads up for anyone dealing with the same issue. Now off to find a way to stop the rattle occuring from the seatbelt adjuster area.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same door rattle and something up by my left ear rattle. Haven't confirmed its the seatbelt adjuster though. Keep us updated.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
dawhitetacoma is on a distinguished road
dawhitetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
First I took the door skin off and went to town wrapping all the wires in felt sheets then in Neoprene (can buy sheets from Michael's for $0.59) After that was compelted, I bolted the door back up and still had the rattle. I then concluded that it was the window regulator/door lock switch that was vibrating within it's housing. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of felt strip for about $2. I removed the console and lined the whole edge with the felt strip and forced it back into the holster. Viola, no more rattles! I do not have to use my leg to push against the door when going past 10 on the volume anymore.

Just a heads up for anyone dealing with the same issue. Now off to find a way to stop the rattle occuring from the seatbelt adjuster area.
Where exactly did you put the felt? One the window control or the door panel where the control goes?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you OP I have the same issue now I know where to look. Keep us posted on the adjuster rattle please!!!!!

Added a REP for you also
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture showing where I put the felt tape on the window regulator panel and door skin:

I would probably even put some tape on the panel closest to my hand behind the latch. Do that to both sides and you should be good to go.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
dawhitetacoma is on a distinguished road
dawhitetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pic! I seem to have gotten rid of mine. I just got like a car washing sponge and stuffed it in the hole so it would put some pressure in there. I still have a slight sound, but I think my tweeter is blown smh...
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
MrGlipsby is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
MrGlipsby's Tacoma Gallery
When pulling off the black plastic tray containing the windows/door lock, where do you pop it out from?

I'm about to lose my mind hearing this rattling noise, but I don't wanna break the plastic when pulling it off.

It's difficult to see from your pic where the best spot to pull up on it is.

Any advice would be appreciated.